The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Spit systems are a no brainer.. most importantly for heating.

I’d highly recommend getting a battery installed at same time, if you get solar.

In 2019 I paid $8,200 for an 8.6kw solar system.
5 weeks ago I paid $22,000 for another 6.5kw of solar and a 19.2kw battery
My Total now is 15kw solar and 19.2 battery
Total cost $30,000… you would get a much better deal now.

Last year I imported 4700kws (13kw per day) from the grid, even though I already had solar. that’s $1880 worth @$.40 a kw..

My total consumption was 9700 kw at @ $.40 = $3880
My day rate is $1.77

Currently, 6 weeks before the shortest solar day of the year im
Making $3 a day profit after day rate. My conservative estimate is $4 a day over 365 is $1460.
I’m getting 15cents FIT with Engie in nsw. I’m not importing anything from the grid and don’t imagine importing anything other than maybe 5-6 days a year..

So $30200 \ ($3880 + $1460)
30200/5340. = payback in 5.6 years.

Getting a battery that is controllable is important… I’m losing about a $1 a day because it charges in the morning instead of during the middle of the day.
I’m now trying to learn about Home Assistant automation which can help with battery control.

I also have my entire house on black out protection.

If I was getting a system now and had $30k, I’d fill my roof with as much solar as possible North East west… and get an even bigger battery.
Sungrow is the brand I went for. 10 year 10,000 cycle warranty.

EDIT- I didn’t include day rate into payback calculations .. another $646

So $30200 \ ($3880 + $1460 + 646)

30200/5986. = payback in 5.045 years. Less if power prices increase.

Thanks. But I wait even longer? FOBTE

What do you meant they arent selling?
1 in 5 new cars sales is electric, compared to 1 in 7 this time last year

So you claim that 20% of new cars are electric?
Where do you get this bullshit from?
Or are you editing segments, not counting the monster trucks most Australians buy for family transport?

Australian carbuyers have gone from one of these for dad /family tranport
holden-vt-commodore-3g.jpg

and this for mum to drive to work/school/shops.
( in my case my wife had the large SUV, and i had the small commuter, suited us both ).

OIP.Jtq041Re3RNjGgJPcJlBMwHaEb

Fast forward to today and we have :

This for dad.

OIP.b0JOQVv1XMK0PmfdRKcYwgHaDt

And this for mum.

OIP.4GmpDLOJh3UNo3nsZqG5gAHaEK

Why are MG's outselling Toyota Corolla's? Because Toyota's are more expensive. Also they perceive that an "SUV " has more room, even though its probably no more than a jacked up Corolla.

I'd suspect that those buying Tesla's are the ones who used to buy BMW 3 series or Mercedes A Class.
Those who can afford image. In Melbourne most probably don't go as far east as Dandenong, or further West than Flemington. They probably buy cars more often than those in the "wish i could afford a new Toyota this year demographic "

The hard part will be convincing those who absolutely "need" a twin cab ute for their daily drive to work, and the shops , and the pub, to go electric. Logic won't necessarily come into it.

As cheaper electrics become more widely available, "mums car" might go electric , but it will take a long time to replace the Ranger IMO. ( unless they are forced ).

Australian carbuyers have gone from one of these for dad /family tranport
holden-vt-commodore-3g.jpg

and this for mum to drive to work/school/shops.
( in my case my wife had the large SUV, and i had the small commuter, suited us both ).

OIP.Jtq041Re3RNjGgJPcJlBMwHaEb

Fast forward to today and we have :

This for dad.

OIP.b0JOQVv1XMK0PmfdRKcYwgHaDt

And this for mum.

OIP.4GmpDLOJh3UNo3nsZqG5gAHaEK

Why are MG's outselling Toyota Corolla's? Because Toyota's are more expensive. Also they perceive that an "SUV " has more room, even though its probably no more than a jacked up Corolla.

I'd suspect that those buying Tesla's are the ones who used to buy BMW 3 series or Mercedes A Class.
Those who can afford image. In Melbourne most probably don't go as far east as Dandenong, or further West than Flemington. They probably buy cars more often than those in the "wish i could afford a new Toyota this year demographic "

The hard part will be convincing those who absolutely "need" a twin cab ute for their daily drive to work, and the shops , and the pub, to go electric. Logic won't necessarily come into it.

As cheaper electrics become more widely available, "mums car" might go electric , but it will take a long time to replace the Ranger IMO. ( unless they are forced ).

MGs are as junk as Jeeps

If they are a superior product, they will get market share
I'm not going to have a vhs/ betamax argument with you 🤣

But given all the push across the globe by Govts and the tech developments that are following, its inevitable EVs will replace ICE baring some incredible technology development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to have a vhs/ betamax argument with you 🤣

But given all the push across the globe by Govts and the tech developments that are following, its inevitable EVs will replace ICE baring some incredible technology development

Just as well cos vhs beta is a pathetIc equivalence for many reasons

EV's in Australia won't actually fix a lot. Its electricity production that really needs to be sorted out.
absolutely, EVs are about reducing carbon emissions from transport, there are better alternatives, like PT or ebikes but it appears Govts dont have the appetite for that.

I also think improving energy efficiency should be another focus, not just more generation

absolutely, EVs are about reducing carbon emissions from transport, there are better alternatives, like PT or ebikes but it appears Govts dont have the appetite for that.

I also think improving energy efficiency should be another focus, not just more generation

Petroleum powered transport does emit a load of other pollutants too in residential areas though. Including commercial vehicles which work full days not the small amount of time a personal car does

MGs are as junk as Jeeps

People buy them because they are cheap, and they would rather a new car with a long warranty than a second hand car.
( God knows why they bought jeeps ).
EV's aren't cheap ( even the MG's , even though they are much cheaper than a Tesla ), so that demographic probably won't get one soon.
Also some of the people buying at the lower end of the market may not even have a garage where they can connect their own charger.

Maybe they should have a rule that all rentals have to have a car charger, are there generic ones?

People buy them because they are cheap, and they would rather a new car with a long warranty than a second hand car.
EV's aren't cheap ( even the MG's , even though they are much cheaper than a Tesla ), so that demographic probably won't get one soon.
Also some of the people buying at the lower end of the market may not even have a garage where they can connect their own charger.

Maybe they should have a rule that all rentals have to have a car charger, are there generic ones?
That's a really good point.

Going to be problems if each car manufacturer designs is own charger mobile phone style

My step mum has a '66 MGB. In less than 60 years the Brits have gone from being capable of building something beautiful to last like that to being literally incapable of dealing with their own s**t, it's an absolute tragedy.

EV's in Australia won't actually fix a lot. Its electricity production that really needs to be sorted out.
We have more renewables now than we can use … that’s why the spot price where I am was negative most of the morning…

They’ll help fix the grid… make homes black out protected … and bring down the price of electricity.

Some EV Batteries that are about to go into production will have a life expectancy longer than the
car… which means V2H capabilities is going to be a massive part of the EVs and the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back