Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of support for people who are struggling is really starting to get my goat.
So many people around me are in need of mental health support and there's very little available or affordable. I'm having a lot of difficult conversations at the moment and I would never begrudge it but god I'm unqualified.
This is a huge problem. Overwhelming really. Everyone is swept up in life at a tremendous pace but it's impossible to keep up, even for quite stable people. I might be a GOP but imo a lot of the blame rests heavily on the online world that's been created, setting standards and promoting narratives that confuse people and cause them to doubt their ability to measure up. And that's on top of personal relationships, money and jobs, as well as the far-reaching drug problem.

There will never be enough services to cope with everyone's needs and really, do they help? In some cases, maybe.

There's a thread dealing with mental health and it's encouraging when I hear of people taking charge of their situation and finding their own answers. But I realise there is no one solution that fits all.

The lack of support for people who are struggling is really starting to get my goat.
So many people around me are in need of mental health support and there's very little available or affordable. I'm having a lot of difficult conversations at the moment and I would never begrudge it but god I'm unqualified.
my partner is going through a major mental health episode at the moment, and its something that I can't do anything with but to reassure her and listen to her. the wait to find a professional to help with is staggering at the moment

i feel so helpless that she has so many demons that i can't seem to help with at all

my partner is going through a major mental health episode at the moment, and its something that I can't do anything with but to reassure her and listen to her. the wait to find a professional to help with is staggering at the moment

i feel so helpless that she has so many demons that i can't seem to help with at all
I'm so sorry you're both going through that. It's a tough gig being the support person, too.

Seeing my dad being taken advantage of by a massive gold digger... My dad isn't wealthy by any means, but he worked hard over his career and did well for himself to retire on a nice pension, but he let someone walk into his life 15 years ago and take full advantage of him. Can't really bring it up to him because he will only deny it's happening.

Last edited:
I feel blue.

The part about Hottest 100 that makes me feel old isn't the music, it's the parties, as I sit here alone in the knowledge that most 40 year olds have commitments, and they're not going to give me a whole day to drink and listen to the radio. It's a bummer realising that you'll never "celebrate" the day again... it was maybe the unintended consequence of moving the date of the count? Bit easier for your mates with kids to carve out some time on a public holiday for the top 30-40 than it is on a run of the mill Saturday.

I'm also unwell again for the first time in a little while, I have really uncomfortable stomach gas and can't stop burping, and I'm pretty sure I've sharted myself a haemorrhoid.

All I wanted to do tonight was get sad, alone maggot, but I drink so rarely now I don't even really have anything in the house.

I have really uncomfortable stomach gas and can't stop burping,
You might be getting reflux, which can be controlled. Get some Gaviscon liquid (Woolies). Works in a couple of minutes. Only need a sip, don’t overdo it.

I have reflux, doc gave me meds that control it pretty well but the Gaviscon is a quick fix.

Watched the 12 year old documentary by Louis Theroux on Dementia this evening on the ABC. Brought back painful memories of my late parents in their last years. Seeing my dad trying to figure out how to button his pyjama top the first time of many and my mum forgetting my name when asked to name her five children always come to mind. Hopefully I'll be gone before that happens to me.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the 12 year old documentary by Louis Theroux on Dementia this evening on the ABC. Brought back painful memories of my late parents in their last years. Seeing my dad trying to figure out how to button his pyjama top the first time of many and my mum forgetting my name when asked to name her five children always come to mind. Hopefully I'll be gone before that happens to me.

It’s a horrible disease, my grandmother had it, I’m certain my mum is getting it.

Both my in-laws had it. And different versions. MIL quickly became pretty bad, had to go into care. She always knew us though, when we went to visit her, and was pleased.

FIL lived independently for a few years but odd things occurred. In the end he was in care too, but never settled. He didn't want to be there but at home, he never ate, and lots of other things started to happen. He also rejected all help, even ours.

It was very sad to see this once-happy and adventurous couple (loved caravanning around Australia) reduced to confusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah * dementia.
Actually spend money on understanding it better. So stupid that we don't given the aging population.

I've been speaking with my best mate over the last year about his mother's increased dementia following a stroke. It sounds brutal.

It's funny that people have just been discussing old friendships in another thread - I met my best mate at Sunday school when we were 6yo, re-connected years later for a year at primary school, then became mates through high school, and re-connected after uni.

But I've heard his heart slowly breaking over the last year, he sounds so different. I'd never tell him this, but his mum was always kind of horrible to him. Treated him and his younger brother very differently, was super hard on him, and in a weird way that I'd never really witnessed from another parent before or since, she just never seemed to like him very much despite him working so hard for approval.

Of course her increasing dementia is laying that so much more bare, and he's beginning to learn all about what she thinks of him, but obviously neither of them are currently in a position to understand it in the current context.

It's that thing we were discussing recently though, his family is now in that awful period where he's grieving the mum that he had. She's not dead yet, but the person she was isn't here any more. He'd never say it, he'd never even dream it - but having spoken to my mate at least every week since it happened a year ago, he will be better off when she's gone, it'll be so much easier for him not having to deal with her abuse and just being able to grieve her properly.

It's a whole raft of emotions. Dad was the one who abused me and I didn't understand why Mum kept us there. There was not really anywhere to go for domestic abuse support in the late 70s. Later I dropped the resentment of her after I realised she did her best with 4 kids and no money because Dad drank it all.
She (and us) finally free from him when she was 40 and me 18. She got her licence and drove herself all over Australia. Then when she got dementia at age 65 I had to let go of all that past and care for her. Took her 9 years before it took her in Sept 2022. Her Mum died of dementia in 1994 and we have come nowhere in treating or understanding it because aged mental health care is not a priority. This shits me and makes me sad and if I get dementia I will be offing myself.

It's a whole raft of emotions. Dad was the one who abused me and I didn't understand why Mum kept us there. There was not really anywhere to go for domestic abuse support in the late 70s. Later I dropped the resentment of her after I realised she did her best with 4 kids and no money because Dad drank it all.
She (and us) finally free from him when she was 40 and me 18. She got her licence and drove herself all over Australia. Then when she got dementia at age 65 I had to let go of all that past and care for her. Took her 9 years before it took her in Sept 2022. Her Mum died of dementia in 1994 and we have come nowhere in treating or understanding it because aged mental health care is not a priority. This shits me and makes me sad and if I get dementia I will be offing myself.
There's actually quite a bit of research going into dementia and Alzheimers, also into prevention or at least slowing the progression. They do know how it affects the physical brain but the trouble is there are so many different types of dementia, that manifest in different ways with different people. A lady I know who is in her late sixties has a type of early onset dementia associated with Parkinson's Disease. At this stage it is developing very slowly but she knows there will come a time, hopefully in as far distant future as possible, that she will need care.

There will definitely be increasing need for dementia-trained nursing staff and carers, as more people are living longer. My MIL lived to 86 (6 years with the disease) and FIL almost 90 (at least 5 years).

You were a good person to care for your Mum; it seems to be an increasingly frequent task for middle-aged children, who have just raised their own children, and perhaps babysat their grandchildren, to then have to take care of their elderly parents.

Scenes!

I remember getting 4 weeks home alone when my son was around 8 months, missus took him back to Ireland to see her family etc. I was new into a job so couldn't get time off so i had to stay behind.

Cans, Webering, punting, appetite stimulants, good times. (I missed them terribly obvs)
One of my friends from work is going to be home alone for a week because his wife is taking their son to visit their family. He hasn't planned a single thing! Wasn't even looking forward to it! If that were me I'd be planning an epic bender and making the most of it.

There's actually quite a bit of research going into dementia and Alzheimers, also into prevention or at least slowing the progression. They do know how it affects the physical brain but the trouble is there are so many different types of dementia, that manifest in different ways with different people. A lady I know who is in her late sixties has a type of early onset dementia associated with Parkinson's Disease. At this stage it is developing very slowly but she knows there will come a time, hopefully in as far distant future as possible, that she will need care.

There will definitely be increasing need for dementia-trained nursing staff and carers, as more people are living longer. My MIL lived to 86 (6 years with the disease) and FIL almost 90 (at least 5 years).

You were a good person to care for your Mum; it seems to be an increasingly frequent task for middle-aged children, who have just raised their own children, and perhaps babysat their grandchildren, to then have to take care of their elderly parents.

I guess the nature of the research is longitudinal as well, it's not something you can do overnight while accurately understanding longterm impacts of treatment.

I think it's the care and services that could improve much better, much faster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back