Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

After last night's game, Baker no chance to want to be at Freo. They would have to give him some amazing pitch.
Future 1st with West Coast and probably have to give something back.
I reckon he is more chance staying now which is different to how I was thinking 1 week ago.

I would say Bakes is going purely for the go home but more so to do with the massive amount of cash they're offering. He's had his on field success with us and it's time to cash in back in WA. I don't blame him at all and have loved him as a player.

We can turn 15 into something good. Probably package picks to move up the order based on previous trades and commentary.

Have we stuffed up with Dusty being an unrestricted FA?
Probably would have got more last year at the trade table than we’d get this year if he was to leave as a FA.
But I’d hate to be the list manager, that traded out one of our all time greats

I'm a bit worried this year will be a terrible draft, and we're gonna be stacked with picks... What shit luck if so.

Normally by now you'd have heard of the next "hype" player, like the next Sam Walsh, Matt Rowell, Harley Reid etc, the midfielder dominating games and perhaps the next 1 or 2 players just behind him.

We're nearly in May and so far crickets. Not looking good.

Anyone got any intel?

Filling in some of the back catalogue.

Trainor had a fantastic opening game to the Talent League season and put all draft watchers on notice. His kicking skills were a particular feature here, direct, attacking and precise.

I'm a bit worried this year will be a terrible draft, and we're gonna be stacked with picks... What s**t luck if so.

Normally by now you'd have heard of the next "hype" player, like the next Sam Walsh, Matt Rowell, Harley Reid etc, the midfielder dominating games and perhaps the next 1 or 2 players just behind him.

Anyone got any intel?
Most of what I have heard is that it’s a fantastic draft group that goes really deep. The top 10 are really close together in terms of talent with lots of mids.The midfield group is comparable to the 2019 super draft.

Really good draft to have lots of picks (especially for a club like us needing mids!)

I'm a bit worried this year will be a terrible draft, and we're gonna be stacked with picks... What s**t luck if so.

Anyone got any intel?
All reports are the complete opposite, being heralded as one of the best drafts in some time. Stacked with mids but light on for talls.

All reports are the complete opposite, being heralded as one of the best drafts in some time. Stacked with mids but light on for talls.
No clear number one is probably good for us too, because I think we've been competitive enough to avoid the wooden spoon.

No clear number one is probably good for us too, because I think we've been competitive enough to avoid the wooden spoon.
Agreed, North will have pick 1, that is without doubt now IMO.

They are also stacked with mids so will be an interesting watch.

Anyone got any intel?

Looking at the last 6 or 7 drafts we would be very unlucky IMO if this year's draft is terrible. Out of all the drafts 2020 looks the worst and you could probably put that down to Covid and lack of matches.

1713928644755.png
1713928694837.png
1713928771764.png
1713928824667.png
1713928875323.png

2022 & 2023 probably too early to tell but still looks promising:

1713928972496.png

1713929018064.png

Attachments

• 1713928928165.png
    1713928928165.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 13

Yep, sucks if you are after an A grade KPF (looks around). But rebuilding you midfield this a good draft to be deep into.

No generational star, but a lot of high quality mids.

For us we really need that KPF, but the midfield is he engine room everything else is built around. So, IMHO, if we can build a top end midfield now then we can find that forward line over time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, sucks if you are after an A grade KPF (looks around). But rebuilding you midfield this a good draft to be deep into.

No generational star, but a lot of high quality mids.

For us we really need that KPF, but the midfield is he engine room everything else is built around. So, IMHO, if we can build a top end midfield now then we can find that forward line over time.
Absolutely no genuine Tom Lynch type KPF in this draft.
Probably around 12 a grade mids.

It’s a really weird time to be in this position but as a long term fan I’m excited to see the club go through this rebuild to see how we respond. I’m liking Yze so far, we’ve played with heart and had some exciting passages.
My club positions as follows
Premiership window/knocking on the door: Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Collingwood.
One step back: Port, Gold Coast
No man’s land: Essendon, Bulldogs, Freo, Adelaide, St.Kilda
Rebuild: Richmond, Hawthorn, North, West Coast
Based on that I think the Top 7 listed will play finals the next 3-4 years (maybe Geelong could slide), Port could slide and I think the no man’s land sides how found the true direction/sides yet.
We need to build for long term success and be able to play finals for 10 years.
Love these boys but I’d look to offload them best on where we sit and get some pics which we can go to draft and/or get an up and coming star if possible.
Rioli potential 1st Round
Baker 1st Round
Broad 2nd Round
Martin Retire Frees up cash
Prestia Retire Free up cash
Grimes undecided may go one more
Ralphsmith move on
McIntosh Float a trade may go to WA
Cumberland Float a trade
Graham Trade to SA
Pickett may go again but may get locked up

Players that need to elevate to the next level: Dow, Ross, Clarke, Coulthard, Brown, Mansell, Ryan, Sonsie, Banks, Campbell
Our lock for Top 23 if all fit: Vlaustin, Taranto, Short, Gibcus, Lynch, Balta, Hopper, Nank, Bolton, Brown, Young, Miller that’s only 12 when fit. We need a minimum of 5 from the players that need to elevate group especially Ryan.
That’s 17.
We need to find a solid spine and a midfield we’ll need to be very smart over the next two drafts and work on our medical team. We also need to make some big moves unfortunately otherwise there’s a fear we could be stuck in no man’s land.

For the Soldo trade what did we get for Port ?.
Google GIF by Originals

No doubt we'll deal for GC 1st pick and give them points for academy kids
Just looking at GC picks in 2024 and they most likely will have enough points without trading with anybody and may just trade into next year or a higher pick . 8, 11, 20, 27, 28, 50

27, 28, 50 = 1653 which covers a bid at #4 for Lombard and their next academy kid will be a 2nd rounder which they can take into deficit

They can trade 8,11,20 to go upto pick 3 or into 2025

Brisbane #7 is now looking like the best result for Richmond to trade with

Anyone got any intel?
What gives u that idea

At least we can use FA to go after the KPF we need in the next yr or 2 (once Lynch retires) & can use the Draft to focus elsewhere as we have a few gaps to fill out among the next gen players we are getting into the Club. That may be a big reason why Balta has been playing fwd this yr, to see just how desperate a need that is. Balta coming on as a fwd eases the need away from being desperate in the immediate sense. The benefit with using FA is we'd know what we are getting. drafting a KPF can be hit/miss & can often take 3-4 yrs to work out the one u get isn't up to it.

Back