Summer Tokyo 2021 - General Discussion and Preview Thread (23rd July to 8th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo
Lol
Think he may know a bit about Athletics. Good choice.

He won the Stawell Gift off the mark of 7.5 metres.[1] Also won the 1992 'novice' 100m at Stawell, and followed his Gift win in 1993 with a win in the backmarkers 120m invitation in 1994 - one of only two athletes in the history of the Stawell Gift to win all three in successive years.

His professional running career wins also include the 1996 British Professional 200m championship, plus wins in the Prahran & Smithton Gifts. He has also been placed in Australia's two other major Classic Gifts - the Bay Sheffield (SA) and Burnie Gift (Tas).

Definitely lacking the usual atmosphere without any crowds. Just doesn't seem like the big event the Olympics are supposed to be.

I've been to 3 Olympics and the contingent of Americans at each games was huge. The amount of US media, US fans and supporters and of course US athletes blew me away. You can't deny the fact that the USA have a big say on the size and scale of the summer Olympics.
Ofcourse. but they aren’t the sole reason the olympics exist.

Definitely lacking the usual atmosphere without any crowds. Just doesn't seem like the big event the Olympics are supposed to be.
I was concerned about the lack of crowds but from what I've watched today, the athletes are getting right into it and it has been fantastic to watch. I think team sports are fine without the crowds.
I think the event that will feel the impact of no crowd the most will be the athletics.

For anyone who watches the softball, keep an eye out for Japan's pitcher from tonight's game against Italy. She is a leftie with a bloody great fastball pitch, called Miu Goto. Saw a bit of her live and then the highlights package, she is bloody difficult to pick and hit because of her lightening speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of small nations, or nations not known for sports dominance are on the board with medals

- Kosovo, Ecuador, Thailand, Slovenia, Taiwan, Mongolia, Tunisia, Estonia, Israel, India and Indonesia.

So we all thought the 7 commentators during the opening ceremony said some dumb s**t. Korean TV wins hands down.

When Ukraine entered they used a picture of Chernobyl.

p74jw6us0zc71.jpg

Copy paste from reddit.

Apparently they messed a lot of things up that it deserves a list.

Romania-a picture from the movie dracula

Ukraine-picture of chernobyl

Turkey-man making ice cream And cardi B

Italia-Pizza

Norway-salmon Quote from the comments: "do they just google the country and use the picture without thinking?"

Mexico-Tacos

Japan-sushi

(In their defense, they used about 3 pictures for each country and foods were only one of them, so it wasn't using only foods to represent a country.)

Chile-one of spain's heritage

Samoa-Dwane Jhonson, Roman Reigns

Dominica republic-David ortiz

El salvador-bitcoin

Haiti-picture of a bomb terror, also mentions their president being assasinated

Palestine-wall between israel

And other things they messed up..

China-talks about beijing, picture points on wuhan

America-calls the capital "washington", forgets the D.C.

Gabonaise-cut due to ads

Indonesia-points to malaysia

Marshall island-calls them a "once america's nuclear testing area"

Nauru-talks about their country's economic failure

Timor-leste-mentions their liberation from indonesia, which is a problem because you don't mention international politics in the olympics usally

Pakistan-also mentions their liberation, with the wrong date

Australia-"center of Oceania", a statement that could offend some people

Also they put in GDP per person and vaccinated rates in their description, which is not really relevant. And this isn't even the full list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back