News Welcome to West Coast - Patrick Bines

Remove this Banner Ad

Harrowing reading.

Should the club have done more to support him? Especially given the Venables incident as well.
The thing is how do we know they didnt. It doesn't sound like he blames the club. There has to be a line where the club moves aside and lets the insurance/AFL take over. Unfortunately for Bines it looks like he got screwed over with the latter.

Harrowing reading.

Should the club have done more to support him? Especially given the Venables incident as well.

Would've helped if he was a high draft pick, or at least had a slim chance of rehabilitation and returning to the field.
Then they would have a reason to support him.
Very disappointing if we simply gave him his marching orders and offered no additional support in regards to recovery or his life post-football/sports career. Hoping that we assisted him somehow.
Like the above poster said perhaps since he expressed no animosity towards the club means that we did.

I think it’s a fair bet that if the Herald Sun could’ve thrown any s**t at the club, they would have.

Feels like we should do something to help him out, even if it’s as simple as rattling cans at the next game.

Very cold just to cut him like that with no acknowledgement at all of his circumstances.

Scary how such an innocuous contest in AFL can have such life altering consequences. Makes you think twice about pushing your own kids to go hard in games.
True that.

The thing is how do we know they didnt. It doesn't sound like he blames the club. There has to be a line where the club moves aside and lets the insurance/AFL take over. Unfortunately for Bines it looks like he got screwed over with the latter.

Are you surprised? I see the usual blaming of the club has commenced, situation normal here 🙄🙄

The AFL/Insurance process is continuing to be exposed as highly flawed. This is just horrific. One can only hope that whoever takes over from Gillon can actually step up and address some of these issues. I hope Patrick gets as much as he can, he certainly is entitled to it. Horrible :(

Not blaming the club, just wondering whether we stayed abreast of his situation after he left and hoping we did all we could to support him personally/badger the AFL to change their process to help Bines, Venables and future players.

It's a question, not an accusation.

Do you agree that the comms team treats rookies and main list players the same way with regard to injuries?

There’s lesser known players that just get ignored/go missing at times. Often it’s rookie listers (Trew, Burrows, Bines) but it can be senior list players (Partington, Cameron, currently Bazzo).

There’s lesser known players that just get ignored/go missing at times. Often it’s rookie listers (Trew, Burrows, Bines) but it can be senior list players (Partington, Cameron, currently Bazzo).
Rookie injuries don’t even get included in their official injury list don't they? That’s what I was mostly referring to.

You were asking the question Carbine Chaos and a more than fair one at that 👍 I sincerely hope the club has provided support to Patrick and is continuing to where possible. Just an awful situation.

There are a few posts on the previous page that don’t read well, but that’s par for the course on this board TBH 🤷‍♂️
Nah, I think it's bullshit that the bloke gets a life-altering injury in service to the club and this is how we acknowledge it, two lines at end of a McInnes article - McInnes' journey ends, category B rookies delisted

1650343946107.png

I think that's ******* terrible form by our club to be honest

Do you agree that the comms team treats rookies and main list players the same way with regard to injuries?
I do not agree no. There does seem to be some disparity in reporting of injuries for main list players as compared to rookies. I don’t know if it is a league wide thing. Our comms team needs a significant overhaul in any case. I imagine that it isn’t overly well resourced 🤦‍♂️

Nah, I think it's bullshit that the bloke gets a life-altering injury in service to the club and this is how we acknowledge it, two lines at end of a McInnes article - McInnes' journey ends, category B rookies delisted

View attachment 1378014

I think that's ******* terrible form by our club to be honest

Ok… So the issue is communication? I agree with the clubs communications requiring an overhaul. I’m not sure what they could have done publicly at the time however? Delisted players don’t normally get farewell videos and grand tributes, unless they are a long time player or well “known”.

What I would be staggered (and very disappointed) with is if the club cast Patrick aside with little support or assistance from a health, well-being and possible financial perspective. From looking from the outside, one thing that we do seem to do well is the player welfare side of things. I sincerely hope the club has and continues to support Patrick where possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not agree no. There does seem to be some disparity in reporting of injuries for main list players as compared to rookies. I don’t know if it is a league wide thing. Our comms team needs a significant overhaul in any case. I imagine that it isn’t overly well resourced 🤦‍♂️

Ok… So the issue is communication? I agree with the clubs communications requiring an overhaul. I’m not sure what they could have done publicly at the time however? Delisted players don’t normally get farewell videos and grand tributes, unless they are a long time player or well “known”.

What I would be staggered (and very disappointed) with is if the club cast Patrick aside with little support or assistance from a health, well-being and possible financial perspective. From looking from the outside, one thing that we do seem to do well is the player welfare side of things. I sincerely hope the club has and continues to support Patrick where possible.
I'm not saying throw the guy a parade but if the first we're hearing of him having to retire due to a serious neck injury is from the herald sun over 3 years later then something is wrong don't you think?

I'm not saying throw the guy a parade but if the first we're hearing of him having to retire due to a serious neck injury is from the herald sun over 3 years later then something is wrong don't you think?
That entirely depends on if he wanted it made public at the time.

The club isn't going to announce he retired due to a medical condition if he didn't want it mentioned.

That entirely depends on if he wanted it made public at the time.

The club isn't going to announce he retired due to a medical condition if he didn't want it mentioned.
What's more likely, he didn't want it mentioned or that he's one of many rookie picks who just disappear (sometimes halfway through the season) never to be mentioned again.

Last edited:

To be honest no. It seems like quite a complex case. There could have been confidentiality matters etc. I would respect the fact that Patrick may not have wanted it advertised. Is it possible that the true extent of the injury wasn’t known at the time of his delisting? He may have believed he could play again, it sounds like it has been a nightmare for him since. Again, I sincerely hope the club has offered and provided support where possible. The AFL has a lot to answer for tbh. Just my thoughts anyway, agree to disagree 👍

To be honest no. It seems like quite a complex case. There could have been confidentiality matters etc. I would respect the fact that Patrick may not have wanted it advertised. Is it possible that the true extent of the injury wasn’t known at the time of his delisting? He may have believed he could play again, it sounds like it has been a nightmare for him since. Again, I sincerely hope the club has offered and provided support where possible. The AFL has a lot to answer for tbh. Just my thoughts anyway, agree to disagree 👍
Injuries get reported weekly, I doubt there's confidentiality matters.
To be clear, I'm not potting the club about whatever support they have offered Bines after he left.
Agree that the AFL seems to have dropped the ball with this, sounds like they need to divert some of that betting money to a better insurance policy

Yeah i think its time i look to put my super elsewhere.

I work in Financial Planning and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Having money with AMP is the equivalent of investing in Tobacco, doesn't matter what returns they promise, you feel dirty for being involved with them.

Injuries get reported weekly, I doubt there's confidentiality matters.
To be clear, I'm not potting the club about whatever support they have offered Bines after he left.
Agree that the AFL seems to have dropped the ball with this, sounds like they need to divert some of that betting money to a better insurance policy

Im in total agreement. It is utterly obscene, that the wealthiest sporting code in the country cannot even ensure proper insurance coverage for their players. Very difficult to reconcile when all we hear is about players “duty of care” and “health and well-being”.

Im in total agreement. It is utterly obscene, that the wealthiest sporting code in the country cannot even ensure proper insurance coverage for their players. Very difficult to reconcile when all we hear is about players “duty of care” and “health and well-being”.
Because deep down all they give a s**t about is money.
Actually not even that deep down

How about Colonial First State… (asking for a friend 🙈).

Eh, probably need to make a separate thread for this topic.

Depends which CFS product you have, some of their cheaper ones have the caveat that you need to invest in their managed funds to get the benefit of low management fees. It's effectively vertical integration, which is frowned upon these days.

The most popular super funds amongst advisers I talk to are probably Macquarie, BT Panorama & HUB24.
MLC, CFS & IOOF are probably the next rung down.

Harrowing reading.

Difficult to see how we couldn't put his name on a desk and call him a "commercial advisor" or something and just funnel him cash. Like the club isn't skint by any measure.

I know money doesn't solve all problems but in this instance I reckon it might make things a bit less s**t for him and his family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back