Summer Tokyo 2021 - General Discussion and Preview Thread (23rd July to 8th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you could have got good money betting Kosovo would be top 10 on the medal table at this point.
Both golds in womens judo.

Its a pity Australia have never been strong at any of the olympic combat sports (judo, taekwondo, wrestling, boxing, fencing and now karate) as all now hove both mens and womens as well as different discplines within some of them and different weight divisons so there are plenty of medals to be won.

Both golds in womens judo.

Its a pity Australia have never been strong at any of the olympic combat sports (judo, taekwondo, wrestling, boxing, fencing and now karate) as all now hove both mens and womens as well as different discplines within some of them and different weight divisons so there are plenty of medals to be won.

Wasn't wrestling on the verge of being removed?

Agreed though that this is an opportunity as there are plenty of medals on offer, but there just isn't the culture here.

Does anyone remember the table tennis mixed gold medal match won by Japan? ripping table tennis contest where the Japanese came from 2-0 games down to win in the last game(4-3)

China are taking the loss well

For all of you who have flicked over and seen the gymnastics on and thought, geez that Liz Chekovich or however its spelt, is doing the gymnastics again, and then thought how long has she been doing it and she must be some sort of professional judge?? I decided to look up how to spell her name and got a link to her linkedin page and saw this.

Oh and its spelt Chetkovich. Wonder if she as analytical and technical with the young WA female cricketers.

1627563637231.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday Japan broke their most golds ever record. Won 16 of 163 events held in 1964 and 16 in 2004 at Athens.

Watching the Matildas 1/4 final game v GBR replay on 7.

Is there any better commentator in Oz sport now or the last 50 years than Brenton Speed when he calls a Sam Kerr goal??

The way his inflection goes up with a - Sam KerrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR when ever she scores a goal id brilliant. He's been doing it for years, whoever employs him to call Matildas games.

I found this a really good read on the whole Laurel Hubbard controversy.

Of note, much of the media all left when Hubbard was eliminated, barely caring about the winner lifting 37kg (or more than 13% - 320kg vs 283kg) more than the silver medallist. The silver medallist beat the bronze medallist by a single kilo.

Even Usain Bolt in his prime was only about 0.2 seconds faster than his competitors running 9.8 seconds. The Venezuelan triple jump queen Yulimar Rojas smashed a world record to jump 15.67 metres, or 66cm (4%) more than her closest rival.

Li is one of the most utterly dominant athletes of recent times in their event.

I found this a really good read on the whole Laurel Hubbard controversy.

Of note, much of the media all left when Hubbard was eliminated, barely caring about the winner lifting 37kg (or more than 13% - 320kg vs 283kg) more than the silver medallist. The silver medallist beat the bronze medallist by a single kilo.

Even Usain Bolt in his prime was only about 0.2 seconds faster than his competitors running 9.8 seconds. The Venezuelan triple jump queen Yulimar Rojas smashed a world record to jump 15.67 metres, or 66cm (4%) more than her closest rival.

Li is one of the most utterly dominant athletes of recent times in their event.
Yep loved that article.

Some seriously impressive performances this games, more than I can remember before.

Yep loved that article.

Some seriously impressive performances this games, more than I can remember before.

I don't want to ask the question but I will. Could a lot of this be due to doping? I read an article pre the games which suggested many athletes were barely tested last year due to covid. Shouldn't think about that stuff but the glass half full part of me just wonders that sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back