Rumour Trouble at Brisbane? Do NOT Name Names, Thank You - BF Admin

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t done the #s but my guess would be the # of players who marry during their career would be higher than the national average for that demograohic. Just a guess.

The majority seem to be a pretty conservative bunch with a small percentile having a more radical ‘party minded’ attitude - it could even be argued these guys lead the others on - hence the Lions debacle.
I don’t think the majority AFL players are conservative. The majority are centre to progressive and are active supporters of progressive causes such as the Voice to Parliament.

“Party minded” is not a minority group in the AFL. The majority are cashed up young men who love to party.

I don’t think the majority AFL players are conservative. The majority are centre to progressive and are active supporters of progressive causes such as the Voice to Parliament.

“Party minded” is not a minority group in the AFL. The majority are cashed up young men who love to party.
I think you’re completely wrong and the number of mid-20s players who are either married or have kids or both supports this.

Last edited:
I think you’re completely wrong and the number of mid-20s players who are either married or have kids or both support this.
I disagree.

There aren’t many conservatives in the AFL. You’ll find the majority are supportive of progressive causes and do progressive things.

You can be progressive and married with kids but still enjoy the party lifestyle. Not like wives are banned from joining in.

I think you’ll find that players often have kids younger because they can afford to, more than because they’re conservative.

There are few religious players in the AFL, few players who openly support conservative causes, few players who are sober. Read a standard biography or Brandon Jack’s memoir and it openly shows what life is like at AFL clubs. Nobody has criticised the accuracy of these texts, either. It’s all a very socially liberal lifestyle.

Your version of ‘progressive’ and most others is radically different.

Marriage, Children, and ‘wife inclusion’ is hardly progressive!

Tell you what, tell me -

1 AFL footballer that has come out

1 that has come out and supported the Ukraine

1 that has joined an established minority party

1 that has spoken for animal rights

1 that has come out as Vegan

1 that has stood up against anti- vaxxers

1 that has taken on the AFLPA

1 that has travelled and supported an overseas charity like UNICEF

or even 1 that has come out against bullying.

NONE - these are relatively conservative lads who stick to what they are told to do, and rarely move beyond the boundaries of partying and piss-ups to actually push a boundary.

Even AFTER football. It’s media, farming, coaching or marketing - yep REALLY progressive.

Give it up while you’re losing.
Marriage is neither progressive or conservative.

1. There are players who are out in their own community and it's accepted. They're not out publicly for a long list of reasons. This doesn't mean they are conservative.

2. The Melbourne Demons showed their support to Ukraine.

3. Few players have actively supported a major party, let alone a minor party. Joel Bowden is a Labor politician in the NT and a former player. Labor has had other former players represented but in fairness, so has the LNP. Not a usual career choice for footballers post-playing.

4. Chris Mayne and Luke Parker are both vegan. There are vegetarians in the AFL, too. Chris Mayne has openly spoken about animal rights.

5. Players turned on Jack Darling when he didn't get a vaccine. Players would be brave to call out anti-vaxxers.

6. The AFLPA is a union, which are generally considered progressive. Speaking out against the AFL is not favourable for a player's career.

7. AFL players work with local charities in remote Australian communities such as in the NT. Like a lot have. Don't have international examples for you.

8. Many players have spoken out against bullying in the community and at clubs. Eg. racism. Do I need to name names there? That includes racism at clubs, too. Eg. Lumumba, Hawthorn, Winmar, etc. Racism can be a type of bullying.

Media can be progressive. Coaching is neither conservative or progressive - wild take to suggest you're conservative if you coach. Marketing can be either. Farming I'll give you.

Last edited:
Marriage is neither progressive or conservative.

1. There are players who are out in their own community and it's accepted. They're not out publicly for a long list of reasons. This doesn't mean they are conservative.

Its a poor example of ‘being progressive’ I agree - but how many have taken an ‘Adam Goodes’ type stance over homophobia?
2. The Melbourne Demons showed their support to Ukraine.
I’ll give you that.
3. Few players have actively supported a major party, let alone a minor party. Joel Bowden is a Labor politician in the NT and a former player. Labor has had other former players represented but in fairness, so has the LNP. Not a usual career choice for footballers post-playing.
None have joined a progressive political party and taken an active role while playing.
4. Chris Mayne and Luke Parker are both vegan. There are vegetarians in the AFL, too. Chris Mayne has openly spoken about animal rights.
Three players - Hardly a display of Animal Activism.

And ZERO Greenpeace representation

5. Players turned on Jack Darling when he didn't get a vaccine. Players would be brave to call out anti-vaxxers.

What? I said how many supported vaccinations either through Govt Health messaging or simply wearing a Tee shirt.
6. The AFLPA is a union, which are generally considered progressive. Speaking out against the AFL is not favourable for a player's career.
Again not my point - I said ‘taken on the AFLPA’ over an issue. IE gone against the prevailing view.
7. AFL players work with local charities in remote Australian communities such as in the NT. Like a lot have. Don't have international examples for you.

Exactly. Hardly at the forefront of human rights.
8. Many players have spoken out against bullying in the community and at clubs. Eg. racism. Do I need to name names there? That includes racism at clubs, too. Eg. Lumumba, Hawthorn, Winmar, etc. Racism can be a type of bullying.

Yes- they have. I didn’t think that one through when creating my examples of ‘progressive behaviour and action’
Media can be progressive. Coaching is neither conservative or progressive - wild take to suggest you're conservative if you coach. Marketing can be either. Farming I'll give you.
Sport Media is not progressive…THAT is the media where they work.
Neither is selling cars - or houses - or advertising vitamins
Wine production maybe

So my point is proven - very few AFL players engage in ‘progressive’ activities OR occupations when they leave.

They are conservative by nature and a very small percentage ‘push the boundaries’ in any sense.

Unsure why this is the case - I would say education in wider things is often ignored because of football, a lot come from country backgrounds which offer less exposure to ‘progressive thinking’ and peer pressure requires players to ‘pull their heads in’.

Have a nice life, turn the light off when you leave.

Last edited:
Its a poor example of ‘being progressive’ I agree - but how many have taken an ‘Adam Goodes’ type stance over homophobia?

I’ll give you that.

None have joined a progressive political party and taken an active role while playing.

Three players - Hardly a display of Animal Activism.

And ZERO Greenpeace representation

What? I said how many supported vaccinations either through Govt Health messaging or simply wearing a Tee shirt.

Again not my point - I said ‘taken on the AFLPA’ over an issue. IE gone against the prevailing view.

Exactly. Hardly at the forefront of human rights.

Yes- they have. I didn’t think that one through when creating my examples of ‘progressive behaviour and action’

Sport Media is not progressive…THAT is the media where they work.
Neither is selling cars - or houses - or advertising vitamins
Wine production maybe

So my point is proven - very few AFL players engage in ‘progressive’ activities OR occupations when they leave.

They are conservative by nature and a very small percentage ‘push the boundaries’ in any sense.

Unsure why this is the case - I would say education in wider things is often ignored because of football, a lot come from country backgrounds which offer less exposure to ‘progressive thinking’ and peer pressure requires players to ‘pull their heads in’.

Have a nice life, turn the light off when you leave.
This is a strange take.

Essendon players called Finlayson out on-field. In terms of Goodes, no player is openly gay in public so …

You don’t need to be an activist to be progressive. There are footy players who have established eco or climate charities (Footy for Climate, Jasper Pittard and Tom Campbell started this one), supported causes, etc. There are progressive people in almost all industries including car sales. At the end of the day, it pays the bill and progressives still need to drive. Lewis Hamilton is a professional driver and progressive!

Have you seen the amount who are involved in disability support and education? Many are involved in either or both sectors. You can Google the work they do. Some paid, some unpaid.

Free the Flag campaign - players from Mason Cox (regularly wears merch in support of progressive causes) to Bobby Hill was behind it. Other clubs involved. Not really a conservative stance.

Do you seriously think Riewoldt works for Fox or BT for 7 because they’re conservative? No. Because it’s where they have a contract and that’s where the money is. Outside of ABC radio and broadcasts in traditional language, there’s not many options.

This is a strange take.

Essendon players called Finlayson out on-field. In terms of Goodes, no player is openly gay in public so …

You don’t need to be an activist to be progressive. There are footy players who have established eco or climate charities (Footy for Climate, Jasper Pittard and Tom Campbell started this one), supported causes, etc. There are progressive people in almost all industries including car sales. At the end of the day, it pays the bill and progressives still need to drive. Lewis Hamilton is a professional driver and progressive!

Have you seen the amount who are involved in disability support and education? Many are involved in either or both sectors. You can Google the work they do. Some paid, some unpaid.

Free the Flag campaign - players from Mason Cox (regularly wears merch in support of progressive causes) to Bobby Hill was behind it. Other clubs involved. Not really a conservative stance.

Do you seriously think Riewoldt works for Fox or BT for 7 because they’re conservative? No. Because it’s where they have a contract and that’s where the money is. Outside of ABC radio and broadcasts in traditional language, there’s not many options.
Please go away - your practiced misinterpretation of the obvious is irritating and boring….You’re the very worst type of troll….wilfully misinterpreting plain truths.

Please go away - your practiced misinterpretation of the obvious is irritating and boring….You’re the very worst type of troll….wilfully misinterpreting plain truths.

how about illicit drug use? is that progressive or conservative?

how about illicit drug use? is that progressive or conservative?
It’s risk taking , so not conservative behaviour.

I didn’t introduce the word ‘progressive’….my point was more that most don’t push too many boundaries.

It’s risk taking , so not conservative behaviour.

I didn’t introduce the word ‘progressive’….my point was more that most don’t push too many boundaries.
Most do push a lot of boundaries. Off the top of my head:

Drugs - it’s no secret AFL players do drugs. They push the same boundaries as other teens but have a better supply of money.

Alcohol - AFL players drink a lot and push boundaries with it.

Sex - I think the recent scandals say enough. Past players have spoken about their experiences with this including prostitutes.

Gambling - players gamble. Sometimes on footy (Mr Stephenson), definitely on horses, definitely experience gambling addictions.

Crime - do we need to start a list of players who’ve been naughty?

Parties - AFL players party hard.

Driving - too many done for speeding, dangerous driving and drink driving.

None of this is surprising adolescent behaviour but to say they don’t push boundaries is laughable. I’ve known enough players before they were drafted and almost all were pushing boundaries, with them usually being old for their age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So don't get in a relationship, if you're just planning to 'play the field' and root anything that moves regardless. Or make the ground rules clear from the outset. What's so hard about that?

For me, the way that the players were busted is the only really newsworthy part - and by far the funniest. If 'the rules' had been made clear to the WAGs from the start, it wouldn't have been a story. Although something tells me that these guys wouldn't be quite as accepting of these implicit rules if the shoe were on the other foot.
Well yes that's the general rule , especially for all us "Normies"
But surely you can't be naive enough to think people of "higher status" play by different rules . Whether it's right or wrong is up to the individual

But my point is it's basically a fact that if you get into a relationship with these type of people you run the risk of that everything, it's trade off for having the ability to brag you're dating a footballer /high status guy and living comfortably financially , and we all know girls love that s**t.

Imagine getting into a relationship with someone like Drake or tiger woods and then crying that they cheated.

Well yes that's the general rule , especially for all us "Normies"
But surely you can't be naive enough to think people of "higher status" play by different rules . Whether it's right or wrong is up to the individual

But my point is it's basically a fact that if you get into a relationship with these type of people you run the risk of that everything, it's trade off for having the ability to brag you're dating a footballer /high status guy and living comfortably financially , and we all know girls love that s**t.

Imagine getting into a relationship with someone like Drake or tiger woods and then crying that they cheated.

Are they open and honest about their cheating (sounds like a contradiction of terms)? If not, why not?

I mean if it's open knowledge that that's the trade-off, why hide it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back