Timid Tiger's Top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said he was no good, just said i dont think he is the best player in the league. He is cleary in the top 10 but i think sheen and a few others are better at the moment.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. But take this from someone who has played with Kurt prior to going to the VFL and now this season - he has improved his game immensley. However the ways which he has improved would not be observable to the people standing in the crowd. As a team mate though you do notice.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. But take this from someone who has played with Kurt prior to going to the VFL and now this season - he has improved his game immensley. However the ways which he has improved would not be observable to the people standing in the crowd. As a team mate though you do notice.

Agreed. I could say the same about Alan Chandler, Jamie Cann and Chris Weller. Some of the roles they play each week, would suprise no one. It is actually that they are able to pull it off whilst still getting 30+ touches that is amazing.

We all have players at our own clubs that stand out and I am even talking about Dusties. But that is why this sort of topic is always debated because we only look no further than our own clubs. Controversy is all these threads deal in.

Still, good reading though.

Concider that Sheen is a cherry picker and if he drops a mark he just walks away and makes some1 clean it up. Taking nothin away from the fact that he is a reliable pair of hands.

It's hard to do a top 10 when you can only judge from players that i've seen in the past play well
in no specfic order
Rory Gilette
Tommy Johnson
Ryan Donaldson
Darren Sheen
Clint Evans
Clint Williams
Matt Campbell
Brett Dore
Kurt Batt
Brett Anthony

I get to see quite a bit of the sides around the swamp area (Nyora, Catani, Kooweerup, Lang Lang, Nar Nar Goon, Cora Lynn, Bunyip and Longwarry. Here is my top 20 not including the warragul sides and poowong as i have not seen them enough to comment.

1. Kurt Batt (Lang Lang)
2. Darren Sheen (Cora Lynn)
3. Tye Holland (Longwarry)
4. Clint Evans (Lang Lang)
5. Owen Fitzpatrick (Catani)
6. Luke Hughes (Cora Lynn)
7. Clint Williams (Nar Nar Goon)
8. Dean Hislop (Nyora)
9. Aaron Alger (Catani)
10. Phil Smith (Catani)
11. Rory Giliatte (Nyora)
12. Andrew Oldmeadow (Nar Nar Goon)
13. Nathan Osler (Nyora)
14. Robbie Hughes (Bunyip)
15. Dale Robinson (Lang Lang)
16. Mitch Collins (Cora Lynn)
17. Matthew Campbell (Longwarry)
18. Luke Franklin (Lang Lang)
19. Ben Collins (Cora Lynn)
20. Chris Jones (Nar Nar Goon)

I get to see quite a bit of the sides around the swamp area (Nyora, Catani, Kooweerup, Lang Lang, Nar Nar Goon, Cora Lynn, Bunyip and Longwarry. Here is my top 20 not including the warragul sides and poowong as i have not seen them enough to comment.

1. Kurt Batt (Lang Lang)
8. Dean Hislop (Nyora)
9. Aaron Alger (Catani)
10. Phil Smith (Catani)
13. Nathan Osler (Nyora)

Reckon thats a pretty good top 20... Luke Serong is one player who seems to go under the rader, but would be the best small forward in the league and has allready kicked 30 odd goals

others that would be close are Wade, Horaczko, the young kid from buln (Nobelius ???), towt, Morgan, Dyker, Tymensen

1. Kurt Batt (Lang Lang)
8. Dean Hislop (Nyora)
9. Aaron Alger (Catani)
10. Phil Smith (Catani)
13. Nathan Osler (Nyora)

No Brown. That is an outrage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my updated top 20

1. Darren Sheen (Cora Lynn)
2. Tye Holland (Longwarry)
3. Clint Evans (Lang Lang)
4. Tom Johnson (Ellinbank)
5. Clint Williams (Nar Nar Goon)
6. Owen Fitzpatrick (Catani)
7. Ben Collins (Cora Lynn)
8. Corrie Wilson (Nyora)
9. Dean Hislop (Nyora)
10. Kael Berguls (Nilma Darnum)
11. Kurt Batt (Lang Lang)
12. Luke Hughes (Cora Lynn)
13. Andrew Oldmeadow (Nar Nar Goon)
14 Mitch Collins (Cora Lynn)
15. Nathan Osler (Nyora)
16. Robbie Hughes (Bunyip)
17. Dale Robinson (Lang Lang)
18. Brad Horakzco (Cora Lynn)
19. Brad Jones (Nar Nar Goon)
20. Allan Chandler (Nilma Darnum)

Left a few gun players like Campbell, Giliatte, Miles, Anthony, Sweeney, Hooker, Alger and Cann out simply because they have not had their best seasons. Tried to judge it mainly on this years form. Other players that were stiff were Franklin, N.Jones, C.Jones, O'Hara, Serong, and Morgan.

hmmm....mitch collins in but no C.Jones, not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Based on reputation or performance?

Tye Holland is nowhere near the 2nd best player in the comp. Not a match winner in my opinion, not damaging enough. Gets a lot of his footy in the back half and around the back of the mark. Still a good player but can't influence a game like a Evans, Williams, Bergles, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Batt, Gilliate, Jones etc can.

But overall not a bad effort on a very hard task.

Mitch Collins is a CHF, jones plays FF. Jones kicked 7 against us but Mitch Collins was better than him and he only kicked 2 or 3 i think. Its only 1 game and both played well but Collins was better from what i saw.

Chris Jones is nowhere near the top 50, let alone top 20.

He goes OK but miles from top 20.

Put any half decent footballer at FF for the Goon and they would do the same job.
They are the second highest scoring team behind Cora Lynn yet he has only kicked 50 goals as a permanent FF.

In my opinion the forward line is where the Goon may fail come finals if they are to falter.
Against Catani, they only won because they had Dore up there to help Jones, who only managed 1 goal for the day.

Chris Jones is nowhere near the top 50, let alone top 20.

He goes OK but miles from top 20.

Put any half decent footballer at FF for the Goon and they would do the same job.
They are the second highest scoring team behind Cora Lynn yet he has only kicked 50 goals as a permanent FF.

In my opinion the forward line is where the Goon may fail come finals if they are to falter.
Against Catani, they only won because they had Dore up there to help Jones, who only managed 1 goal for the day.

Lucifer, very harsh assessment. I think you'll find that he was carrying a pretty restricting injury that day. And yes he was beaten after 1/4 time. He was well on top in the first quarter but missed a couple of shots he'd normally kick and then i really think the injury took it's toll the further the game went on. How can you make an assessment on his year on that one game? Don't worry about how many goals he has kicked, he creates just as many. He doesn't play as a permanent FF, so please do your homework before making an assessment. On the weekend against Poowong he played predominantly CHF and still kicked 5 in a losing side.

In my opinion, we nearly lost against you blokes because Dore played. The boys were to conscious of kicking to him rather than playing the way the usually do.

Bit of a contradiction for you to say the forward line is where the Goon might struggle come finals time, but yet in the same breath you make the statement that they are the 2nd highest scoring side! The reason being is they have a lot of avenues to goal instead of just one or two. I know what i'd rather have. It's a lot harder to stop 6 or 7 forwards than 1 or 2...

Maybe we should just give the cup to NNG now, you have taken over from LL and Cora Lynn as the most cocky team in the comp.
Jones played out of goal square against nyora and kicked 7 but with the delivery he got if he was as good as Collins, Osler, Batt, Sheen, Fitzpatrick or Bergels or evens Mick Santo he would have kicked 12. He is a good player but not in the top class of FF.

Maybe we should just give the cup to NNG now, you have taken over from LL and Cora Lynn as the most cocky team in the comp.
Jones played out of goal square against nyora and kicked 7 but with the delivery he got if he was as good as Collins, Osler, Batt, Sheen, Fitzpatrick or Bergels or evens Mick Santo he would have kicked 12. He is a good player but not in the top class of FF.

Hey, who said they were cocky? I have no direct involvement with the club, I just know a few of the boys down there. What is posted on here is just my own opinion. Besides, nothing i've said on here has even hinted at cockiness or the Goon being over the line for the flag. All i've done is give an opinion from a NNG perspective, geez you blokes don't like people having an opinion that differs from your own do you...big bunch of sooks.

Don't think he would be able to stop sooking long enough to kick 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back