Toast Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Nicholson was a very good defender I feel. Definitely not your Scarlett or Silvagni, but a dour and tough FB who took the opposing FF week in week out over 110 games.

Mate I loved big Nicho but he was a struggler at best. Probably rated about right.

Alastair Nicholson was a very good defender I feel. Definitely not your Scarlett or Silvagni, but a dour and tough FB who took the opposing FF week in week out over 110 games.

Kind of hard to argue with the underrated tag in a lot of cases, but... Nicholson was distinctly average. Tall, slow, long arms, did a half reasonable job half the time. If he's underrated you'd just about have to call the likes of Simon Godfrey underrated as well, purely because no one rates them and they were around for quite a while.

Where do we think James McDonald sits with regard to other midfielders that have played 250+ games?

Got a deserved AA on the back of his desire effort and all around team game. Not the most damaging midfielder ever but a good captain and heart and soul player.

Yeah Wrecker was a really good player. That hit on Hird was just amazing.

It's generally the workhorse style defensive units that are going to be underrated.

Neitz was an exception. Wayne Carey maintains that David Neitz was the best player he ever played on - but that was before he moved to the forward line and was an incredible forward anchor for a reasonable side at the time but average over history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Al was a donkey. Make no mistake about it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alex Georgiou from a couple of seasons back. God we chewed him up and spat him out. I thought he played well every time he was selected but they pretty much used him like a disposable camera.

Does seem like this is an exercise in naming the bottom 12 of our GF side.

You'll know this thread is over if someone nominates Brent Grgic.

Speaking of, I liked Stephen Powell as a player. Was very good for us, got injured, struggled, came back and then we traded him.

You'll know this thread is over if someone nominates Brent Grgic.

Speaking of, I liked Stephen Powell as a player. Was very good for us, got injured, struggled, came back and then we traded him.

I remember thinking it was really weird watching him play for the saints in the 06 elimination final.

Ahh Grgic that reminds me of the real battlers we had for a while there, Ben Beams, Chris Lamb, Ryan Ferguson, Paul Johnson, Cameron Hunter, Shannon Motlop

I remember thinking it was really weird watching him play for the saints in the 06 elimination final.

Ahh Grgic that reminds me of the real battlers we had for a while there, Ben Beams, Chris Lamb, Ryan Ferguson, Paul Johnson, Cameron Hunter, Shannon Motlop

Needs more Nick Carter & Craig Smoker, would love to see an analysis of every recycled player we've had from 1995 onwards. Reckon 1 in 4 has been a success. That being said, players who have left us to play elsewhere have almost always been average at their next club too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back