CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
Didn’t see a thread pertaining to the VFL side that will be entering the comp so I thought I would start one. If I’ve missed it please delete.

Just two points and questions I suppose. The first one pertains to the structure for 2025-2026. 2025 there won’t be any mainland draftees on the list, but I assume there will be access to young local lads and 2026 there will obviously be the pre-draft selections like the GC and GWS had.

Just want to know how you’d go about shaping the list, particularly in that first year when there will be a fair bit of the list to populate. Would you simply aim to recruit the cream of the TFL that has been disbanded or would you look to the mainland for some of the list spots?

Personally, while obviously drafted the best of the TFL is common sense I also think this is a real chance to look forward and dangle a carrot in front of the best non AFL listed 21-22 year olds in the country and offer a pathway to an AFL list in 2027. I’d be targeting at least 5 or 6 of them with a real process set out for them to gain an AFL list spot, could be a real advantage when it 2027 comes around. Additionally this would in my opinion go a long way to making the team competitive from the get-go, which would lead to big crowds and great momentum heading into 2027.

Second one is what to do with the split of games. With 9 home games likely you could either go 6 games Blundstone and 3 UTas to emulate the 2027 split or you could go a bit more statewide.

A conservative example of that could be 5 Hobart, 3 UTas both years and 1 game Devonport one year and 1 game Burnie the other. Or you could go 4 Hobart, 3 UTas and 1 each for Devonport and Burnie both years. That personally would be my preferred option as I think both North West games would be massive events with great crowds and really create hype for the team across the whole state. The argument against playing any games there at all would be to get the embryonic team as used to a schedule as close to the AFL one as possible.

Sorry for the long winded post, just thought it was an important thing to discuss.

Didn’t see a thread pertaining to the VFL side that will be entering the comp so I thought I would start one. If I’ve missed it please delete.

Just two points and questions I suppose. The first one pertains to the structure for 2025-2026. 2025 there won’t be any mainland draftees on the list, but I assume there will be access to young local lads and 2026 there will obviously be the pre-draft selections like the GC and GWS had.

Just want to know how you’d go about shaping the list, particularly in that first year when there will be a fair bit of the list to populate. Would you simply aim to recruit the cream of the TFL that has been disbanded or would you look to the mainland for some of the list spots?

Personally, while obviously drafted the best of the TFL is common sense I also think this is a real chance to look forward and dangle a carrot in front of the best non AFL listed 21-22 year olds in the country and offer a pathway to an AFL list in 2027. I’d be targeting at least 5 or 6 of them with a real process set out for them to gain an AFL list spot, could be a real advantage when it 2027 comes around. Additionally this would in my opinion go a long way to making the team competitive from the get-go, which would lead to big crowds and great momentum heading into 2027.

Second one is what to do with the split of games. With 9 home games likely you could either go 6 games Blundstone and 3 UTas to emulate the 2027 split or you could go a bit more statewide.

A conservative example of that could be 5 Hobart, 3 UTas both years and 1 game Devonport one year and 1 game Burnie the other. Or you could go 4 Hobart, 3 UTas and 1 each for Devonport and Burnie both years. That personally would be my preferred option as I think both North West games would be massive events with great crowds and really create hype for the team across the whole state. The argument against playing any games there at all would be to get the embryonic team as used to a schedule as close to the AFL one as possible.

Sorry for the long winded post, just thought it was an important thing to discuss.
On games split, I think Tassie should get extra home VFL games in years 1 and 2. Play in Tassie a lot & focus on growing and establishing the club. Maybe only travel interstate 2 or 3 times to Melbourne each of those seasons. That gives the chance to play more around the state and broaden the base a bit. Might seem a bit unfair to other VFL teams, but this is about Tassie club building. If 18 game season, that would be something like Hobart 7 or 8, UTas 5 or 6, Dport/Burnie 2 or 3, Melboune 3.
I also think the club should be ambitious - aim for high finals place in year 2 to get shot at VFL premiership (sounds mad I know, that sort of simple ambition will set the tone for the future). Win games...!

On games split, I think Tassie should get extra home VFL games in years 1 and 2. Play in Tassie a lot & focus on growing and establishing the club. Maybe only travel interstate 2 or 3 times to Melbourne each of those seasons. That gives the chance to play more around the state and broaden the base a bit. Might seem a bit unfair to other VFL teams, but this is about Tassie club building. If 18 game season, that would be something like Hobart 7 or 8, UTas 5 or 6, Dport/Burnie 2 or 3, Melboune 3.
I also think the club should be ambitious - aim for high finals place in year 2 to get shot at VFL premiership (sounds mad I know, that sort of simple ambition will set the tone for the future). Win games...!
That’s a great idea RE the extra home games and I reckon it will probably happen.

Yeah, I think winning is imperative. Targeting the best state league players around the country should be the go with the notion that if you do well you’ll be kept on what I assume will be an expanded AFL list to begin with. Has the benefit of winning games and building hype but also building the club culture from day 1, would be great to have the young Tassie boys learning from the most driven players from day 1, as well as the team already having a good understanding of each other if a lot of the team have already played with each other when the first AFL game comes along.

I’d hope there’d be a decent spread of games around the state to build support for the club before they enter the big league. From what I’ve read there won’t be any games in Devonport or Burnie because Dial Park in Penguin has been earmarked as the elite footy facility on the NW coast. Makes sense because it’s located roughly halfway between Devonport and Burnie. IIRC, Rockliff mentioned that the government intends to pump in an additional $25m into Dial Park. It will host some AFL pre-season games as well as some VFL, AFLW and Coates Talent League games + be the training facility for U18 academy players from the NW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back