Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

During the 2011 footy season all the (Asia-Pacific) Borders stores closed in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. The likes of Gaddafi, Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston and Kim Jong-il outlived the last store closure.

Amazon seem to have acquired (the now dissolved) Book Depository immediately after Borders vanished from Australia.

God I'm a clumsy old *. I'm falling over at least once every day now. I'd see my doctor, but I don't think it's anything to do with balance or my ears or anything, I think I'm just clumsy, and I've always been too confident in my ability to bounce back up... which doesn't happen anywhere near as quickly these days.

I impaled my hand with a stick when I fell over before walking my dog, it's only just stopped bleeding after 2 hours. Not ideal.

God I'm a clumsy old *. I'm falling over at least once every day now. I'd see my doctor, but I don't think it's anything to do with balance or my ears or anything, I think I'm just clumsy, and I've always been too confident in my ability to bounce back up... which doesn't happen anywhere near as quickly these days.

I impaled my hand with a stick when I fell over before walking my dog, it's only just stopped bleeding after 2 hours. Not ideal.
My memory is slipping a bit. I have to play association games sometimes to remember names and I lose words a lot more than I used to.

You might need a neurological examination.

Eat some meat

I had a scare today

My leg cramped up badly and I twisted off the bed to sit up and leant forward putting pressure on to relieve the cramp and felt myself going and laid on the floor 20 minutes trying to work out what happened

Go back into bed eventually and felt liquid

No it wasnt that it was blood - ripped the bottom of my foot and split the webbing between little toe and next one

My memory is slipping a bit. I have to play association games sometimes to remember names and I lose words a lot more than I used to.
I will compose a post or start telling a story and I know the sentence structure until the word I want is gone. I then stare blankly trying to work out what the word was going to be - even staring and repeating the sentence like an idiot trying to kickstart the brain

Grace Park's 50th birthday
512b51db76eeaf1a7db4956024afe333.jpg
You bastard. That hit me where it hurts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only did I have my second cataract surgery, I even managed to fall on the floor of my hospital room while going into the toilet with my walker. The nurse was able to partially break my fall, but my butt took a hiding. They had to get a mechanical lifter to get me off the floor and back to my bed. Luckily I only ended up with a bit of a groin strain and just another loss of dignity. Getting old is tougher than I thought it would ever be.

On a positive note, I can now see distances without glasses or contact lenses for the first time since 1962. The surgery is actually rather cool, being awake, though sedated, and hearing the chit-chat during surgery and feeling nothing as they replace the lens.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not only did I have my second cataract surgery, I even managed to fall on the floor of my hospital room while going into the toilet with my walker. The nurse was able to partially break my fall, but my butt took a hiding. They had to get a mechanical lifter to get me off the floor and back to my bed. Luckily I only ended up with a bit of a groin strain and just another loss of dignity. Getting old is tougher than I thought it would ever be.

On a positive note, I can now see distances without glasses or contact lenses for the first time since 1962. The surgery is actually rather cool, being awake, though sedated, and hearing the chit-chat during surgery and feeling nothing as they replace the lens.

I have both my eyes to be done this year sometime

I do fear the being awake but I'll see how I go

Friend had their left done and some discomfort but they soldiered through

It really is a quick procedure. My surgery was about 36 hours ago, and the eye is a bit fuzzy, but I'm even able to type this from my phone. I have eyes drops four times a day for three weeks and a shield to cover the eye while sleeping for about a week. Now I only hope the glaucoma in my left eye stays stabilised.

I’ve been told for years I’ll need cataract surgery “one day” , but each year I go for my eye checkup and it’s still “one day”.

My brother had his done about ten years ago. One of them didn’t “take” and had to be redone. Then a year later he suffered a detached retina which was operated on, on Christmas Eve. Fortunately since then he’s had no more eye dramas.

Another friend of ours had a long-distance lens put in one eye, and a reading lens in the other. She doesn’t need glasses for anything.

You win

Late last year I was at a Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers concert at the Metro. For those unfamiliar with them, their fan demographic is mostly teenage or early 20s girls. I wasn't the oldest person there but there weren't too many over 50s. There weren't too many over 30s either!

So I'm standing there with my 23yo daughter, beer in hand, the warm-up act has finished, we're waiting for Teen Jesus to come on, when this kid, would have been 19 or 20, comes up and asks me to look after her drink while she went to the toilet. No problem, I say.

I didn't think anything of it but my daughter was amazed. Apparently being asked to guard someone's drink is quite an honour, usually reserved for trusted friends, and it's something girls have to do whenever they're out.

When TF did drink spiking become a common thing? :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back