The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

lol

Climate-warrior and Greens leader Adam Bandt has been slugging taxpayers just short of a million dollars in expenses in a single year, including spending $204,000 on printing costs.
Also on his eyebrow-raising expenses were $23,000 on two private jet flights and another $12,000 on a government-provided vehicle and petrol allowance.

His annual expense bill for 2022 was an eye-watering $963,166, not including his $314,000 salary and the wages of his personal staff, according to the Department of Finance.

Mr Bandt, whose party runs on a platform of climate change prevention, forked out $23,000 on two private jets during the 2022 election campaign.

On March 7, Mr Bandt booked a chartered flight from Townsville to Rockhampton during a tour of regional Queensland where he announced details of his plan to aggressively transition away from coal, costing taxpayers another $8,300.

Printing costs being $200k and air transport being $20k during 2022 isn't an issue.

And a leftist party printing out things and flying especially in an election year? Reminds me of this yet again.

1710195293064.png

But its not self funded if you need to give them tax incentives or subsidies.
So you'd rather every Australian draw a pension? How affordable would that be with the ageing population increasing?

And just to be clear, are you also against claiming tax deductions on legitimate expenses associated with investment properties?

So you'd rather every Australian draw a pension? How affordable would that be with the ageing population increasing?

And just to be clear, are you also against claiming tax deductions on legitimate expenses associated with investment properties?
There are other ways to build wealth than investing in basic necessities such as housing and utilities. Property assets are only 15% of the total superannuation pool in Australia.

There are other ways to build wealth than investing in basic necessities such as housing and utilities. Property assets are only 15% of the total superannuation pool in Australia.
Yes, but there are plenty of Australians whose super is not going to sustain them because the system came into being too late. They are the type of people who decided to buy an investment property to supplement the super.

Last edited:
Does the article give any context with how that compares with other members of Parliament?
Despite the hefty bill, Mr Bandt ranked below several Labor ministers including Tony Burke and Tanya Plibersek, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton and the Prime Minister for 2022 expenses.

Yes, but there are plenty of Australians whose super is not going to sustain them because the system came into being too late. They are the type of people who decided to buy an investment property to supplement the super
And those people are free and able to put their money into equities or commercial property to supplement their super, just like their superannuation funds do. Buying and holding suburban houses is just not a sustainable way for everyone to set themselves up for life because whatever money you save by a few people claiming no pension or a part pension gets offset by more people claiming rent assistance, not just pensioners but students too.

And those people are free and able to put their money into equities or commercial property to supplement their super, just like their superannuation funds do. Buying and holding suburban houses is just not a sustainable way for everyone to set themselves up for life because whatever money you save by a few people claiming no pension or a part pension gets offset by more people claiming rent assistance, not just pensioners but students too.
Are you saying ban private investment in residential properties?

2.4 million Australians own an investment property. That's not a few people.

Why aren't you focusing on the decline in government spending on public housing? Or the unfettered migration intakes? It's all very well to let 737,000 migrants come into Australia last year (up on 427,000) from the previous year) to prevent the country going into a full blown recession, but don't then blame investors for the housing woes created by these factors.

Why aren't you focusing on the decline in government spending on public housing? Or the unfettered migration intakes? It's all very well to let 737,000 migrants come into Australia last year (up on 427,000) from the previous year) to prevent the country going into a full blown recession, but don't then blame investors for the housing woes created by these factors.
what was the net migration last year Sttew

Dude, can you try not doing this for a change? The SO YOU'RE ACTUALLY SAYING strawman fallacy is really tedious and well beneath this forum.
It's 10% of the population so, yeah it kinda is.
I dunno, I guess it's because I saw a post that was talking about private investment in the residential sector so like any normal person would I addressed the topic at hand. Either way it's a moot point because people who buy existing properties and then rent them out for investment are not adding to the housing stock, they're just taking an existing asset and charging a premium for it. It's not sustainable and it provides no benefit other than to the person renting it out. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say it should be banned but it's sure not worth a tax break.

518,000 compared with 171,00 the year before
incorrect

it was 203k in the previous year not 171k

100k of inbound migration was returning Australian citizens and also New Zealanders under our agreement with them

the majority of those coming in were temp visa holders

eg students and people on vacation

282k students the majority of which are full fee paying uni students

there were also 60k coming on working holidays and 100k visitors

lol

Climate-warrior and Greens leader Adam Bandt has been slugging taxpayers just short of a million dollars in expenses in a single year, including spending $204,000 on printing costs.
Also on his eyebrow-raising expenses were $23,000 on two private jet flights and another $12,000 on a government-provided vehicle and petrol allowance.

His annual expense bill for 2022 was an eye-watering $963,166, not including his $314,000 salary and the wages of his personal staff, according to the Department of Finance.

Mr Bandt, whose party runs on a platform of climate change prevention, forked out $23,000 on two private jets during the 2022 election campaign.

On March 7, Mr Bandt booked a chartered flight from Townsville to Rockhampton during a tour of regional Queensland where he announced details of his plan to aggressively transition away from coal, costing taxpayers another $8,300.

Is this:
Low?
Average?
High?
Unheard of?
How does it compare with others in his position?

Is this:
Breaking any rules?
Going against stated policies?

What did Adam Bandt say about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

incorrect

it was 203k in the previous year not 171k

100k of inbound migration was returning Australian citizens and also New Zealanders under our agreement with them

the majority of those coming in were temp visa holders

eg students and people on vacation

282k students the majority of which are full fee paying uni students

there were also 60k coming on working holidays and 100k visitors
Whether it was 171,000 or 203,000 is really neither here no there. It's still 315K more people, or a 155% increase at a minimum.

Whether it was 171,000 or 203,000 is really neither here no there. It's still 315K more people, or a 155% increase at a minimum.
the majority of which are temp visa holders, the majority of which are fee paying students

the increase in those numbers being the sector still recovering from covid

pre covid there were 100k plus higher ed students migrating per year, this year its 186k

the constant targeting of migration as the problem, and not say private investors creating scarcity and governments not investing in public housing is just an argument for xenophobic status quo

My bad. Gralin asked what the net figure was for 2022/2023 and I gave him that.
yes and got it wrong and still wanted to say it was too high and ignored everything else about what makes up the number

because you don't want people talking about removing your ability to be a landlord so you want to do the look over there thing

yes and got it wrong and still wanted to say it was too high and ignored everything else about what makes up the number

because you don't want people talking about removing your ability to be a landlord so you want to do the look over there thing
WOW!! Not sure why I bother engaging with someone like you.

So I apologise for quoting a false headline in the ABS data report:

Net overseas migration recovers to 171,000 in 2021-22​

You asked for the net figure. I gave it to you.

By the way, what's the significance of, "282k students the majority of which are full fee paying uni students"? As you know and are quick to remind posters, I co-own an investment property with the bank, and overseas students have ALWAYS been the staple tenant. There are plenty of apartment complexes in Melbourne catering specifically for overseas students. Check out the SCAPE website. It provides housing for 1000's of students.

By the way, what's the significance of, "282k students the majority of which are full fee paying uni students"? As you know and are quick to remind posters, I co-own an investment property with the bank, and overseas students have ALWAYS been the staple tenant. There are plenty of apartment complexes in Melbourne catering specifically for overseas students. Check out the SCAPE website. It provides housing for 1000's of students.
my point is that people that complain about our immigration numbers consistently ignore the reasons for them and just want a scape goat for the current housing issue that isn't landlords and related government policy

there are more houses being rented than there are landlords
home ownership is going down among owner occupiers
but home ownership is going up among the investors

when 10% of the population own 40% of the housing there is a problem that isn't about immigration levels

Immigration is only part of the problem (airbnb, investment properties etc arguably being larger) but is the easiest to turn off especially when you consider the full scale with up to 50% of temporary visa holders becoming permanent. Hopefully the government will continue its crackdown on fake students and ensure that student visas are not extended once the study is complete unless the student has acquired a skill we are critically short of when they complete their studies.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

lol

I love how they try to make the fact Adam Bandt draws a salary and employs personal staff who also draw a salary somehow sound dodgy.

I love how they try to make the fact Adam Bandt draws a salary and employs personal staff who also draw a salary somehow sound dodgy.
the whole idea of passive voice is something they threw out the window years ago isn't it

"Adam 'Worse Than Bin Laden' Bandt consumes meat and has a car with an internal combustion engine, hypocrite much?!?!"

Peter Dutton on a whirlwind trip to the west to wish happy birthday to Gina gets ignored, but Albo taking a couple of spots in an 80,000 seat stadium gets criticised. And the traditional media wonder why less and less young people bother nowadays.

lol

He is a pollie, is this surprising or any worse than others. The only part that doesn't maybe line up with the Greens policies is the use of the private jet twice (versus how many for the pollies in other parties?)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back