The Gambler

Remove this Banner Ad

As suggested in the general afl discussion thread I have made a thread about afl betting odds for the average punter on the bigfooty blues board.

Feel free to discuss odd for afl games or any little bets you may out on over a weekend.

This way we keep gambling talk out if the general discussion thread where some people may not want to see it.
On a side note, if my post hadn't been moved here, I wouldn't have known this thread existed. Seems I'm perfect for this thread, as I'm a very average punter.

On a side note, if my post hadn't been moved here, I wouldn't have known this thread existed. Seems I'm perfect for this thread, as I'm a very average punter.
This thread rustled a few feathers and unfairly was moved away from public's eye... even though Adelaide have a similar thread now on their board.
The result is this thread doesnt seem to get the attention it would have.

some people seem to have issues seeing anything about gambling at all regardless of responsible adults taking part with their own free will

This thread rustled a few feathers and unfairly was moved away from public's eye... even though Adelaide have a similar thread now on their board.

some people seem to have issues seeing anything about gambling at all regardless of responsible adults taking part with their own free will
I understand the want/need to keep betting convos out of general footy threads, but no need to bury a specific thread. It will rise and fall on its own merits.

I certainly could have added plenty more to this thread but I don't think anyone should be following my multi's...

I don't see how happydude.

Our main board is for Carlton related topics.

Gambling discussion belongs in the Blue Room.

I don't see how happydude.

Our main board is for Carlton related topics.

Gambling discussion belongs in the Blue Room.
Non Carlton related thread begs to differ :p

That's unfortunate because that's not always the way you'll get through to others.

One thing I can say is that if my kid asked me whether she should start betting, I'd tell her that it's not a good idea and give her all the reasons why.
What people like me and obviously a few others that are even more vocal about the topic try to get across, is that when you weigh up all the pros and cons of betting, the cons will take over by some way........but yes......As it stands, of course it is ones right to do as they please and that should always be the case, but sending out warnings shouldn't be dismissed in favour of all the 'sexy', 'cool' and 'fun' advertising aspect of gambling, which is as insincere, insidious and downright disgusting as the marketing of gambling can get.......and it's hard not to disagree with the late Bill Hicks on his view of this type marketing......

I am a big bill hicks fan myself.
I'm all for weighing up pros and cons but Im also a big fan of personal freedoms. If it brings no harm to others whats the problem? If we bubble wrap everything that a few people have issues with there's nothing left.
Its easy to find negative aspects of nearly everything in life and if you yourself weigh up pros and cons of doing something and decide not to do it then thats fair enough just as the person who weighs up pros and cons but decides to do it anyway.
too much walking on eggshells these days

Deal with it. :p
It belongs in here THE BLUE ROOM!

Non Carlton thread is GENERAL AFL DISCUSSION.
you didnt say afl in your earlier post, you said carlton.

A generic betting thread (what this turned into) deserves to be in the blueroom but it all started because discussion of odds for our weekly games (carlton and afl related) was shouted out of preview threads. there in lies my issues with the whole thing. some people feel other need to live the way they do and cry foul with differing views (ironically like i am now) and people these days have less ability to just leave things and people be.

you didnt say afl in your earlier post, you said carlton.

A generic betting thread (what this turned into) deserves to be in the blueroom but it all started because discussion of odds for our weekly games (carlton and afl related) was shouted out of preview threads. there in lies my issues with the whole thing. some people feel other need to live the way they do and cry foul with differing views (ironically like i am now) and people these days have less ability to just leave things and people be.

Yes my bad forgot to mention the Gen Afl thread.

Thread was moved in 2014 to the Blue Room.

Why is it an issue now all of a sudden.

Yes my bad forgot to mention the Gen Afl thread.

Thread was moved in 2014 to the Blue Room.

Why is it an issue now all of a sudden.
I was just going over what happened back then explaining to cripps 'n' blue bloods about the thread. I'm not trying to get it reviewed or anything just sharing history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, there is too much walking on egg-shells as we're still feeling our way through life and for all we think we know, we really know little.
Even at the rate we're traveling it may take another couple of hundred years before we grow up.........if we're allowed to.

Re. Gambling? I have no idea which path may be the right path for us to take.
Can't take away civil liberties and we can't save people from themselves in most cases. There is no right balance at the moment.

Most of us would have some ideas here and there on what we think should be done, but the enforcement may just be too hard and would only impinge on those civil liberties raised earlier.

It's really the advertising that gets to me as they pretend they care.
Almost makes you feel that you have a friend on your side when "Gamble Responsibly" is announced with such empathy. :)
I dislike those ads a little.........maybe a lot.
Fair enough about that bit at the end.
Thats another government regulation that they have to ad, a bit pointless, and as you mentioned, insincere. That's not surprising though, its in their business model to make people gamble more obviously.

Well played AFL, you sneaky buggers. Sounds fairly easy on paper - 5 correct tips out of 9 each week.
Oh, wait, it only starts in round 11 when the bye rounds start. That means you have to tip 5/6, 5/7 and 5/6 for the next 3 weeks. Most will be eliminated by the time it gets back to 9 games per round.

View attachment 376688
And here it is, the AFL Tipping site's side game in its first week. 93% of the field knocked out in week one.
tips2.PNG

I have a conundrum, which I would welcome some opinions. As you can see, I have placed a 4 leg multi, culminating with our game today. $50 to win $604.63, current cash out of $451.07 = GWS to win

Would you:

1. Let it ride - Result $604.63 or $50 back in bonus bets
  2. Cash out now - Result $451.07
  3. Hedge with other bets - Draw odds $81 @ $5 and Us to win between 1-19 odds $11 @ $45
With all the upsets this week, some of which I have picked, we could continue the trend

upload_2017-6-11_11-32-54.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies in advance to the mods, if this is in the wrong thread:

I have a conundrum, which I would welcome some opinions. As you can see, I have placed a 4 leg multi, culminating with our game today. $50 to win $604.63, current cash out of $451.07 = GWS to win

Would you:

3. Hedge with other bets - Draw odds $81 @ $5 and Us to win between 1-19 odds $11 @ $45
With all the upsets this week, some of which I have picked, we could continue the trend

View attachment 380388
Only way to win is not bet in the first place.

Seeing you have bet against us, cash out now so you can enjoy the win.

Apologies in advance to the mods, if this is in the wrong thread:

Would you:

View attachment 380388
If you're seriously considering cashing out, take the $150 difference and bet it on us. We'd have to be 4 bucks or so, meaning you collect 600 either way. I'd probably leave it as is though, or at most chuck a 50 on us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back