Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

The dog was stung by a bee on the nose yesterday and all day yesterday and last night he just wouldn't move or eat anything. Today he was a little bit better but still nowhere near his normal self. But, this evening he is all of a sudden back to the little energetic puppy that he normally is and all he wants to do is play as if he is making up for the 24 hours prior.

I honestly never knew anything about this, save ‘succulent Chinese meal’ being some random phrase. Just watched the original arrest and Chats mv, feeling so thoroughly out of the loop right now lol, thanks for bringing me up to speed.
Feel old: I saw that news item on TV at the time it happened.

Was a 50 min drive into the city this morn, absolute scenes!

Coming home today was a s**t show. It felt like everybody had lost their collective minds and it was every man for himself and * road rules

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random youtube in my feed, 1992 Nissan-Mobil 500 street race in Wellington. Wow, blast from the past. Re a message about volunteering a couple of years ago (edited):

Regarding sports events volunteering, depends on the event arrangements and the role. The ones I've volunteered at, I've either been in the thick of the action or else been right up close while its on. eg flag marshal at car races, or people marshal at the international equestrian 3 Day Event.
Volunteered use of myself and my motorbike to the flag marshal organisers at the Wellington touring car street races, was *ing awesome. Official Race Courier. Ride around the track picking up incident reports from the flag points to take back to race control, and spend the actual qualifying/races stationed with the starter at the start line. A couple of times they sent me out for a flat-out lap on a "hot" track (behind the safety car) to get a specific report back to the stewards. Be very different now with all the video feeds but it was an experience no money could buy.

1992 was a pretty special race. The weather was fine but blustery cold southerly wind, a Wellington special. We got there about 7am to start setting up, the support races were due to kick off around 8.

There was a big Mobil banner stretched across the start line between two steel posts dynabolted into the surface. I noticed as the gusts hit the banner was bellying out a little more each time, so wandered over for a look - the wind was pulling so hard on the post that it was rocking back and forth, pulling the bolts out a bit at a time. I called the starter over and he immediately called for it to be tightened up - to no avail, the bolts kept working out. The first support racers were already on the track and were halted at the pit entry while the banner was taken down, delaying the start by about 15 minutes.

There's always plenty of incidents in the lower classes, so they gave me a list of flag points to pick up incident forms (say 5, 13 and 17) and I'd roar off on the bike to those points, grab the form and shove it in my pocket, and zoom to the next one. Once back at the start line I'd pull off behind the barrier and run the forms to race control.

As the touring cars were forming up on the grid I saw some dark clouds coming in over Island Bay. As a local I knew that we would be in for a heavy shower or two but the sky looked brighter behind. It was still bright and sunny and all the cars were on slicks, I told everyone I could about what was about to happen but noooo, wtf would I know?

Sure enough as they were on the grid the rain started. As they went off on the formation lap behind the safety car the heavens opened, it was a frigging monsoon. The commentators were rabbiting on about how they'd have to stop and declare it a wet race and everyone would follow the safety car into the pits... when they came round the safety car peeled off and everyone stayed out. There was nothing to do but hit the green light and start. And away they went, Emmanuelle Pirro tiptoeing his M3 in the lead.

Except for Peter Brock who went into the pits for wet tyres. He lost a lot of time getting the wets on and coming out at the rear of the race, and couldn't use them due to so much traffic.

By the end of the third lap the rain had almost stopped and Brock had forced his way up to 7th and was lapping 15 seconds faster than Pirro.

The fourth lap the rain stopped and a semi dry line started to appear. Those on slicks got faster and faster and Brock eventually came back in for slicks but he never really recovered and finished sixth.

I got poised to ride because John Sax had run up Brock's backside and they wanted the incident form the first time the safety car was called out, but it took a while and they sent a runner to pick it up instead. Which suited me as I wasn't keen on going out there with the big boys, even in front of the safety car, because there's always a danger from back markers being waved past the safety car and they are going flat out to catch up. I had no faith in waved white flags saving my arse... :)

Having the memory brought back - and seeing myself standing in the rain in my full bike gear watching the race - pleases me.
Good times.

Big Brucey getting properly smacked by the judge today.

Nothing about that shitshow has been a positive and I hope this gives Brittany even a sliver of closure but it was mildly satisfying to see the morons defamation case blow up.

“Having escaped the lions den Mr.Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat” is iconic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back