Under 17s Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Passionateman

Senior List
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
So round 1 has finished with some interesting results -

Craigeburn smashed by Moonee Valley - Have Craigieburn dropped right off, or are Moonee Valley going to win a few games in this comp?

West Coburg only just getting over East Keilor - East Keilor lost by a fair bit in the div 2 GF.

Hillside a few goals over Keilor at home - how many out for each side with 16s/18s TAC cup?

Abers 7 goals over Strathmore at home - 9 out for Abers, 6 out for Strathmore.

So round 1 has finished with some interesting results -

Craigeburn smashed by Moonee Valley - Have Craigieburn dropped right off, or are Moonee Valley going to win a few games in this comp?

West Coburg only just getting over East Keilor - East Keilor lost by a fair bit in the div 2 GF.

Hillside a few goals over Keilor at home - how many out for each side with 16s/18s TAC cup?

Abers 7 goals over Strathmore at home - 9 out for Abers, 6 out for Strathmore.

Moonee Valley have picked up some handy players, they should finish 5th I think. ( can't see them finishing ahead of the big 4 )

Abers have some good inclusions as well. Flag favourites by a mile.

I saw West Coburg v EK on weekend. Good contest, West Coburg probably just played the ground better. Number 4 for EK was a standout and number 12 for West Coburg played well.

Lots of boys already played TAC cup for Cannons,Jets in 1st few rounds.

Moonee Valley have picked up some handy players, they should finish 5th I think. ( can't see them finishing ahead of the big 4 )

Abers have some good inclusions as well. Flag favourites by a mile.

I saw West Coburg v EK on weekend. Good contest, West Coburg probably just played the ground better. Number 4 for EK was a standout and number 12 for West Coburg played well.

Lots of boys already played TAC cup for Cannons,Jets in 1st few rounds.

Thanks for your input.

I would think Abers again. They had 9 bottom ages in the winning Div1 flag and they won the div2 GF as well. So naturally I guess they will have the best depth? Strathmore will be there abouts again.
Word on the street is Ex Cannons coach Marty Allison is taking over Dale May as Strathmore Div 1 side for season 2018

Who will be favourite for 2018

Given they won all 3 of the U17 divisions they contested then Abers would be red hot favorite. Also won U16 A's last year.

Interesting to see what the league does with promoting their winning B's team. EDFL already showed favoritism by going against their own policy and keeping their C's in the same division despite playing the GF the year before.

My tip is despite Abers B's being better than some in Div 1 they will gift them yet another flag. This is why players gravitate there

Abers and strathmore only take players if there are spots available. I know most people don't believe that but it's true. So players will only be able to follow Marty if they have spots open up. IMO they will need a few to knock off Abers.

I'm sure all teams have spots as there is a natural drop off each year.

Word on the street is Ex Cannons coach Marty Allison is taking over Dale May as Strathmore Div 1 side for season 2018

Not just ex-Cannons premiership coach but current Vic metro and All-Australian coach! Would certainly attract a few players if true.

Having 2 sides in the one comp does not work. Abers had it a few years back in the 12s (I think the age group was) and they both made the gf. It ended very poorly with some incidents. If a team can field 2 really good sides why should they be penalised? It'd be like saying that the vfl side should come up and play afl because they belted other sides... it's the same age group.

Greenvale went undefeated in their reserves and thirds side... should they both go up a grade?
Should Abers B side go up to Div 1, I think so and it could work. The third side should also go up a grade or two depending on how much they dominated the other teams.

As for seniors it is a different situation.

I just told you how it didn't work previously. Please inform me how you see it working? I would like to know how you think it would work well.
From personal experience. I have seen a club with two teams in the same division. If the club is good enough to manage the players so that both make the final, good on them. The best players should be playing in the best division.

From personal experience. I have seen a club with two teams in the same division. If the club is good enough to manage the players so that both make the final, good on them. The best players should be playing in the best division.
When and where

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the edfl make sure that Div 1 next year has 8 teams and bring back the top 5
Any thoughts on that format????
Clubs need to take the challenge and strive for higher expectations and give their best players a opportunity to play at Div 1 and and improve their list rather than except the easy way out and play in a lower division. Moonee Valley stepped up from Div 2 and challenged and beat the premiers this season and played finals.
They could have easily sat back and won another Div 2 flag. They had the courage to improve their list.

I agree it would be nice to have 8 teams to play in the competition. The only issue is the gap... the top 3 sides from div2 would be absolutely smashed by the top 3 sides in Div1. If you have a look at the results from the 16s the year before it's not great for a club. So although I agree it would be better to have 8 teams, it can also destroy a junior side getting beating so badly. Under 17s is the make or break year for a lot of young players.

Agree, but I think there should be AT LEAST 8 teams in the Premier U17 competition in the district. I’d even push for 10.

All it does having 5 teams is pushing the huge inequalities down divisions.

Those complaining the bottom team won’t be competitive should consider that in a 10 team comp, they’ll be competitive with more teams in Div 1 than they would in a six team Div 2

Agree, but I think there should be AT LEAST 8 teams in the Premier U17 competition in the district. I’d even push for 10.

All it does having 5 teams is pushing the huge inequalities down divisions.

Those complaining the bottom team won’t be competitive should consider that in a 10 team comp, they’ll be competitive with more teams in Div 1 than they would in a six team Div 2
I agree you need to keep in mind that the top 4 teams will never field their best side as these particular clubs will have the majority of their top players @ TAC and private school football commitments this allows opportunities for other players to take opportunities and speed up their development in a higher grade.
It also allows clubs who think they are not competitive the opportunity on the day to beat the top sides this was proven this year in a 6 team comp where the bottom 2 sides in WC and MV whom played finals a chance to be competitive in a 16 round season.

Who will be the big improves next year
Who will slide based on what's coming up from 15s next year

What is the ruling on how many players are allowed to be cleared to another club.

Seems like 1 particular club has quite a few players from 1 club that can’t afford to loose players to a stronger club.

What is the ruling on how many players are allowed to be cleared to another club.

Seems like 1 particular club has quite a few players from 1 club that can’t afford to loose players to a stronger club.
Think it’s only 2 or 3
Then clubs can start denieing clearances

Surely the EDFL won’t allow clubs to have 2 teams in the same grade I’m hearing word on the street Keilor 1 team and Keilor 2 team in 17s comp are both playing Div 2 ???
Please explain next they will rank Aberfeldie in Div 1 seeing they won 3 flags in the 17s surely Common sense prevails her or is it just clubs with influence within the EDFL have to much say on the board.

Surely the EDFL won’t allow clubs to have 2 teams in the same grade I’m hearing word on the street Keilor 1 team and Keilor 2 team in 17s comp are both playing Div 2 ???
Please explain next they will rank Aberfeldie in Div 1 seeing they won 3 flags in the 17s surely Common sense prevails her or is it just clubs with influence within the EDFL have to much say on the board.
Yes those two clubs have influence over the EDFL. There is nothing wrong with a club having two teams in the one division

Yes those two clubs have influence over the EDFL. There is nothing wrong with a club having two teams in the one division
So you play against your teammates obviously you haven’t played the game comments like stick to the keyboard

Keilor always nominate lower divisions as they just want to win flags and jump up and down. The majority of times get their way but no always. Seroiusly what a joke if they don’t field a side in div1 in all grades let alone under 17s. Hopefully someone pulls them into line.
It’s one of the reasons other clubs get annoyed when they get beat by big margins by teams that should be playing higher. Keilor often tank in junior grading games, or switch players around just to play in the lower divisions.

So you play against your teammates obviously you haven’t played the game comments like stick to the keyboard
In fact I have played in a comp before where two teams from the one club played in the same division and I was in one of those teams.

Keilor always nominate lower divisions as they just want to win flags and jump up and down. .

Sorry but this is rubbish.

It is a simple and fair system.

Top 2 teams from previous year go up and bottom two stay down. Then Rounds 1 to 4 are grading.

Abers won Div 2 so they go up to Div 1 (where incidentally there are 3 teams they comfortably beat last year).

In the case of Keilor, I would expect them to jump straight back up to Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back