Analysis Toby McLean's Stratospheric Rise to Awesomeness

Remove this Banner Ad

Your onballers need to be ultra fit and great two way runners (Bont, Macrae types). If Libba is in there, you can't have West and Toby as well, as sides would just break away from the stoppage two easy.

I like Westy, yet I think he will only ever be a bust player in the middle and the same goes for Toby. They just can't get up and down like the best of the best and our game plan is very demanding for the onballers.

I think Toby's best role in 2023 will be as the high half forward who becomes the extra mid at a stoppage. With Treloar and Baz getting more mid time, should be a spot for him

He could play a key part in the side as a defensive mid, who can rest forward. His best is very good. In his limited midfield minutes so far he found the ball ok.

My query is that Bevo had him in and out of the side as a forward pre injury, and didnt give him many great looks as a midfielder. Even late last year, Bevo didnt select him till the final. There is something about the way he plays that Bevo doesnt like, and i can see more of the same discussions next year. why wont he play him? etc. etc. there is a bit of late era D. Cross about him in that he too often goes backwards out of stoppage as his first instinct not forward. maybe thats the Bevo knock on him.

so while i see him playing a role next year, i think it will be more of the same
TBH my take is different.
He was rushed back into the team for the final despite being a little underdone. That shows me he's highly rated.

His ability to play forward as well as centre square mid is useful for the way we play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back