Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s Goosage so who knows how accurate this is but he does have reasonable contacts with the club

I am surprised to see the Club go for the re-work route a second time, but glad to hear it appears to be based on the OG.

If I were to take a guess regarding “tweaks to the words”, I’d suggest that “all you wise men from the east” did not make the cut which isn’t surprising, though I don’t see the harm for the sake of friendly rivalry/competition.

If the general structure is the same as the original, I am happy. Cautiously optimistic what he means by “brighter” though.

Is it actually weird i'd prefer the fellas continue to sing the "We are the west, we are the west, we are the west coast eagles" bit after a win?

That was a good addition IMO, it's the trash Birds of Toilet theme that came afterwards which ruined everything and caused JK to retire.

Dunno, i alway just thought the "Waaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeethe Eagles..." intro/chorus x2 was a bit s**t for them to sing on it's own after a big win.

How would you feel if you were Birds of Tokyo. Get asked to make a new song. 3 years later yeah we're getting rid of it its s**t.

They'll be devastated

full

Hate to disappoint (or please) but Dylan appears to be right!

Goss "revealed" the new song on SEN Breakfast this morning...it's just the 2018-2019 rendition. No tweaks, no lyric changes, it's the exact same as before.

In the context of a second-best option, I feel it will partially satisfy people (including myself to a degree), but his tweet last night suggesting "similar to the original" and "tweaks to the words" was very misleading. :(

I think the BOT song was fine for marketing stuff. Hut-building in Cambodia montages etc. But man it sucked as a footy song.

Rolling back to a previous version is a safe, conservative play. I don't mind it as any hub-bub will die down quickly as there isn't any real fuel to build a fire with. We had it before and won a flag with it ringing out. It will suffice and we really do have much bigger fish to fry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they played the 2018 song because they haven’t actually got the revised sing from the club yet

It’d be a change of policy if the club released the new song to a radio station before publicly announcing they were changing it

Is it actually weird i'd prefer the fellas continue to sing the "We are the west, we are the west, we are the west coast eagles" bit after a win?

That was a good addition IMO, it's the trash Birds of Toilet theme that came afterwards which ruined everything and caused JK to retire.

Dunno, i alway just thought the "Waaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeethe Eagles..." intro/chorus x2 was a bit s**t for them to sing on it's own after a big win.

I'm of this thinking too. Revert to prior version of song but have a bit of a war cry lead in, if the two can be moulded.

How and what that looks like I dunno. Birds of prey, that's the way we play.. something something

Listened to the podcast version of the show this morning and skipped to the part where they play the song.

As others have said it is literally the exact same version as the 2018/19 song. Goss said something about words being changed and it being “brighter” just before they played it but no, there is zero difference. Not sure if he’s trolling or just has no idea (probably the latter)

Says the club contacted him after his tweet and asked how he got that information. Apparently we will release it “either this weekend or some time before round 1”

Here’s the link to the full show, they start talking about it around 16:00

I think the BOT song was fine for marketing stuff. Hut-building in Cambodia montages etc. But man it sucked as a footy song.

Rolling back to a previous version is a safe, conservative play. I don't mind it as any hub-bub will die down quickly as there isn't any real fuel to build a fire with. We had it before and won a flag with it ringing out. It will suffice and we really do have much bigger fish to fry.

I think it works ok as a song after a win at home after you've played the club song, Eagle Rock, THEN as fans a filing out of the stadium you play the song. It doesn't work as a jeer up or celebratory song at all.

Maybe he’s just using that version as an example, cause the actual new one hasn’t been released yet??

If the club reached out to him asking how he got that info, then they definitely have not sent him their intended version should it be any different from the 2018 one.

Also doesn't feel like a significant amount of time to workshop any changes to a previous version so I'm not sure they'll go that way unless they say it'll roll over to a modified version in 2025 but for 2024 we're going back to the previous iteration.

Pretty much. He's probably thinking of the one from the mid 2000s with the "hey eagles" at the start.
I would have thought he could tell the difference between the previous versions (1987, late 1990s, 2018), as he recalled the OG theme when talking about the "original song", but then said this morning the "new one" is closer to 2018-2019, but it's the exact same? 🤨

Maybe he’s just using that version as an example, cause the actual new one hasn’t been released yet??
I guess we can only find out soon enough.

Perhaps Goss was trying to steal Dylan's thunder? He was the first to report this information several minutes before Goss's tweet (6:08pm vs 6:28pm). 🤔

Back