Umpire stopping play if someone is injured

Remove this Banner Ad

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brad Hill was about to kick for goal, the umpire stopped play because of a downed Port player. Then there's a ball up, Port immediately run the ball down the other end and goal

How long until coaches are teaching their players to take advantage of this ? You get beaten by your opponent, just lay on the ground and force a 50/50 ball up. The famous back to back goals of Buddy Franklin running down the wing with Cale Hooker chasing him. Under the new rules Hooker should just lay on the ground and play would be stopped

At the very least it should be mandatory if the umpire stops play for someone they must go to the bench for 20 minutes concussion or not

Jack Higgins got to run around and kick a couple goals after taking out a alir, should Higgins have been allowed to have an influence

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Jack Higgins got to run around and kick a couple goals after taking out a alir, should Higgins have been allowed to have an influence

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I'm not really talking about this incident since Aliir had a head knock. More wondering about the future where players know they can get play stopped and a 50/50 ball up if they stay down. Choosing to take 30 seconds to get up after a marking contest instead of 10 is a lot easier than fake calling for a stretcher

I'm not really talking about this incident since Aliir had a head knock. More wondering about the future where players know they can get play stopped and a 50/50 ball up if they stay down. Choosing to take 30 seconds to get up after a marking contest instead of 10 is a lot easier than fake calling for a stretcher
You're then relying on umpires to notice it and to stop play at just the right time before the opposition can take advantage of having an extra player in the contest. It's not going to be a tactic.

Player Safety means you stop first, ask questions later.

That's why the boundary/goal/video umpires should all be mic'd up (to each other) - get the controlling umpire to stop play immediately.

I'd rather the medical staff come out 3-4 times a game and play stops - than an injured player to be go unnoticed and without treatment.

I'd also rather AFL employ independent medical staff at games.

We don't need club doctors having their professional integrity questioned every time they set foot on the ground.

Player Safety means you stop first, ask questions later.

That's why the boundary/goal/video umpires should all be mic'd up (to each other) - get the controlling umpire to stop play immediately.

I'd rather the medical staff come out 3-4 times a game and play stops - than an injured player to be go unnoticed and without treatment.

I'd also rather AFL employ independent medical staff at games.

We don't need club doctors having their professional integrity questioned every time they set foot on the ground.

Independent doctors are far more likely to be overly cautious and pull every player every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back