The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does Ascot host way more race day events than Belmont?
Ascot is set up for Summer racing ( so about 8 months of the year with the Perth climate) Very open and outdoorsy with the set up. Belmont is a bit of a concrete jungle with everything inside to protect patrons on the cold windy days of Winter

Ascot is set up for Summer racing ( so about 8 months of the year with the Perth climate) Very open and outdoorsy with the set up. Belmont is a bit of a concrete jungle with everything inside to protect patrons on the cold windy days of Winter

And what’s with the renovations at Belmont? Seems like they’ve been a thing for going on five years now

Even better, tickets were only $129.
I spent $200 for the moshpit though.
Must admit I had no idea they were in Perth, though. Wouldn't have minded paying a couple hundred dollars for what was probably a nice summer evening ambience at Kings Park.

Alas, would also have no one willing to go with me I'd suspect.
I hit gigs quite often so they always pop up in my feeds. Usually got my finger on the pulse.

Most of my friends who like them heard about them through me otherwise I think I’d be in the same boat.

The heads of my enemies.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

The National were fantastic on the weekend. Flew in from Port Hedland arriving in Perth at 7pm and then raced to Kings Park for the gig at 8pm.

I didn’t realise there were so many National fans though. Every time I chat with someone they never know who they are.

And bonus of the night is that you weren't in Port Hedland for a bit...

Quick and the dead. Listings are only lasting about a week on average atm I think.
There were two houses listed near me last week. They are on a busy street and next to a new nursing home. We were like, "who would want to live there?!? We drove past them and both were sold - one was supposed to go to auction but never made it. These are houses priced over $1 million.

Perth recorded just 21.8mm from October 2023 to March 2024. That's the driest October to March period since records began dating back to 1876, the previous driest was October 1994 to March 1995 with 37mm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the water table is certainly nice and low. Seen dried up lakes (man made ones) everywhere. Apparently Bibra Lake (whatever the lake out there is called) is quite dry/low. Seen die back on plenty of council trees around the place.

Perth recorded just 21.8mm from October 2023 to March 2024. That's the driest October to March period since records began dating back to 1876, the previous driest was October 1994 to March 1995 with 37mm.

Not at all surprised by that.

In my 10/11 days there in Feb, not one droplet was on the radar>

So I learnt today that most mail in WA goes to Sydney to get sorted before being sent back for distribution to our letterbox

This is *ing weird - how can we no longer have our own sorting house

We could sure do with some rain here, we are still hovering around the 30 degree mark going into mid April with not a drop of rain in sight.
The temperature isn't the problem. I'm astounded how dry March was this year. Usually there's been a few decent rains by now. I'm sure April in a few years will be the wettest of all time now.

Yeah the water table is certainly nice and low. Seen dried up lakes (man made ones) everywhere. Apparently Bibra Lake (whatever the lake out there is called) is quite dry/low. Seen die back on plenty of council trees around the place.

Bibra Lake was basically dry aside from a small pool of water on the western side about seven weeks ago. It was quite a surprise seeing it like that.

We could sure do with some rain here, we are still hovering around the 30 degree mark going into mid April with not a drop of rain in sight.

It got to 36.5 degrees today. The WAFL game between Subiaco and Peel Thunder was played during the hottest part of the day today.

The temperature isn't the problem. I'm astounded how dry March was this year. Usually there's been a few decent rains by now. I'm sure April in a few years will be the wettest of all time now.

1.6mm of rain fell in March 2024. The average for March is 20mm.

I’m visiting the Margaret river area at the moment and a lot of the native trees look very stressed and dying
I’m sure they have survived worse but it’s concerning.

Wonder if any of the spraying on all the vines would have an effect?
Any substance to this horticulturalists ?

I’m visiting the Margaret river area at the moment and a lot of the native trees look very stressed and dying
I’m sure they have survived worse but it’s concerning.

Wonder if any of the spraying on all the vines would have an effect?
Any substance to this horticulturalists ?
It has just been exceptionally dry even down here, and warm. Normally you notice a difference between Busselton and Margaret River but that hasn't really been the case for the last six weeks.

It has just been exceptionally dry even down here, and warm. Normally you notice a difference between Busselton and Margaret River but that hasn't really been the case for the last six weeks.
I think another thing that might be killing the natives on the side of the road is the weed spray they use to control the gutters

They’ve been doing this lately and I’m starting to notice the effects

This is what I don't get about the Starbucks push - surely Dome, Coffee Club and Gloria Jeans have the mediocre coffee itch collectively scratched between them?
Thanks to Instagram, TikTok etc, international brands are making even more headway in terms of recognition than they did previously. It's why people will line up for mediocre Mexican (hey, I've heard of Taco Bell, seen 'em online, must be great). There's a bit of cultural cringe in that as well,it must be good cause it's big in America.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back