List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

No you didn’t, check out the Richmond game. Few clearance kicks around the corner from congestion, sure. He also gets a free kick and nails a leading JWill for his only goal of the game from one of the rare stationary kicking opportunities he has in that game;

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ew-vs-western-bulldogs.1379118/#post-82949150

0:48 seconds in. 0:52 seconds in.

I can't find the one where he completely missed a kick when he kicked stationary. Perhaps an overraction on my end but still something I noted.

But with all that said he is actually improving. Last game was his marking I was impressed with. He actually marked the ball and used his height

Ginbey should be trying to emulate the kicking action of Brayden Ainsworth if he really want to go to the next level.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ew-vs-western-bulldogs.1379118/#post-82949150

0:48 seconds in. 0:52 seconds in.

I can't find the one where he completely missed a kick when he kicked stationary. Perhaps an overraction on my end but still something I noted.

But with all that said he is actually improving. Last game was his marking I was impressed with. He actually marked the ball and used his height

You said last couple of games his kicking was ‘shocking’ and I countered that with the vision of the Richmond game and so you dug further back to a couple from Rd3 vs the bulldogs. Interesting

You said last couple of games his kicking was ‘shocking’ and I countered that with the vision of the Richmond game and so you dug further back to a couple from Rd3 vs the bulldogs. Interesting

He meant to say "several".

The last couple of games I did notice Ginbey shocking kicking. I mean it was very apparent. We aren't talking about regular pressure kicing we are talking about kicking stationary after he marked the ball

The alarming thing is he realised it himself and starting handballing instead of kicking.

As for last game I didn't look at it closely.
Absolutely dotted Jake Waterman twice last game resulting in 2 shots for goal. His kicking and penetration is fine but will never be beautiful kick of the footy.

Not really. Pre 2018 and especially that year he won his first AA as a flanker he was a very good kick, especially on both sides. Naturally it’s dropped off as he became an inside bull.
Which is to my point also that Reubs is playing a similar mix of contested / uncontested possessions by the numbers at present and has very similar kicking efficiency to Yeo

He’s building nicely & was very good on the weekend. They’ve struggled to find a consistent role for him, but he’s always been flexible. Can win his own ball but can play outside as well, he can change roles mid game.
Wait until he gains full confidence playing at this level, you’ll love his contested marking as he has a great leap & strong hands. Was a very talented basketballer.
Apologies for the intrusion.

He’s building nicely & was very good on the weekend.

1713959291405.png

They’ve struggled to find a consistent role for him, but he’s always been flexible. Can win his own ball but can play outside as well, he can change roles mid game.

1713959318935.png

Wait until he gains full confidence playing at this level, you’ll love his contested marking as he has a great leap & strong hands. Was a very talented basketballer.

1713959358171.png

1713959373860.png

He’s building nicely & was very good on the weekend. They’ve struggled to find a consistent role for him, but he’s always been flexible. Can win his own ball but can play outside as well, he can change roles mid game.
Simmo on Reuben Ginbey ‘He plays footy in the right way’

Simmo on Stinky Lomax ’He posts on other sides boards in the right way’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn was an excellent kick, Jetta one of the best field kicks for vision, penetration and placement of the modern era.

Yeo, Ginbey et al are average kicks for AFL level players when the direction of the game is headed towards needing multiple top tier kicks, particularly those with run and carry from defence to outside midfield. If you can get overhead marking, leading to space and run and carry out of these sorts of players then you have an elite platform to move the ball from defence to inside 50 as quickly as possible.

That's why Finn O'Sullivan will go number 1 if he can get his numbers up in regards to getting the ball.

We need a total of 6 very good to elite kicks from defence to forward 50 in the next generation side. I would suggest we currently have 1 in Maric with the development of Burgiel, Hewett and Reid determining if that number is higher.

Hurn was an excellent kick, Jetta one of the best field kicks for vision, penetration and placement of the modern era.

Yeo, Ginbey et al are average kicks for AFL level players when the direction of the game is headed towards needing multiple top tier kicks, particularly those with run and carry from defence to outside midfield. If you can get overhead marking, leading to space and run and carry out of these sorts of players then you have an elite platform to move the ball from defence to inside 50 as quickly as possible.

That's why Finn O'Sullivan will go number 1 if he can get his numbers up in regards to getting the ball.

We need a total of 6 very good to elite kicks from defence to forward 50 in the next generation side. I would suggest we currently have 1 in Maric with the development of Burgiel, Hewett and Reid determining if that number is higher.

Assuming best case scenario and we finish 13th, will Trainor still be available at pick 6 and therefore should we pick him?

What is busslinger's kicking like?

anyone you think that we could shake off from other clubs that can provide that drive from defence?

Brockman potential to be elite in this area and Chesser and Long potential to be in the very good categorie. All have had stints on the wings.

Ginbey combines mid-tier talent with an exceptional athletic framework, positioning him well to leverage his defensive skills while maintaining a robust two-way game, both attacking and defending. Unlike players like Dangerfield, Ginbey is more reminiscent of an enhanced version of Stenglein and Chick. His playing style is particularly advantageous for exploiting matchups, using his physical prowess to match any opponent and then capitalizing on these opportunities. This approach is akin to elite ruckmen who thrive as the sole ruck, navigating through midfield and forward positions to outmaneuver the opposition, yet not necessarily suited to full-time roles in these areas.

One of the absolute keys to our long term success.

He is the Barrass to McGovern, he is the Darling to Kennedy

For offensive strategies, Long, Hewitt, and Reid stand out as key attacking options.

Hurn and Jetta kicked it low and quick which can break any press. Mcgovern does it sometimes from kick ins. Anytime we have a fast counter attack from a kick in it is usually Mcgovern kicking a 50m dart into the middle of the ground.

Good call on Maric. I would also suggest that Liam Ryan is one of our best field kicks.

Agree you need several great kicks to be a good side with the ability to execute elite ball movement and transition defense into attack quickly and cleanly.

It isn’t however as essential for an inside mid, and some of the overall elite ones are similar to how Ginbey will project at his ceiling by foot.

As per your examples it’s often more essential for your defensive intercept markers and running half backs with regards to setting up attacks with vision and deadly kicking. Those are often the best kickers in other sides too. I get your point though, the more the merrier, and someone like Harley looks like he may end up both. I’ll concede that Ginbey looks more like an ok kick, but again I don’t think he stands out as terrible considering the amount of time he is in congested areas. If he was more outside and didn’t come up a bit I think I would be a little more concerned.

With regards to elite kicks currently I agree we need to find some through this rebuild, and I’m similarly not exactly sure where they are going to come from. I would throw Ryan into that category too though but beyond those we do need to find a few.

Agree you need several great kicks to be a good side with the ability to execute elite ball movement and transition defense into attack quickly and cleanly.

It isn’t however as essential for an inside mid, and some of the overall elite ones are similar to how Ginbey will project at his ceiling by foot.

As per your examples it’s often more essential for your defensive intercept markers and running half backs with regards to setting up attacks with vision and deadly kicking. Those are often the best kickers in other sides too. I get your point though, the more the merrier, and someone like Harley looks like he may end up both. I’ll concede that Ginbey looks more like an ok kick, but again I don’t think he stands out as terrible considering the amount of time he is in congested areas. If he was more outside and didn’t come up a bit I think I would be a little more concerned.

With regards to elite kicks currently I agree we need to find some through this rebuild, and I’m similarly not exactly sure where they are going to come from. I would throw Ryan into that category too though but beyond those we do need to find a few.

I've never said Ginbey's kicking is bad. I said it was average prior to being drafted and that it's still average. People like to try and give me s**t for what is inherently the truth.

The problem with his kicking will likely always remain.

I've never said Ginbey's kicking is bad. I said it was average prior to being drafted and that it's still average. People like to try and give me s**t for what is inherently the truth.

You’ve found 50 ways to say it’s not good though. Can’t be bothered digging up the posts, but you don’t mind mentioning it.

Totally valid opinion, I just don’t think it’s as deficient as you thought it was pre-draft, especially for an inside mid. I do think you’ll keep pointing to it disproportionately with regards to other players on our list like a dog with a bone though.

Hewett’s kicking was worse than Ginbey’s last year. I’m not worried as yet re Hewett, but unless I’m wrong I haven’t seen you mention his disposal by foot a heap? He played less on ball as % of game time and was more hack clearance happy than Reuben

Remove this Banner Ad

Back