Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

I am baffled that the Cameron goal where he was hand balled to outside the field of play was not called back and a boundary throw in was implemented.

If, as we are told, every goal is assessed by ARC then it simply should not have been allowed.

It is a joke that we find this kind of incident happening, who is running this s**t show??????

It was the pies though so I’m not super outraged!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hundreds of contests per game, with every player pushing the limits. A few sets of eyes with limited fields of view. The speed of the game now requires repLays for the average viewer (who generally has a much better view than field umps). I'm surprised that the umps do as well as they do tbh.

To put it in perspective, they are apparently aiming for 80 percent accuracy for their calls/non-calls. Where those 20 percent inaccurate ones fall may influence how the (definitionally more biased than the umps) supporters perceive their performances

p.s. Full disclosure, every weekend of the season I am teaching my neighbours' sleeping children how to string together four letter words plus "UMPIRE???" at 3thou decibels. And if mine own son ever becomes umpire, he will be dead to me.

On SM-A235F using BigFooty.com mobile app

1691804755136.png

Boundary umpire is right there.

How on earth do they continue to get it this wrong?

Thankfully it didn't impact who won but this is as poor as it gets.

Hundreds of contests per game, with every player pushing the limits. A few sets of eyes with limited fields of view. The speed of the game now requires repLays for the average viewer (who generally has a much better view than field umps). I'm surprised that the umps do as well as they do tbh.

To put it in perspective, they are apparently aiming for 80 percent accuracy for their calls/non-calls. Where those 20 percent inaccurate ones fall may influence how the (definitionally more biased than the umps) supporters perceive their performances

p.s. Full disclosure, every weekend of the season I am teaching my neighbours' sleeping children how to string together four letter words plus "UMPIRE???" at 3thou decibels. And if mine own son ever becomes umpire, he will be dead to me.

On SM-A235F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure if your post is in response to my comment, probs not, let me be clear I’m not having a go at the umpires on the ground in this case, but the review system.

There was ample time to correctly apply the rules of the game and bring it back to a boundary throw in.

This type of error, which the on ground officials missed, should be corrected by the ARC system in just the same way a goal at distance is called back when it is touched off the boot.

Anyway rant/

View attachment 1771715

Thankfully it didn't impact who won but this is as poor as it gets.

From the MB Wickz

20230811_234250-png.1771431

View attachment 1771715

Thankfully it didn't impact who won but this is as poor as it gets..

Four umpires in the vicinity looking at it and all four didn’t say anything. It wasn’t even just a little bit over, that was a lot over and pretty obvious too.

Last edited:
I think it fare to expect the umpires to get the basics right. Last night oob was horrific, basic rule of the game not enforced- they could have & should have brought it back.
IMO umpires need to use more common sense in general - arm chops just set me off, u can bank on an good afl forward marking the ball - if they haven’t spuded it (which is easy to see) they should mark it if not infringed- just pay it.
They also need to find consistency on how long before a ball up, sometimes it’s instant, others it’s an age & the players pretty much stop then the ball squirts out.
I’m not asking for much, just be reasonably consistent.

Horrendous night for the umpires. At least 3 major talking points out of last night's game + 1 funny one.

1. The 1st bounce of the 3rd quarter

This had to be recalled. You cannot have a bounce - especially one to start the quarter - that so clearly and blatantly favours one side.

Yes it was ultimately within the centre circle but when we leave so much to umpire interpretation, the umpire's feel for the game had to be better here. It is absurd that this was called play on.

2. Smith --> Cameron OOF

This was out on the full. Clearly.

The umpire has made a mistake here. And that's OK; it's a bloody tough game to adjudicate. What's not OK is for the AFL to come out this morning and give it their tick of approval.

Admit the mistake, move on. You create a far greater talking point when you do what they've done.

3. Close handball --> Cameron --> Goal

This is different to the above two decisions, and easily the worst of the lot. This was not an error in interpretation; this was an umpire - in fact a number of umpires - blatantly ignoring a fundamental rule of our game.

You cannot receive a handball whilst out of bounds. It is that simple.

This should have been recalled by the controlling umpire at the time. It also highlights the absurdity of reviewing every goal, as we're told is standard AFL procedure.

What's the point of reviewing decisions if you don't have the function or worse the balls to overturn a clear heck up?

The ARC is a joke. It uses archaic and inadequate footage. The AFL refuses to put the money into it that is required. And if it exists but cannot overturn blatant errors such as this one, why the heck do we have it?

Just absurd.

The umpires involved in this one must be suspended. All 3 in the image posted above must be held to account, even though the boundary umpire cannot interfere.
Those 3 cannot be allowed to adjudicate going forward, for an indefinite period. They are not fit for duty.

4. Goal umpire - after the siren

What was he doing here? Clearly signalled a behind to Ollie Henry, then went to signal a 9-pointer as though he was adjudicating a Wizard Cup game, then decided it was a goal.

Had no impact on the result and I am actually very comfortable with him reassessing his own thoughts before making a final call, but it looked ridiculous.

I am minded of that game between us and WC where Nic Nat took the ball out of a centre bounce and between tapping it to himself, fumbling and carrying it travelled 40ish metres to kick an amazing goal. Didn't matter than that he broke the rules to do it by not bouncing the thing; doesn't matter now that Cameron did it there.

Sometimes, the spectacle is so chilling that even the umps are spellbound by it.

3. Close handball --> Cameron --> Goal

This is different to the above two decisions, and easily the worst of the lot. This was not an error in interpretation; this was an umpire - in fact a number of umpires - blatantly ignoring a fundamental rule of our game.

You cannot receive a handball whilst out of bounds. It is that simple.

This should have been recalled by the controlling umpire at the time. It also highlights the absurdity of reviewing every goal, as we're told is standard AFL procedure.

What's the point of reviewing decisions if you don't have the function or worse the balls to overturn a clear * up?

The ARC is a joke. It uses archaic and inadequate footage. The AFL refuses to put the money into it that is required. And if it exists but cannot overturn blatant errors such as this one, why the * do we have it?

Just absurd.

The umpires involved in this one must be suspended. All 3 in the image posted above must be held to account, even though the boundary umpire cannot interfere.
Those 3 cannot be allowed to adjudicate going forward, for an indefinite period. They are not fit for duty.
Even though the boundary umpire cannot interfere? The only umpire allowed to make that call is the boundary umpire (either of them could have). The field umpire would be doing something that isn't allowed by the laws of the game to do anything there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the MB Wickz

20230811_234250-png.1771431

That's impressive. However, I still point my finger at the boundary umpire. He's the one that adjudicates whether the ball is in the field of play or out of bounds.

Would genuinely love to see the reasoning here. It was clearly a mistake but it might actually make more some semblance of sense even if it's still wrong. As it is it just looks horrific and idiotic.

I also agree with Jeremias what's the point of having the ARC to correct scoring decisions on goals if they don't do it when it's this bad? If they come out and said the only thing they're checking is to see if a goal was a) touched or b) went through the right posts then I'd accept it but that's not what they've said that they do. Now it feels like they're "selective" in what and when they check for.

Not sure if your post is in response to my comment, probs not, let me be clear I’m not having a go at the umpires on the ground in this case, but the review system.

There was ample time to correctly apply the rules of the game and bring it back to a boundary throw in.

This type of error, which the on ground officials missed, should be corrected by the ARC system in just the same way a goal at distance is called back when it is touched off the boot.

Anyway rant/

Na not in response to yours. It was laughable at the time tha they let it go. Just saying that we're gonna have to live with inaccuracy, no matter how much it can infuriate.

Footballers going at 80 percent by foot are considered elite. Umpires dont really get noticed unless they have a stuff up at some meaningful juncture. A bit of a thankless job.

Again, I find it just as infuriating, but there are always going to be mistakes. Theyre human and we cant do it without them

That's impressive. However, I still point my finger at the boundary umpire. He's the one that adjudicates whether the ball is in the field of play or out of bounds.

Would genuinely love to see the reasoning here. It was clearly a mistake but it might actually make more some semblance of sense even if it's still wrong. As it is it just looks horrific and idiotic.

I also agree with Jeremias what's the point of having the ARC to correct scoring decisions on goals if they don't do it when it's this bad? If they come out and said the only thing they're checking is to see if a goal was a) touched or b) went through the right posts then I'd accept it but that's not what they've said that they do. Now it feels like they're "selective" in what and when they check for.
Boundary umpire is the only one to point the finger at. Two of them (the one at the top of the screen could also have called it). He is the only onet that can make that call.

They can change the rules to let ARC check stuff like this, and also missed free kicks, unwarranted free kicks, whatever we like. But the ARC at the moment only checks things the goal umpire was in charge of determining (not the field or boundary umpires). It always has and I'm not sure why you think otherwise. If it was to check more we'd get to a situation like soccer where it's hard to celebrate a goal because VAR may come over the top much more readily.

Boundary umpire is the only one to point the finger at. Two of them (the one at the top of the screen could also have called it). He is the only onet that can make that call.

They can change the rules to let ARC check stuff like this, and also missed free kicks, unwarranted free kicks, whatever we like. But the ARC at the moment only checks things the goal umpire was in charge of determining (not the field or boundary umpires). It always has and I'm not sure why you think otherwise. If it was to check more we'd get to a situation like soccer where it's hard to celebrate a goal because VAR may come over the top much more readily.
The central ump can over rule the bundary umpire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back