Summer Tokyo 2021 - General Discussion and Preview Thread (23rd July to 8th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

100% I'm actually blown away how easy it is to switch from sport to sport. Tonight I watched the Bahrain vs Portugal handball match, straight to the fencing final, into the last 10 minutes of the weightlifting. All outstanding battles. I've been able to watch a variety of sport and engage with things I'd not normally watch. Think 7 have done a fantastic job with 7plus.
Agree. Last night I was able to watch Spain v Serbia water polo on 7+

Never been able to watch the big teams play each other in the preliminaries before in the not so popular sports. Its fantastic.

100% I'm actually blown away how easy it is to switch from sport to sport. Tonight I watched the Bahrain vs Portugal handball match, straight to the fencing final, into the last 10 minutes of the weightlifting. All outstanding battles. I've been able to watch a variety of sport and engage with things I'd not normally watch. Think 7 have done a fantastic job with 7plus.

Especially in combination with the great IOC Olympic app where one push of a button shows you every live event currently in process. Look for something that takes your fancy then bring it straight up on 7+

I've gotten heavily into every Olympics since the first one I remember as a kid in Seoul, but with this year's set up I feel like I'm able to engage on a level way above what I ever have before. These are privileged times we live in.

I feel like this is something a lot of people are missing judging from the gripes about dressage and Basil and interviews with Ariarne Titmus' third cousin.

Full credit to 7+ for their setup even if there were minor technical difficulties and lack of clarity at times. Why watch free to air TV? I understand the convenience but internet streaming is the go-to nowadays.

Also second those saying just go with the world feed for swimming - the Brit and Nicole Livingstone are knowledgeable, provide analysis on all teams (not just the Brits and Aussies) and clearly love the sport without resorting to excessive cliches, editorials or bias. Just avoid clicking the 7 or 7Mate channels on 7+.

Try it tomorrow morning, folks - you won't go back.

You no doubt have seen a new team at these Games. ROC. Simply it stands for the Russian Olympic Committee, and it is essentially a loophole that allows Russian athletes to compete in the Olympics while their country is banned from the Games because of its doping scandal.

There are some specific rules the ROC has to follow to make clear it is not representing the country of Russia. More than 300 athletes had to prove to the IOC that they had no link to the doping scandal.
So under the ban, Russian athletes can still play as neutral athletes -- which means they do not technically represent a specific country.

The team still bears the national colors of white, blue and red, and features athletes who have represented Russia in previous Olympics.

Kinda baffling this. But if the 300 athletes are clean then no reason why they cant compete. But let's not fool anyone, they are still representing Russia so every medal these ROC athletes win is further glory and propaganda for Putin and the Kremlin.

I feel like this is something a lot of people are missing judging from the gripes about dressage and Basil and interviews with Ariarne Titmus' third cousin.

Full credit to 7+ for their setup even if there were minor technical difficulties and lack of clarity at times. Why watch free to air TV? I understand the convenience but internet streaming is the go-to nowadays.
Because you can have a second screen going.
I've had my computer, tablet and TV all going at oncem

The advantage of home Olympics kicking in for Japan nicely in the medals table. This was basically last night's total as only event this morning has been female triathlon and medals went to Bermuda gold, GBR silver and USA bronze.

In 1964 Tokyo games Japan won their most golds 16 and 29 medals from 163 events. In Athens in 2004 they also won 16 and their most total medals of 37 from 302 events. Looks like they are on track to win 30 golds from 339 events.

1627348187825.png

No but they have hurdles, steeplechase, walking. All the strokes are very different.

I'm not against putting obstacles in the pool, and find the walking bizarre as well.

Marathon runners are allowed to walk, but walkers can't run!

Are there rules against freestylers using different strokes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not against putting obstacles in the pool, and find the walking bizarre as well.

Marathon runners are allowed to walk, but walkers can't run!

Are there rules against freestylers using different strokes?
Not for Freestyle, thats in the name Free - Style. You can do any stroke you want.

So streaming on 7+ (plus). what i dislike about the feed/app/site is that there's no "live" button to go live.

case in point. accidentally paused. i want to go to the exact moment in time (now) not recontinue at paused time
It exists on the website - next to the volume controls like in many other video players

7plus.PNG

Question for anyone who has watched a lot of 7+.

Almost everytime I click on a sports feed, up comes a blank page and usually there is sound/commentary. I have to reload the page to get vision. Is this normal?

Question for anyone who has watched a lot of 7+.

Almost everytime I click on a sports feed, up comes a blank page and usually there is sound/commentary. I have to reload the page to get vision. Is this normal?
I often get the black screen with sound, but usually only last a few seconds before vision - don't have to refresh.

I often get the black screen with sound, but usually only last a few seconds before vision - don't have to refresh.
Ok I will be a bit more patient the next time I click on a feed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back