Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we can just settle on them both being great players ?

Libba forgot his boots on GF day too but He wasn’t working in a butchers shop ….. or was it Biggs?

My ex’s grandad was a champion player in the bush in Berrigan, just over the border in NSW. Richmond came sniffing and took him down to Melbourne , but when he found out how little they were prepared to pay him, he took the next train back to the farm.
It was Libba

Are you honestly trying to suggest that Bont who plays midfield at what not to long ago was considered KPP size would struggle against part timers?

No , but can you explain to me why Bont who would touch and kick a football infinitely more than a bunch of part timers ever did , can’t kick the ball between two posts 7 metres wide better than them ?

Your dismissal of the past players skill levels is somewhat puzzling 🤔

Maybe we can just settle on them both being great players ?

Libba forgot his boots on GF day too but He wasn’t working in a butchers shop ….. or was it Biggs?

My ex’s grandad was a champion player in the bush in Berrigan, just over the border in NSW. Richmond came sniffing and took him down to Melbourne , but when he found out how little they were prepared to pay him, he took the next train back to the farm.
Never suggested they were not simply suggesting that the man currently leading the club is now the greatest we have had

Did you not bring up the story that Stevens forgot his boots the day of the Grand Final as he was still working as a butcher that day? They were part time footballers you can't argue with facts

FFS! They worked manual jobs - many of them 40+ hours per week! Then trained twice a week then played on a Saturday. Often on heavy muddy grounds, with none of the rules that protect players today.
The majority of today's players consider sitting in a theatrette reviewing a game, having a coffee with the boys, and doing a podcast or radio interview part of their working week. They might train more - but they are privileged not having to actually work for an external employer.

Not sure if you're trolling, or you just don't understand the conversation. Cheerio.

No , but can you explain to me why Bont who would touch and kick a football infinitely more than a bunch of part timers ever did , can’t kick the ball between two posts 7 metres wide better than them ?

Your dismissal of the past players skill levels is somewhat puzzling 🤔
He has kicked 200 goals from 216 games majority of which are from the midfield and the answer is quite simple the pressures nowadays are significantly more than they used to be,

How is it puzzling? Football wasn't their job so they didn't train as often it's easy to explain

FFS! They worked manual jobs - many of them 40+ hours per week! Then trained twice a week then played on a Saturday. Often on heavy muddy grounds, with none of the rules that protect players today.
The majority of today's players consider sitting in a theatrette reviewing a game, having a coffee with the boys, and doing a podcast or radio interview part of their working week. They might train more - but they are privileged not having to actually work for an external employer.

Not sure if you're trolling, or you just don't understand the conversation. Cheerio.
Trolling? I am pointing out Bont is clearly our best ever player now simply because he is doing it in a professional league which is a more challenging competition as the standard of football is significantly better.

The difficulties faced by former players was more challenging yes never argued that at all but this in turn brought the standard down for all hence it was "easier" back in the day as none of them were full time professionals so the difference between a bottom 10 player then to a bottom 10 player now was massive

Trolling? I am pointing out Bont is clearly our best ever player now simply because he is doing it in a professional league which is a more challenging competition as the standard of football is significantly better.

The difficulties faced by former players was more challenging yes never argued that at all but this in turn brought the standard down for all hence it was "easier" back in the day as none of them were full time professionals so the difference between a bottom 10 player then to a bottom 10 player now was massive

Please take 10 seconds to breathe, and have a think about what past players in these times could have been like if they were full time professionals like they are these days.

As it stands you are the only one right now that can somehow not understand that.

* me dead

Please take 10 seconds to breathe, and have a think about what past players in these times could have been like if they were full time professionals like they are these days.

As it stands you are the only one right now that can somehow not understand that.

* me dead
I have not disputed that once hence why I am saying Bont with 5 AA already and about to add his 5th BnF and potentially a Brownlow is more impressive than anyone previously playing as a part time footballer whos main source of income/job wasn't football simply because the standard of football was obviously not as good due to the lack of professionality

He has kicked 200 goals from 216 games majority of which are from the midfield and the answer is quite simple the pressures nowadays are significantly more than they used to be,

How is it puzzling? Football wasn't their job so they didn't train as often it's easy to explain

Oh dear , you are trolling us 🤣👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The classic I have no actual comeback so you have to be trolling,

Bont is the best footballer to player for this club already and he will only keep adding to it in the future

yep we agree Bont , as I said , is a freak and we are lucky to have him.

When you don’t actually read a response properly, it’s time we bid each other good night 👍

yep we agree Bont , as I said , is a freak and we are lucky to have him.

When you don’t actually read a response properly, it’s time we bid each other good night 👍
I read it I simply argued that Bont is not just a freak but simply our greatest and in the temple of Bontempelli I don’t think that is a ridiculous statement

What a pointless exercise trying to directly compare a player from today to one from 40, 50 or 60 years ago.

bobs head soup nailed it. You can only compare them (crudely) in terms of how dominant they were among their peers. And even that is fraught with pitfalls.

Just enjoy them both for what they are. Or were.

I wore number 3 when they gave me the choice at my junior footy club. :heart:

Whitten, Templeton, Hawkins, Grant. Others were good and had great success (eg Johnno, West, Beasley) but in terms of grace and precocious natural talent these were the clear top four in my lifetime. They just stood out so much against their peers in everything they did.

Bontempelli has now joined them.

What a pointless exercise trying to directly compare a player from today to one from 40, 50 or 60 years ago.

bobs head soup nailed it. You can only compare them (crudely) in terms of how dominant they were among their peers. And even that is fraught with pitfalls.

Just enjoy them both for what they are. Or were.

I wore number 3 when they gave me the choice at my junior footy club. :heart:

Whitten, Templeton, Hawkins, Grant. Others were good and had great success (eg Johnno, West, Beasley) but in terms of grace and precocious natural talent these were the clear top four in my lifetime. They just stood out so much against their peers in everything they did.

Bontempelli has now joined them.

For me I’d add Dempsey to your list.

It was Libba

Why am I worried that 2021 happened because everyone had their boots? Shows how this club lacks the professionalism to compete at the highest level - someone leaves their boots on the hotel and we don’t give up that lead. So simple yet we screwed it up by lack of planning

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

MVP and AFLPA best Captain.

Not old enough to remember EJ but this bloke is the best of the last 50 years.

And to think some om here question his Captaincy. Obviously his peers disagree with them.

Legend

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. Now that it’s clear the allegation he asked the CEO to sack Bevo with two weeks to go in the season was made up, there’s not much to fault his leadership.

Gets frustrated with his teammates a bit but they seem to love and respect him. He definitely inspires on the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back