Cryptozoology Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)

Remove this Banner Ad

There are also plenty of modern mainland reports. There are rumours some may have been introduced to Wilson's Prom in the early 1900's, not much evidence for that though. My uncle swears he saw one in northern NSW about 30 years ago.

There are also plenty of modern mainland reports. There are rumours some may have been introduced to Wilson's Prom in the early 1900's, not much evidence for that though. My uncle swears he saw one in northern NSW about 30 years ago.

Yeah I know someone who lives down near Inverloch and says there are plenty around. I think we might have heard more about it if that was the case.

Read the link I posted, they were living in my suburb as recently as 10 years ago. There was an article in the local paper a year or two ago about it, I'll see if I can find it.

They are probably very smart animals and know to stay away from cities/towns.
Little off topic but your name/avatar reminded me, it's amazing how much animals actually fear cities and towns. My mum can remember watching the Ash Wednesday bushfires from the edge of Torquay, a mob of about 60 Kangaroo's came hopping out ahead of the flame and pretty much got to about 50m away from housing, stopped and turned away, hopping back towards the flames.

Point of that story was especially if this animals been hunted it's not implausible for them stay away from any signs of humans, although I'm not aware of much of the geography of Tasmania/the Thylacine's sight, hearing, smell etc. Unfortunately I think it's still a bit far fetched for a sustainable, breeding population to be out there but god I hope so.

Exchanged for foxes on the boat. Haha
It is far more likely that thylacienes are alive on the mainland than foxes are in Tasmania, but the rort keeps on giving. They certainly did exist on the mainland, and from memory maybe parts of Indonesia too.

I saw something, very briefly, in the bush of north east Tas as a kid. Right colour and the tail was sticking out like it was stiff, but most likely just a feral dog whose tail was in that position for the momentary glimpse I had of it. Whatever I saw, it was stroling through thick growth (ferns and stuff as well as the trees) and I only saw it for no more than half a second.

If they do still exist in Tas, it would have to be in the west or south west. But even then, there would have bee some evidence by now. They may have lasted a few generations after the official extinction date, but if they had any success breeding the results would have been seen by now.
I have come across a few people who think the have seen them in areas near the east coast, but strongly suspect they are mistaken (or ocassionally hoaxes).

Here's a photo taken is South Australia in 1964, the animal has been called 'Rilla's critter' after Rilla Martin who took the picture, locally it was also known as the Ozenkadnook Tiger. In true cryptid tradition the picture isn't totally clear an the animal is partly obscured. In some ways it looks like a thylacine, but in other ways not so much. The stripes are certainly wrong, but it's possible the stripes were actually caused by shadows. It's one of the more interesting cryptid photo's I've seen.

Rillas_Critter.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thylacine footage from South Australia 1973. It's running style and tail look kind of thylacine-ish but hard to tell.

Any idea where this was shot/filmed?

Yeah was a dodgy photo, apparently a hoax anyway. There's one more photo I've seen of the back end of a thylacine with its head down a wombat hole I think? Can't seem to find it though.

dying of a broken heart in either Richmond Zoo, Tasmania or a zoo in Richmond, Tasmania, 1936, not certain which.

I read it died of neglect; it was a hot day, and Benjamin was left outside. When it got cold at night, it froze. It should have been brought in before this but someone forgot. This happened a couple of weeks after the Thylacine was labelled as "in danger" of extinction. The day the last thylacine died in captivity is now world in danger of dying animals day, or something like that. There's conflicting reports about which zoo it is; hobart zoo, richmond zoo, beaumaris zoo, etc. Point is someone ****ed up and the last known thylacine died because someone couldn't be ****ed.

Are they still around? I think so :)

http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0520-hance-thylacine-new-guinea.html

How would they bring it back?
I know that people are thinking of making a elephant give birth to a mammoth but you need a close relative of the species.

Even as a kid it's always been saddening to learn Tasmanian history.

How would they bring it back?
I know that people are thinking of making a elephant give birth to a mammoth but you need a close relative of the species.

Even as a kid it's always been saddening to learn Tasmanian history.

They've talked about using a Tassie Devil as surrogate, a lot of scientists are pretty sceptical that would work though. As much as I' love to see them back, we might be best trying to save what we still have first, Tassie Devils have their own issue.

I used to work for a Vic Govt. dept earlier this century. Once handled a rather thick file on Thylacine sightings in Victoria (along with Big Cat sightings.)There were a lot of really interesting images, but nothing conclusive at all. The big cat stuff was pure paranoia, but the Thylacine stuff actually seemed a little more legit. I love em', so I hope they're sneaking around somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back