Cryptozoology Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)

Remove this Banner Ad

For them still to be alive, then there'd need to be at least 1 viable pair still living in the wild....And given the amount of tourism & people in Tassie nowadays, can't see how that's at all possible.....Probably just a wild dog that's escaped, would be my best guess.
Wrong.
I was part of a group that was doing a reco on a re-enactment walk from hells gate to hobart.using modern equipment it was deemed very difficult with a overly huge risk.
Some of the toughest bush experts didnt want the job of going into the dense area with little chance of evacuation in case of emergency.
Yeah 'tourism' doesnt cover nowhereland.

Wrong.
I was part of a group that was doing a reco on a re-enactment walk from hells gate to hobart.using modern equipment it was deemed very difficult with a overly huge risk.
Some of the toughest bush experts didn't want the job of going into the dense area with little chance of evacuation in case of emergency.
Yeah 'tourism' doesn't cover nowhere-land.

When was the last Tassie Tiger that was confirmed to be alive?.....Back in 1936 in captivity in a Hobart zoo.

You're asking us to believe that it's survived for 80 years, without a single positive sighting, or even a dead carcass turning up?

Tassie ain't all that big my friend.....and given that it's in the nature of all dogs to be scavengers, then I doubt that not a single tourist or local wouldn't have happened upon one in the bush in that time.

When was the last Tassie Tiger that was confirmed to be alive?.....Back in 1936 in captivity in a Hobart zoo.

You're asking us to believe that it's survived for 80 years, without a single positive sighting, or even a dead carcass turning up?

Tassie ain't all that big my friend.....and given that it's in the nature of all dogs to be scavengers, then I doubt that not a single tourist or local wouldn't have happened upon one in the bush in that time.

I agree that it would be an amazing discovery and is extremely unlikely... but

It isn't a dog.. and you don't seem to know much about South-West Tasmania..

I agree that it would be an amazing discovery and is extremely unlikely... but

It isn't a dog.. and you don't seem to know much about South-West Tasmania..

Well, it looks like a dog....And Thylacine is actually Greek for 'Dog-Headed pouched one'.

It is also carnivorous & shares many of the same traits as canines.....And South West Tassie has never been thought to have been part of it's 'range' either.

upload_2017-9-7_11-41-3.png

Well, it looks like a dog....And Thylacine is actually Greek for 'Dog-Headed pouched one'.

It is also carnivorous & shares many of the same traits as canines.....And South West Tassie has never been thought to have been part of it's 'range' either.

View attachment 412691
There have been sightings in South-West, but the lack of evidence is probably more to do with the remoteness and inaccessibility to the region than anything else. In fact, 'Benjamin', the last one to die in captivity was caught in the South-West region (not to be confused with the South-West National Park).

There have been sightings in South-West, but the lack of evidence is probably more to do with the remoteness and inaccessibility to the region than anything else. In fact, 'Benjamin', the last one to die in captivity was caught in the South-West region (not to be confused with the South-West National Park).

You'd of thought that if they could so readily catch them in 1933, then doing so since would have been far easier....They don't strike me as being the most elusive or shy of creatures from that footage.

Still, it's nice to have a bit of mystery & romance I suppose.

I mean, How many Victorian rural towns still have a Black Panther on the loose in their shire?;)

You'd of thought that if they could so readily catch them in 1933, then doing so since would have been far easier....They don't strike me as being the most elusive or shy of creatures from that footage.

Still, it's nice to have a bit of mystery & romance I suppose.

I mean, How many Victorian rural towns still have a Black Panther on the loose in their shire?;)
Yeah, as I said in my first post, it is highly highly unlikely, but we are on the weirdo forum!

About 25% of the state is basically untouched in the SW National Park. Tassie isn't all that big, but its not Philip Island either (about 30% of Vic size).

Very few people go to a lot of bush areas, and not just the wilder, untouristed, parts of national parks. Its possible they survive, but despite what I saw in the mid 80s (had all the hallmarks, right colour and size, stiff tail, hint of striping, but only a quick glance so probably not a thylacine) its very, very unlikely.

i-0e4c97e967c64df1ba734a062b705932-Rilla-Martin-1964-uncropped_Aug-2010.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the last Tasmanian Tiger in captivity confirmed alive.

The Night Parrot was considered done and dusted.

I used to work for a Vic Govt. dept earlier this century. Once handled a rather thick file on Thylacine sightings in Victoria (along with Big Cat sightings.)There were a lot of really interesting images, but nothing conclusive at all. The big cat stuff was pure paranoia, but the Thylacine stuff actually seemed a little more legit. I love em', so I hope they're sneaking around somewhere.

Where any of the photo's taken with a real camera, or did they all look like they where taken with a potato?

That shouldn't be a problem if they want to clone an existing Thylacine. Establishing a breeding population would be significantly harder (but this barrier is no different for any extinct animal with a small DNA sample size).

The Night Parrot was considered done and dusted.
Big difference.

1. The Night parrot is extremely similar in appearance and habits to another rare bird (Ground parrot), which was regularly seen and tracked. In fact it was only with DNA testing (on old specimens) that it was finally agreed that the Night Parrot was a separate species. It is quite possible some people had seen a Night Parrot before, but in the absence of definite proof otherwise, it had to be assumed that it was a Ground Parrot.

2. There had been several discoveries of feathers, possible nests, and even dead specimens over the years.

3. All signs and discoveries were done by trained researchers and museum staff - unlike the Tassie Tiger reports, which tend to be enthusiastic amateurs. There are no funded research projects into the Tassie Tiger, because (at this stage) there is no evidence pointing to it's possible survival past 1936.

The Tigers were only hunted in areas of human habitation/farming. It's very likely that many thrived in the isolated wilderness areas of Tasmania

Didn't the scientists make the point that lack of genetic diversity brought them to the brink?

If that is taken at face value, then combined with hunting, the remaining wild populations have probably died out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back