Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Its relatively minor but i can run again.

Rehab work is a 1km run (6m/km) then stair runs then another 1km run (which balloons to 6.30m/kms). 7 months from my second achilles rupture.
You will gain so much more confidence in other aspects of your training even if just psychological, the fact that you can run again.:thumbsu:

Swapped out lunges for the seated leg curl,

Then will bring in a leg day 2

Barbell lunges heavy
Squats medium
Deadlift
I would concentrate on the deadlift that 2nd day, then you can also throw in hammy work there too like those leg curls and RDLs, those barbell lunges would be a good warm up/feeder exercise though I'd work into them.

Does your gym have a trap bar? Trap bar deadlifts will 100% work your legs too, I had to go back to my old gym for a casual on Sunday just to use theirs but it was definitely worth the $10 from the DOMS I acquired, lower back is feeling good too (I'll probably just go out and buy one around my birthday anyway)

Yeah pretty sure there is a trap bar in the 2nd weights area.
Good

Yeah with doing legs twice a week I'd split it like this

Leg day 1 hard quads day, 1 long hamstring exercise to finish the day off

Leg day 2 after 3-4 days rest have that hard hammy/posterior chain day, lunges as a warm up and if you're feeling good then throw in the trap bar too for a bit of everything (upper traps, posterior chain, quads)

I would split your whole week like

Monday quad day
Tuesday Chest/push/triceps
Wednesday back and biceps (rows/pulldowns, take it easy on the lower back though)
Thursday off
Friday deadlift day
Saturday shoulders/push/arms
Sunday off

Should give you enough rest breaks so you're not overwhelming any one body part

I don't mind running these days but if I had a serious injury I think I just wouldn't even bother anymore especially at my age.
It was a pretty strong consideration to be honest. I’m keen to be able to run around after my kids and some form of running is pretty key to rehabbing in that way. I’ll never run big distances again, I’d assume 5-7km will be my hard cap cause fatigue in the lower leg increases the risk of re repture but yeh.

It was a pretty strong consideration to be honest. I’m keen to be able to run around after my kids and some form of running is pretty key to rehabbing in that way. I’ll never run big distances again, I’d assume 5-7km will be my hard cap cause fatigue in the lower leg increases the risk of re repture but yeh.
5-7kms would kill me haha. If it's a passion though why not keep it up.

Do you still swim much?

5-7kms would kill me haha. If it's a passion though why not keep it up.

Do you still swim much?
I really enjoy the solitude and mental health aspects of running, it’s just a different sort of meditation. I’ve ruptured both Achilles tendons in the last 18 months, at 36 and with the severity of them (especially the first) there was no guarantee I’d be able to run at all ever again so I’ll take what I can get and won’t be pushing it too far.

Nah, I really don’t. Everything I do exercise wise I really centered around home and time. I’d love to swim more and I could absolutely make or find the time but it gets lowered on the preferences cause it’s time away from home.

Benched 152.5kg today to comp standards.

Squatting again, only 120kg for 7’s this week but pain free.

Will deadlift again this week coming for the first time in a month.

Have an MRI scan to get, back pain is gone but getting sharp shooting pain in my right hamstring from glute/hamstring join down to just above my knee ditch whenever I load that leg in a hinge position, assuming some nerve/sciatic pain, see what the MRI shows.

Had nausea, vomited twice a few nights ago, gastro reflux. Haven't done weights since. Any advice on easing back into it? My plan of attack is 5x5 @ 65% of 5RM, PPL. Don't think it's a good idea for me to do any AMRAP sets in the 4-8 rep range until maybe mid next week. Annoying cause I was hitting new PRs on the OHP, Floor, and Trap Bar, but what can ya do.

Really focusing on form and controlling the eccentric vs heavy weights right now.

I dunno, feels like i'm doing better just lifting slower, lighter and more controlled. It's quite hard to slow down and do the lighter stuff

Had nausea, vomited twice a few nights ago, gastro reflux. Haven't done weights since. Any advice on easing back into it? My plan of attack is 5x5 @ 65% of 5RM, PPL. Don't think it's a good idea for me to do any AMRAP sets in the 4-8 rep range until maybe mid next week. Annoying cause I was hitting new PRs on the OHP, Floor, and Trap Bar, but what can ya do.
Just go nuts first up. Deal with it later ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really focusing on form and controlling the eccentric vs heavy weights right now.

I dunno, feels like i'm doing better just lifting slower, lighter and more controlled. It's quite hard to slow down and do the lighter stuff

Just go nuts first up. Deal with it later ;)
Haha, I ended up doing the same weights I did before, just left extra reps in the tank. Felt like I didn’t lose any strength at all. Got through it fine. It was a nice greasing of the groove.

There’s just something about lifting weight within my 1-10RM that I love. Don’t get me wrong, your 3x10 at 60% and all that matters, but if I don’t have at least one heavy compound lift in the exercise session, it just feels wrong.

Haha, I ended up doing the same weights I did before, just left extra reps in the tank. Felt like I didn’t lose any strength at all. Got through it fine. It was a nice greasing of the groove.

There’s just something about lifting weight within my 1-10RM that I love. Don’t get me wrong, your 3x10 at 60% and all that matters, but if I don’t have at least one heavy compound lift in the exercise session, it just feels wrong.

It’s likely a variety of intensities within a session is better for gains anyway.

Might add in a bent over cable rear delt fly instead of just cable raises standing up.

I actually hate doing delt isolation with dumbells I guess because of the very inconsistent resistance levels.
Time under tension for the delt raise is my goal. Lightweight, but slow, controlled reps. I enjoy it better than cables

I don't mind running these days but if I had a serious injury I think I just wouldn't even bother anymore especially at my age.
I don't run anymore. If we have running as part of our workout at CrossFit I always hop on the assault bike instead. I also don't do box jumps anymore (unless it's a comp and I have to). I just step up and down. Double unders are the next thing to go next, as much as I love them.

The run has extended to 1.5kms and pace is back under 5.30 for that. Added some extra sets to the stair work now too.

All coming together albeit slowly
I find running to a time rather than a distance works for me. I'll often run on the same day as leg day at the gym (or the day after) so that limits the pace a fair bit.

I find running to a time rather than a distance works for me. I'll often run on the same day as leg day at the gym (or the day after) so that limits the pace a fair bit.
Yeh I often enjoy going out with no watch or timer and just going on feel. Having some metrics to track the rehab (and see how pain goes if I push pace etc) is important for now though.

I don't run anymore. If we have running as part of our workout at CrossFit I always hop on the assault bike instead. I also don't do box jumps anymore (unless it's a comp and I have to). I just step up and down. Double unders are the next thing to go next, as much as I love them.
I love box jumps but go for speed only 51cm and minimal time on ground. Another exercise I love which is insane for explosiveness is knees to squat position. If you can get to 3/4 squat that's great.

Last night I did one of those 18 minute strider workouts on expert and it was reasonably good. Low impact.

I also do a lot of floor stuff for BJJ and a really good one for hips is to side roll and stand up at the end of the roll. These get up exercises are awesome for functional strength, power and hiit

How do you feel about 15 minute timed runs for example aiming for distance. As opposed to a set distance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back