Toast Welcome to Fit Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I drank diet coke every day since 1984 (when we moved to the US). I'd have close to 2 litres a day. And I reckon I got fatter as a direct result. I read an article that said that it triggers your pancreas into producing insulin for the incoming sugar, which of course never comes, and so your body is constantly craving sugar/calories. I gave it up cold turkey in January this year. One of the best things I did (other than giving up smoking three years ago) that has lead to great results. Did my first Zumba class last week... damn, those women dance for AN HOUR! I'm such a gumby, but I love that I can do it now (at 60 years young).
I was drinking about 10 litres of Pepsi Max a week and gave it up in May as part of my getting healthy plan. I switched to water with ice and can't say it wasn't tough but don't regret the switch at all.

Bump.

Now 86kg and flying. Exercising 6 days a week and feeling better than ever. Bloody expensive buying new clothes all the time but it's pretty cool to go in and know you can get a shirt that doesn't have X in the size. I'm an easy M/L now which is so cool.

I have spent more at Savers in the last 3-4 months than I have spent on clothes in the previous 3-4 years. Can't wait until it warms up so I can just buy shorts and tees.

I was drinking about 10 litres of Pepsi Max a week and gave it up in May as part of my getting healthy plan. I switched to water with ice and can't say it wasn't tough but don't regret the switch at all.
That’s great. There is zero benefit to consuming soft drink and many negatives. Your body will thank you.

That’s great. There is zero benefit to consuming soft drink and many negatives. Your body will thank you.

Plus the money that I am saving. I bought a new smartwatch with the money that I will have saved in a year. (This now enables me to monitor my heartbeat for my whole walk and not just for the first 500m until sweat enters the equation.)

Originally had FitBits but they seemed to s**t themselves and now an Apple Watch.

Seem to keep weight around same level (might have something to do with red wine and love of dark chocolate) but am fitter and can sustain for longer periods.

An always doing 6 and 8 week challenges at gym (high altitude room or HIIT classes) which they run every quarter. Don’t run due to arthritic left knee but overall fitness has improved that immensely.

You only get one go at this - it is not a dress rehearsal. Take it and grasp it.

Originally had FitBits but they seemed to s**t themselves and now an Apple Watch.

Seem to keep weight around same level (might have something to do with red wine and love of dark chocolate) but am fitter and can sustain for longer periods.

An always doing 6 and 8 week challenges at gym (high altitude room or HIIT classes) which they run every quarter. Don’t run due to arthritic left knee but overall fitness has improved that immensely.

You only get one go at this - it is not a dress rehearsal. Take it and grasp it.
I recently joined a walk group with the challenge was walking the length of the rabbit proof fence - 2,000,000 steps. We smashed it in a week! They either needed smaller groups or longer challenges! Not that I contributed that much, but after recovering from surgery, it was my first foray back into movement. Reckon I managed more steps than previously, so that was a good thing.

So I’ve set myself a goal to prepare for a hike when I go to New Zealand in a month or so. I recently had a pacemaker put in due to having a resting heart rate of 38! So now I’m hoping I’m not biting off more than I can chew. the walk is the Rob Roy Glacier trail near Lake Wanake - it is a 12 kilometre hike that’s classed as moderately hard. Has anyone done it?

anecdotal, for sure, but I only really do strength based exercises in the gyms and try to run a couple times a week (but not super consistent with the running)

while a weights session doesn't bugger you out like a cardio session would, it's still doing enough to your lungs and heart rate (in my experience, anyway)

anecdotal, for sure, but I only really do strength based exercises in the gyms and try to run a couple times a week (but not super consistent with the running)

while a weights session doesn't bugger you out like a cardio session would, it's still doing enough to your lungs and heart rate (in my experience, anyway)
I’ve been reading up about this, weights seems to have lots of advantages over cardio. I’ve been going to the gym regularly over the last 3 months and loving doing weights. A few years back I used to just do cardio and it bored me shitless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah cardio at the gym is super boring. I only ever do it to warm up now.

My actual cardio exercises will always now be a beach run/walk/jog - I also live close enough to Albert Park so running or walking the F1 track map is a nice 5.23km
I know it’s only Tik Tok but there are a number of trainers on there who look like they know what they are doing.

They said cardio warm up is pointless. I can’t remember the name of it but what it releases or uses in your body competes with what you’re trying to achieve by lifting weights. Plus it takes time up when you’re at the gym. I’ve cut it out. They said better off warming up with light weights, stretches the muscles you’re going to use.

Anyway I’m no guru, just passing on what they said.

I go for a brisk morning walk most days, gym at night. Still a novice though but at 53 most probably in the best shape I’ve been since my 20s. It’s amazing what being single does for you ;) Also funny how I’m having less back issues 🤔

I did the opposite to most people, when covid hit is when I started to lose weight. I started walking and have a home gym but that’s s**t compared to going to the gym. Much more interesting sights.

Also for those who have health insurance or are considering it. What spurred me to go back to the gym was AIA Health. It’s a rewards based health insurance which rewards you for looking after yourself. I get Goodlife half price. Then they set you weekly activity targets, so you get another $5 in shopping vouchers. Effectively my membership is costing $6. Plus they give you shopping vouchers as you get to the next level. Plus a range of other discounts. It’s been excellent for me.

I’ve been reading up about this, weights seems to have lots of advantages over cardio. I’ve been going to the gym regularly over the last 3 months and loving doing weights. A few years back I used to just do cardio and it bored me shitless.
I've not bothered with cardio for a while, a brisk walk is fine by me.

The only hassle with weights is the inevitable weight increase. But that's not always a bad thing.

Edit - the weight gain is from muscle growth. Not eating cheerios in your mums basement looking up conspiracy theories, just so we are clear.

Last edited:
MOD NOTE

The purpose of this thread is to support and motivate each other to either get fit or stay fit.

Any future instances of posters (they know who they are) trying to troll others by using posts in this thread to mock posters who are trying to get fit will not be tolerated.

Who was doing the mocking?

So I’ve set myself a goal to prepare for a hike when I go to New Zealand in a month or so. I recently had a pacemaker put in due to having a resting heart rate of 38! So now I’m hoping I’m not biting off more than I can chew. the walk is the Rob Roy Glacier trail near Lake Wanake - it is a 12 kilometre hike that’s classed as moderately hard. Has anyone done it?
How was the trip? Did the practice help?

If you don't know then you don't have anything to worry about !!!
Well played
happy good mythical morning GIF by Rhett and Link

How was the trip? Did the practice help?
Trip was fantastic! Unfortunately, I got sick as a dog three weeks before we left (chest infection) so couldn’t train any more in the lead up. We did four hikes (three smaller ones 4-5k) and one ten k (Hooker Valley at Mt Cook). This one had me struggling (not from the elevation, just the length). I knew I wouldn’t be able to the Glacier walk the next day (which had length AND elevation). Have learned if I’m going to do two big walks, I need to space them apart. Ended doing another 5k instead.

So now I’m back in training for my European trip later in the year… particularly for walks through Croatia and Switzerland. D5580863-CDE5-47F4-9626-E93C1ADF3796.jpeg FA908C1C-DB3A-4384-8305-E1EA9AE608AA.jpeg EEC499D8-18C6-4AB6-9C6C-30E26DE0D2BF.jpeg 21DBA296-6245-493C-AE82-6871BBAAD3C5.jpeg

Not sure where to post this but I now know 4 blokes all around my age (62-67) who have all been diagnosed with prostrate cancer (one has had his prostrate removed recently) over the past 6 months.

Did my 6 monthly PSA test (have an enlarged prostrate) and given it has increased again am now going in a few weeks to have a biopsy. Yep, they put forty needles between your balls and a-hole into your prostrate.

Do everything right, exercising 5-6 sessions a week at the gym, eating well and generally looking after myself and this s**t happens!

Not sure where to post this but I now know 4 blokes all around my age (62-67) who have all been diagnosed with prostrate cancer (one has had his prostrate removed recently) over the past 6 months.

Did my 6 monthly PSA test (have an enlarged prostrate) and given it has increased again am now going in a few weeks to have a biopsy. Yep, they put forty needles between your balls and a-hole into your prostrate.

Do everything right, exercising 5-6 sessions a week at the gym, eating well and generally looking after myself and this s**t happens!
Good luck mate.

I know a couple of blokes who have had the same problem both now in the clear ( pine without a prostrate) get it early and you should be on the right path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back