Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be ample lists spots available for 2025 and we should look at targeting some value stock at other clubs. Be very keen to park an eye on Conor Stone from GWS. Cabn't get a game atm but I've watched him in the VFL and he potentially could be an excellent pick up. Very nice mover - plays mid/forward
Agreed , players like him or josh fahey , I’ve drifted off will Phillips after a pasty senior return last week

Rioli - He's contracted until 2027. If we are to trade him then it needs to be a deal we can't refuse. Unless if it's a top 5 pick I would be expecting more than a single first round draft pick.

Baker- Unfortunately I think he is certain to go to WA next year. If it's Freo then they have a spare first round pick to trade for him. If it WC then I can't see them parting with a first round pick. My guess is we will get their 2nd this year and next year.

Graham - he is likely to want a trade. I think we'll be getting a second round pick for him.

Martin- unsure what he is going to do. At the moment I'd say 40% chance he'd stay with us, 40% chance going to either a Sydney or Queensland club, 20% chance retiring. If he continues on I think it will be a 2-3 year contract at around 650-700k. If he leaves I think that would net us a band 3 (2nd round) compo. I'm starting think band 2 (before 2nd round) compo was a bit too optimistic of me in my previous comments.

Prestia and Grimes - Ideally I would like them to play on. Even if they can't play a full season their experience will be valuable.

Broad - Idealy I want to keep him. But if he wants trade then a second round would be expected.

I wouldn't trade anymore than what I mentioned above. While we want more youth on the list we don't want to cut too deep in the bigger bodies and experience. The youth we bring in won't learn much if they lose by 10+ goals every game.
grimes is an embarrassment atm he can’t bend down

Yep, some of the suggestions to trade a lot of our decent performing older players is just idiotic. Going the full Hawks or Norf rebuild is not a path I’d be wanting our club to be treading.
We have a more than decent draft hand this year, will trade picks to get into a few high end selections hopefully.
Need to just suck it up a bit for this season and next. But having said that, we should improve a lot next season if we get even a half decent run with injuries
Corn is even calling for us to do that which is enough reason alone not to do it. No doubt so he can smash us for it in 3 yrs time & we end up like Norf & claims we made an error by cutting too deep "just like Norf did" etc. We can all see how it'll go, as u mentioned, Horf/Norf have shown us how NOT to do it.

Perhaps , he’s having a good year tho bakes not doing his value any harm ,,,,at all
While he's having a good year, he is still a small utility who is very good, but not really elite in any particular position. A 1st & 2nd is what you pay for elite level players. That being said, if Hartley can pull off that sort of deal for Baker wanting to return home, he's done extremely well, but I can see it being either a late R1 from Fremantle or a couple of R2 picks from WCE in 2024 & 2025 with us sending a R2 or R3 pick back to them.

it is what schultz got last year, hardly overs for Baker
Schultz was a contracted player that the Pies had to pay up for to get him out of Fremantle. Baker is out of contract this year.

Contract vs uncontracted doesn't make much of a difference, other teams can't get Baker unless they trade for him and Baker is a lot better player than schultz
Contracted makes a big difference, clubs aren't obliged to let a player go if they aren't getting a fair deal in return, if an uncontracted player really wants out and his current club won't do the deal they can simply walk to the draft and get to where they want to do. So it doesn't matter if Baker is a better player or not, circumstance dictates that we won't get the type of value some are hoping for.

While he's having a good year, he is still a small utility who is very good, but not really elite in any particular position. A 1st & 2nd is what you pay for elite level players. That being said, if Hartley can pull off that sort of deal for Baker wanting to return home, he's done extremely well, but I can see it being either a late R1 from Fremantle or a couple of R2 picks from WCE in 2024 & 2025 with us sending a R2 or R3 pick back to them.
If the $$$ offers are in the $85ok area i'd be asking for that in return. They are the ones putting a high price on him if those reported figures are accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracted makes a big difference, clubs aren't obliged to let a player go if they aren't getting a fair deal in return, if an uncontracted player really wants out and his current club won't do the deal they can simply walk to the draft and get to where they want to do. So it doesn't matter if Baker is a better player or not, circumstance dictates that we won't get the type of value some are hoping for.
The draft has only ever been used like twice from memory, Carlton with Jack Martin and Adelaide with Jackson Hately. It is not a viable path, if Baker leaves we will get more than fair value.

He wouldnt get to freo tho if he walked to PSD , the value of his contract offer will shape what collateral is required

If the $$$ offers are in the $85ok area i'd be asking for that in return. They are the ones putting a high price on him if those reported figures are accurate.
Wouldn't necessarily believe the numbers reported in the media.
The draft has only ever been used like twice from memory, Carlton with Jack Martin and Adelaide with Jackson Hately. It is not a viable path, if Baker leaves we will get more than fair value.
Agree we'll get fair value, but IMO we're not getting a R1 & R2 pick straight up for Baker, we'd need to be sending something else back.
He wouldnt get to freo tho if he walked to PSD , the value of his contract offer will shape what collateral is required
For mine the value for Baker is as I mentioned above, either a late R1 pick from Freo or a couple of R2 picks from WCE with us sending back either a later pick this year or swapping picks with them in R2 2025

Both WA sides very interested makes it compatible at least with the Schultz deal.

Both WA sides very interested makes it compatible at least with the Schultz deal
Only if Baker doesn't care which WA side he goes to, if he picks one then the bidding war doesn't eventuate.

Don't trust the friend of a friend sources, and that's probably overs / a good deal for us if it eventuated
Yeah Nah . He's my roster clerk.lol
Hasn't been with us long but the conversations I've had with him he appears too know people closer too the club .

Back