Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not from what I am reading.
Any links to studies which give us a good understanding of vaccinations, herd immunity or even low cost drugs such as Ivermectin, are quickly quashed.
Another poster provided some links in another thread. They were to computer modelling studies which said (in effect) "The computer says Ivermectin should bind tightly so we guess it does". No actual experimental evidence to support it, though.

Are these the studies you are referring to?

In regards to the Suicide rates, I have heard from various sources who deal with this stuff day to day (so not to take as gospel but I trust their experiences more than that of others), that the rates of suicides have not gone up significantly/really at all. However calls to help lines and other services for mental health etc have gone up quite a lot. So from my own experience that I can talk about in defintates, mental health is no so much a down one day and then once treated all better the next. But more of a roller coaster from day to day and sometimes morning to afternoon. So what the long term effects are......

In regards to the Suicide rates, I have heard from various sources who deal with this stuff day to day (so not to take as gospel but I trust their experiences more than that of others), that the rates of suicides have not gone up significantly/really at all. However calls to help lines and other services for mental health etc have gone up quite a lot. So from my own experience that I can talk about in defintates, mental health is no so much a down one day and then once treated all better the next. But more of a roller coaster from day to day and sometimes morning to afternoon. So what the long term effects are......

Suicide rates are actually down IIRC. No question the pandemic has impacted mental health but it has not led to increase suicides despite what the resident yetis would have us believe.

Suicide rates are actually down IIRC. No question the pandemic has impacted mental health but it has not led to increase suicides despite what the resident yetis would have us believe.
100% from all angles not just lock downs, I guess the residual long terms effects is what can't be gauged or known till the time comes.

Again, you spend all day sitting behind the computer so go google for yourself.
I dunno, I've done my own research, read what the experts think, and based on that come to a set of opinions on the matter. Googling it myself only brings me to my opinion - so in order to change my opinion you're going to need to bring the information that I can't find.

There was a homeless dude on the corner of Bourke St the other day holding up a sign saying 'the end is nigh'.

Hmm. Really interested to see how that pans out. 🤔

I feel like the “end is nigh” sign is extremely common among homeless. See it on movies a lot too, must be the popular choice.

Fair chance hes 99% or 99.5% incorrect! ;)

Unfortunately I believe it's domestic violence which has increased in lockdown periods.

My daughter had a significant birthday yesterday and had booked a table at a restaurant with her partner. At 6.15pm last night she got a call from the restaurant to say the restaurant was closed because of a Covid case. This morning she got a call from a restaurant she had booked Friday night to celebrate with friends. Same thing. Restaurant closed because of a Covid case.

2 cases in 24 hours. Restaurants in different suburbs. Makes you wonder how common this is and how rampant Covid is out there. Is this what living with Covid means?

My daughter had a significant birthday yesterday and had booked a table at a restaurant with her partner. At 6.15pm last night she got a call from the restaurant to say the restaurant was closed because of a Covid case. This morning she got a call from a restaurant she had booked Friday night to celebrate with friends. Same thing. Restaurant closed because of a Covid case.

2 cases in 24 hours. Restaurants in different suburbs. Makes you wonder how common this is and how rampant Covid is out there. Is this what living with Covid means?

Had the same thing happen a few times it is what it is unfortunately.

Yes, I presume so.

I posed this question weeks ago when the 'opening up' celebrations were happening.

Living with COVID, is very different to 'back to normal'.

Just wait till we reach 90% double vax and have cases soar through the roof and it's back to weekly or monthly lockdowns again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait till we reach 90% double vax and have cases soar through the roof and it's back to weekly or monthly lockdowns again.

Not sure that'll happen. Europe's going back into lockdowns but that's because they vaccination rates aren't as high as ours and, consequently, hospitalisation rates are up. Cases don't matter, pressure on health system does.

Must be Dan Andrews' fault.

Not sure that'll happen. Europe's going back into lockdowns but that's because they vaccination rates aren't as high as ours and, consequently, hospitalisation rates are up. Cases don't matter, pressure on health system does.

Pretty similar actually.
Even Austria who are copping criticism as we speak have 64% double vaccinated.

lol, I get the feeling you lot are just not catching on to what is happening here.
Why do you think Andrews is getting the powers he wants if we are going to hit 80% double vaccinated by the start of next year? Think about it.

Australia currently - ~ 70%
Austria currently - ~ 64%
Germany currently - ~ 67%

Not too much difference

I think swingdog may have been talking about Victoria specifically... Which is at 88.2% 16+ double vaccination last I saw.

Yep, despite our slow start, we're going to end up one of the most vaccinated places in the world. Am I right in thinking it's no masks from tomorrow? I haven't been keeping up with announcements.

Covid rates are going up in Europe for the same reason rates of flu and other respiratory/contagious conditions go up this time of year: winter's upon us and everyone is cooped up indoors in close proximity. Yes, higher vaccination rates help and waning effectiveness doesn't, but there's a limit when masking and social distancing etc. aren't or can't be followed - and as someone who lives and gets about a bit in Europe, there's a huge variability in attitudes to these non-vax health measures from country to country.

Going to be another rough winter, looking forward to my booster in January.

Last edited:
Covid rates are going up in Europe for the same reason rates of flu and other respiratory/contagious conditions go up this time of year: winter's upon us and everyone is cooped up indoors in close proximity. Yes, higher vaccination rates help and waning effectiveness doesn't, but there's a limit when masking and social distancing etc. aren't or can't be followed - and as someone who lives and gets about a bit in Europe, there's a huge variability in attitudes to these non-vax health measures from country to country.

Going to be another rough winter, looking forward to my booster in January.
welcome to the new normal. This shits not going away in a hurry.

Suicides that are triggered in a short time frame tend to be based around relationship trauma- in lockdown there were less relationships occurring. Many suicides are like soft tissue injuries - one injury doesn't end a career, but it can help lead to a series of other soft tissue injuries that do shorten the career.

Comparative studies will be done between Melbourne and other cities over the next decades. It's only then that we'll know if there has been any costs in terms of addiction, depression and their life shortening aspects. Hopefully there won't be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back