Cryptozoology Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that always bothered me about endangered animals is this.

Cows htf do we maintain their numbers?

We have a fast food joint on every corner attended by millions of people every day.

How do we maintain their numbers? Now I get it's farmed and bred but given how much is consumed on a daily basis and the world's population, it just doesn't add up in my mind.

We have a fast food joint on every corner attended by millions of people every day.

How do we maintain their numbers? Now I get it's farmed and bred but given how much is consumed on a daily basis and the world's population, it just doesn't add up in my mind.
Go to the amazon and see McDonalds led company's chopping down millions of trees to support cattle feed lots.
After five years of this the land is unable to support any more growth and more forest needs to be denuded to support more bits of beef.
Thoroughly disgusting to witness.
And will never give McDonald's a cent again.

Last edited:

Interesting to note that the greenies are completely silent on the issue of methane gas being produced by cows worldwide. It is a much more damaging greenhouse gas that isn't absorbed by trees like carbon is. Yet not a peep about it.

By clearing out four Tasmanias a week from the Amazon rainforest for cattle.

Just after ash Wednesday (Feb 1983) my aunt and cousin were driving from Lorne to aireys inlet and they claim to have seen a thylacine on the road at Cathedral Rock. They still swear that's what they saw. Apparently some other guy saw it about the same time and wrote to the sun about it where the experts shut him down.
Obviously it's just a rumour nowadays but that's what the say they saw.

Just after ash Wednesday (Feb 1983) my aunt and cousin were driving from Lorne to aireys inlet and they claim to have seen a thylacine on the road at Cathedral Rock. They still swear that's what they saw. Apparently some other guy saw it about the same time and wrote to the sun about it where the experts shut him down.
Obviously it's just a rumour nowadays but that's what the say they saw.
Lighthouse keepers at Wilsons Prom also logged in the daily charts the sightings of the occasional "tiger".
Cape Otway lighthouse keepers never documented sightings in the daily log but they spoke of the "tigers " for many years.

Also should be noted that the first Spotted Quoll{endangered}sightings and captures were in the same Lorne to Anglesea area.
The first capture and sightings of the "White lipped snake" were also from the same spot.

I heard about the 'Last Thylacine locked out' story a few years ago, and was interested. After all, the Thylacine was a Tasmanian species anyway, and was a nocturnal hunting creature, so it should be used to Tasmanian nights. It's not a 'Polar Bear in Brisbane zoo' or 'Goanna in Norway' situation.

Most of the story of the Last Thylacine comes from an interview in 1968 by a gentleman who claimed he was an employer at the zoo. At the time, the zoo denied he had ever worked for them. However, once the story is published it 'becomes fact' - and the rebuttal and correction gets printed on page 37, 3 months later.

The other thing to notice is that the Hobart zoo thylacine was captured in 1933. From the film (also made in 1933), it is clearly an adult. Thylacines were estimated to live between 5 and 7 years in the wild. So if it was an adult in 1933 and died in 1936 - maybe it was just old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watchin dockers match.

This week it was announced dingoes arrived 3500 years ago as opposed to 5000 thought previously.
Dating was done in South Australia. It was thought the dingo wiped out devils and thylacine off the mainland.

Dingo arrival coincides with decline of native predators on Australian mainland: fossil study

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...-tasmanian-tigers-devils-on-mainland/10009938

Link ^^

"The most likely story, say the researchers, is that dingoes and New Guinea singing dogs then dispersed to their destinations via a separate route to the dogs that arrived with Polynesia's first people 3000 years ago. They also made the journey much earlier."

Certainly they survived post 1936, there are enough reliable sightings to indicate a few were kicking around for another fifty years or so. Hydro Tasmania employees used to see one at a power station in the southwest (note: not in the national park and not in typical Tiger territory, to be fair) but I think sightings for that specimen stopped in the 1970s or 1980s.

Now? Sadly, the odds are less than 1%. My dreams that one day they'll clone them and bring them back have been shattered in recent years by the news that the remaining DNA is pretty useless.

Certainly they survived post 1936, there are enough reliable sightings to indicate a few were kicking around for another fifty years or so. Hydro Tasmania employees used to see one at a power station in the southwest (note: not in the national park and not in typical Tiger territory, to be fair) but I think sightings for that specimen stopped in the 1970s or 1980s.

Now? Sadly, the odds are less than 1%. My dreams that one day they'll clone them and bring them back have been shattered in recent years by the news that the remaining DNA is pretty useless.

Both Tiger and Devil fossils have been found in South West Western Australian caves. They weren't hunted out by white man.

Maybe they were out competed by dingoes? Were there Dingoes in Tasmania?

Both Tiger and Devil fossils have been found in South West Western Australian caves. They weren't hunted out by white man.

Maybe they were out competed by dingoes? Were there Dingoes in Tasmania?

i think in the case of the Mainland populus, it was most definitely the introduction of dingos competing for prey that contributed to the extinction. Also I have read but cannot recall the source, that Thylacines were hunted by Indigenous folk.

Tasmanian Thylacines were the apex predator and in such a small remote area the introduction of white men and hunting practices definetly were the cause of extinction.

Firstly - cows aren't an endangered animal.
Secondly, it's a big world outside of your bedroom walls. I advise switching off your computer someday and venturing out for an experience.
Go outside of the cities and you'll encounter things called farms where cows live.
Hop on a plane and visit things called other countries. You'll meet other people. That's a good thing for anyone.

Funny... I was talking to Dad the other day and a bloke he knew swore that he saw one a few years ago in country Victoria...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back