The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

SA is the last place that needs it.
They are already getting most of their electricity from renewable sources.
Getting rid of the gas will get them to 100% but the cost of nuclear that you won't use 90% of the time is ridiculous.
SA also has a huge abundance of salt which will play a pivotal role in renewable energy storage. It is technology which we have just started scratching the surface of.

If you live 10km or so from where you work, E-Bike commuting is really viable for people who couldn't cope with riding an ordinary bike that far too and from.
This is a point that shouldnt be over looked.

Unfortunately trying to explain to a car focus populace, making it safer for these modes of transport is very difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exciting times … more cheaper energy storage options.

60% efficiency is not great, but i guess its a trade off .
If you have enough renewable energy it can be OK to waste a bit.

This one uses water ( hydraulics ) to compress the air, which might improve efficiency a bit. Using rotary machines to compress air and air motors to harness power is not great. ( i think they are putting on plenty of mayo when they talk about water pumps and turbines in this Video though ). So they pump water into the air tank, and that compresses the air ,which stores the energy.

For example Snowy II is estimated to have 76% maximum efficiency.

60% efficiency is not great, but i guess its a trade off .
If you have enough renewable energy it can be OK to waste a bit.

This one uses water ( hydraulics ) to compress the air, which might improve efficiency a bit. Using rotary machines to compress air and air motors to harness power is not great. ( i think they are putting on plenty of mayo when they talk about water pumps and turbines in this Video though ). So they pump water into the air tank, and that compresses the air ,which stores the energy.

For example Snowy II is estimated to have 76% maximum efficiency.

That's interesting. For comparison, whats the efficiency of coal plants and gas turbines?

That's interesting. For comparison, whats the efficiency of coal plants and gas turbines?

The best gas plants are around 60% but its a different sort of calculation, that's amount of energy compared to a theoretical maximum.

With storage, you already have the electricity, its a matter of keeping it.

So if you make 100KWh, transmitting it to a battery ( unless very close to the generating source ), will probably reduce it to 92Kwh.
Then the compressed air storage will reduce it to 55KWh.
Transmitting that to the users will probably take it down to 50KWh.

Lithium Ion batteries are 80-90% efficient.

If you have an absolute glut of solar/wind, then making the cheaper storage solution at the cost of some of the electricity makes sense.

I guess it comes down to mathematics.
Cost of 100kw of solar panels + enough lithium ion to hold around 1200KWh ( if we're talking overnight storage ).
or the cost of 120Kw of solar panels + enough compressed air storage to hold around 1440 Kwh.

The best gas plants are around 60% but its a different sort of calculation, that's amount of energy compared to a theoretical maximum.

With storage, you already have the electricity, its a matter of keeping it.

So if you make 100KWh, transmitting it to a battery ( unless very close to the generating source ), will probably reduce it to 92Kwh.
Then the compressed air storage will reduce it to 55KWh.
Transmitting that to the users will probably take it down to 50KWh.

Lithium Ion batteries are 80-90% efficient.

If you have an absolute glut of solar/wind, then making the cheaper storage solution at the cost of some of the electricity makes sense.

I guess it comes down to mathematics.
Cost of 100kw of solar panels + enough lithium ion to hold around 1200KWh ( if we're talking overnight storage ).
or the cost of 120Kw of solar panels + enough compressed air storage to hold around 1440 Kwh.

Yep and it’s why renewables are the cheapest form of energy …

The technology is moving so fast….

Exciting times…

Smaller, cheaper, lighter, safe and better range performance !!!!

But but but but base load ….. lol

If I'm interpreting those charts right (and I'm happy to be corrected) isn't it showing that there is MORE demand for power later in the day (at or approaching dusk in WA, even in summer)? Doesn't this require more support from non-renewables/storage?

The "base" might be decreasing during the day, but there appears to be an offsetting load increase once the sun goes down.

If I'm interpreting those charts right (and I'm happy to be corrected) isn't it showing that there is MORE demand for power later in the day (at or approaching dusk in WA, even in summer)? Doesn't this require more support from non-renewables/storage?

The "base" might be decreasing during the day, but there appears to be an offsetting load increase once the sun goes down.

"Solar Duck" is a bit of a silly term.
The base load is still there, its just that high levels of rooftop solar are not measured as part of the grid. So its like there is an invisible supply of electricity still there.

So first thing in the morning, not much solar , there is a bit of demand. As solar kicks in it shows as less demand from the electricity suppliers, then as the sun is going down, especially if its still hot , there is a lot of demand ( aircon/cooking etc ).

So you are correct , they need non-renewable s or storage for that time.
Unless demand gets to zero during the day, you need non-solar electricity.
( In W.A. the Fremantle doctor would be timed pretty right ).

Go to fuel mix. Select South Australia. and view 48 hours. Doesn't really look like a duck , but it shows the demand, and where the electricity is coming from. They've had some good wind the last couple of days.
They are able to turn the gas right down during the day, but not so much at night.

Looking at victoria they still have significant coal "base load " running 24 hours, but they are able to turn it down during the day, when solar is available, and not needing to increase it at night due to good wind generation.

Private rooftop solar does not show on the Aemo graph, ( commercial solar farms do). When you see the demand go down during the day , That's the rooftop solar.

Focus should be on commercial vehicles and e bikes. Car lobby has too much media on its ‘status symbols’

Carting around all the weight is an issue.
A Datsun 1200 in the 1970s weighed 720KG. ( i owned one, no wonder it was so zippy, crashed it and survived ).
A Tata Nano ( cheapest car in the world at the time ) weighed 630Kg.

An MG electric car weighs around 1700Kg.

An E-Bike weighs around 20kg.

Power = ( Mass x Acceleration + Friction ) x distance.

Trouble is that all of those apart from the MG are pretty dangerous in an accident if a high speed vehicle is involved.
If the roads were limited to around 40 or 50km /hour it would probably be safe..ish, but that would make some peoples commute times pretty Looooooong.

Improving the trails for e=bikes is important.

Carting around all the weight is an issue.
A Datsun 1200 in the 1970s weighed 720KG. ( i owned one, no wonder it was so zippy, crashed it and survived ).
A Tata Nano ( cheapest car in the world at the time ) weighed 630Kg.

An MG electric car weighs around 1700Kg.

An E-Bike weighs around 20kg.

Power = ( Mass x Acceleration + Friction ) x distance.

Trouble is that all of those apart from the MG are pretty dangerous in an accident if a high speed vehicle is involved.
If the roads were limited to around 40 or 50km /hour it would probably be safe..ish, but that would make some peoples commute times pretty Looooooong.

Improving the trails for e=bikes is important.

I remember having cars so light I could push start on my own on level ground eg fiat 127

Remove this Banner Ad

Back