Resource The list your Ken Hinkley Era Stats Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At the conclusion of 2023 the following was our record at Adelaide Oval: (Not including the 2011 game against Melb)

We have not lost to a bottom 4 side at Adelaide Oval in the Ken era.

For Bottom 10 clashes at home:
  • In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures. The 2 losses were Showdowns.
  • In Night games the figures drop to 70% - 19W, 8L.

Now step into the top 8 games:
  • In Night games we are 33%, An alarming 27% against 5-8 sides and surprisingly 39% against top 4, but also 33% in finals. So basically any home night game against quality opposition, or final, and we are at best a 1:3 chance.
  • Twilight makes a slight difference going 42% against top 8, with the top 4, 36%, and 5-8, 50%. Overall we go at 69% in twilight.
  • Day games are where we are at our best though. We are 100% against top 4, overall 50% against top 8, and we have gone 85% overall.

Realistically with a coach that has won 60% of his games, you'd expect that at our home ground surely that record is surely better than that, and it is overall at 62%. However, when you consider those night results of 50% overall, and when you consider that basically the majority of our wins come only from being consistently able to beat s**t teams. It's a pretty poor home record.

WL
Day Games
17​
3​
85.0%​
Finals
1​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 4
2​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 8
3​
3​
50.0%​
Vs 5-8
1​
3​
25.0%​
Vs Bottom 10
14​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Bottom 4
9​
0​
100.0%​
WL
Twilight Games
29​
13​
69%​
Finals
0​
0​
N/A
Vs Top 4
4​
7​
36%​
Vs Top 8
8​
11​
42%​
Vs 5-8
4​
4​
50%​
Vs Bottom 10
21​
2​
91%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​
WL
Night Games
30​
30​
50%​
Finals
2​
4​
33%​
Vs Top 4
7​
11​
39%​
Vs Top 8
11​
22​
33%​
Vs 5-8
4​
11​
27%​
Vs Bottom 10
19​
8​
70%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​

Last edited:
I'm taking credit for being the first one to point out our atrocious record under lights at AO. These stats show that it's not just playing better teams in marquee games that is responsible, it's a genuine thing where our performance is comparitively worse. Great analysis Cookbook.

I'm taking credit for being the first one to point out our atrocious record under lights at AO. These stats show that it's not just playing better teams in marquee games that is responsible, it's a genuine thing where our performance is comparitively worse. Great analysis Cookbook.
It is quite amazing how we progressively get worse from day to night.

If I get bored maybe I'll break it down by day and particular slots. ie. 12.40, 1:40, 3:20, 4:10, etc.

At the conclusion of 2023 the following was our record at Adelaide Oval: (Not including the 2011 game against Melb)

• In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures.

• In Night games we are 33%, An alarming 27% against 5-8 sides and surprisingly 39% against top 4, but also 33% in finals. So basically any home night game against quality opposition, or final, and we are at best a 1:3 chance.
  • Twilight makes a slight difference going 42% against top 8, with the top 4, 36%, and 5-8, 50%. Overall we go at 69% in twilight.
  • Day games are where we are at our best though. We are 100% against top 4, overall 50% against top 8, and we have gone 85% overall.

Realistically with a coach that has won 60% of his games, you'd expect that at our home ground surely that record is surely better than that, and it is overall at 62%. However, when you consider those night results of 50% overall, and when you consider that basically the majority of our wins come only from being consistently able to beat s**t teams. It's a pretty poor home record.

WL
Day Games
17​
3​
85.0%​
Finals
1​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 4
2​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 8
3​
3​
50.0%​
Vs 5-8
1​
3​
25.0%​
Vs Bottom 10
14​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Bottom 4
9​
0​
100.0%​
WL
Twilight Games
29​
13​
69%​
Finals
0​
0​
N/A
Vs Top 4
4​
7​
36%​
Vs Top 8
8​
11​
42%​
Vs 5-8
4​
4​
50%​
Vs Bottom 10
21​
2​
91%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​
WL
Night Games
30​
30​
50%​
Finals
2​
4​
33%​
Vs Top 4
7​
11​
39%​
Vs Top 8
11​
22​
33%​
Vs 5-8
4​
11​
27%​
Vs Bottom 10
19​
8​
70%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​

“But did you know he’s got a superior career win% to Clarkson, Dimma and Choco?!”

🤪

Our full forward is blind during night games.

• In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures.

WL
Day Games
17​
3​
85.0%​
Finals
1​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 4
2​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 8
3​
3​
50.0%​
Vs 5-8
1​
3​
25.0%​
Vs Bottom 10
14​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Bottom 4
9​
0​
100.0%​
WL
Twilight Games
29​
13​
69%​
Finals
0​
0​
N/A
Vs Top 4
4​
7​
36%​
Vs Top 8
8​
11​
42%​
Vs 5-8
4​
4​
50%​
Vs Bottom 10
21​
2​
91%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​
WL
Night Games
30​
30​
50%​
Finals
2​
4​
33%​
Vs Top 4
7​
11​
39%​
Vs Top 8
11​
22​
33%​
Vs 5-8
4​
11​
27%​
Vs Bottom 10
19​
8​
70%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​
Just took this stat a bit further:

In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures.

The only 2 we've lost were Crows in Away Showdowns.

So excluding Adelaide, we simply don't lose to bottom 10 sides at home, in day or twilight games. You can set your watch to it.

Just took this stat a bit further:

In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures.

The only 2 we've lost were Crows in Away Showdowns.

So excluding Adelaide, we simply don't lose to bottom 10 sides at home, in day or twilight games. You can set your watch to it.

From memory, the closest we came was that awful showing against To-The-Rescue Roos’ Dees in Dom’s last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our night time record at AO is atrocious, especially when compared to the day record at the same venue. Make me wonder why they always seem to train in the day time? Do they ever actually train at night and how often do they train at AO. With the new lights at Alberton oval, there should be no excuses about training at night. And they should be training at AO under lights too in preparation for night games there, especially finals. I don't really understand why they don't.

our night time record at AO is atrocious, especially when compared to the day record at the same venue. Make me wonder why they always seem to train in the day time? Do they ever actually train at night and how often do they train at AO. With the new lights at Alberton oval, there should be no excuses about training at night. And they should be training at AO under lights too in preparation for night games there, especially finals. I don't really understand why they don't.
How can you achieve work life balance if you're having to play football after 5pm? This is a community club and that's the time for players to have dinner with their families.

How can you achieve work life balance if you're having to play football after 5pm? This is a community club and that's the time for players to have dinner with their families.
if that is even remotely true that is pathetic.

all of us that have played amateur-bush league footy have all had to train under shitty lights on cold winter's nights after working our day jobs and then not getting home until late (some of that to do with the post training beers mind you). I'm sure the AFL boys can skip the odd morning or afternoon session so they can train at night instead.

Can't be done. Kochie has crunched the numbers and worked out the amount of electricity to run the lights would just tip us over the edge from carbon neutral into carbon positive

Last edited:
It was a joke lol

Our nighttime record is insanely bad. It's actually amazing that we have such a clear and linear trend in performance between night and day games.

I’m sure we’ve all seen the toxic positivity types on Twitter who routinely mock and attack realists for their ‘negativity’, when there’s a decade of data staring them in the face that they either refuse to acknowledge or just don’t believe.

Pure ‘subjective reality’.

There was nothing more certain than losing that final to GWS — would’ve been more of a chance at Marvel or the SCG.

Could the nighttime games correlate with FTA coverage and then umpiring performance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back