Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

honestly what’s goodwins pass mark for this year ? Finally win a final at the mcg ?
Same terrible game style as last year.
He will kill our window, we need a decent forward coach not a ex ruckman. The forward line is way too crowded and we continually bomb it in. Everyone sees it except bags goodwin.
Honestly, with the group we have, pass mark is a PF.

I agree but realistically if we don't change the way we play he should be sacked if we don't make a prelim atleast
It all feels like such a waste of time, not going to win a flag playing like this so what is the point, every finals appearance is just another delay in moving on like we should.

Goody saying "it's going to take some time" in regards to our ball movement and connection in his presser. How long is a piece of string? Whats that? nearly 2.5 years in trying to fix the same problem? It still looks exactly the same as it did 2.5 years ago. Just incredible. Makes me believe he doesn't actually see it as a problem, just lip service for the media.
This really annoys me. Taking time to fix our ball movement means we are in jeopardy of losing games in the season proper. Taking time to fix our ball movement is match sim at training. It’s not even the ball movement. It’s basic skill errors, predictable set ups, poor goal kicking and a dysfunctional forward line. You can argue ball movement is part of kicking but the issues at hand are forward of centre. Per usual.

The big question is whether the club has the clout to sack him, which is financially problematic given he is signed to what, 2026? It’s threatening to be another Luke Beverage scenario post 2016; a whole lot of hot air after a flag.

We have a problematic run. WB, Hawthorn, Port, Brisbane. No idea what the WB are like. Hawthorn have improved and will probably give us a run. Based on our first game I’d say we are not much of a chance against Port or Brisbane.

The group we HAD. Our time was the last 3 years. We don't seem to have the depth now to cover any cracks. No one is stepping up from underneath Gawn, Trac, Oliver, May and Viney unfortunately. I still think Riv, Petty, Koz and Sparrow hold the key. these 4 have to be pushing for AA squad for us to go again this season. JVR and McVee/Bowey to improve again sure, but it's the Rivers, Petty, Kozzy and Sparrow group that simply MUST step up and start winning matches. Petty and Koz hve shon they can do it at times, Riv has gradually improved, and Sparrow probably has had too much of a defensive role to be a matchwinner. But this group need to start taking some of the load. Same with Lever. The bloke has been all over the shop since the flag. Wasn't he touted as our next captain?

Last edited:
It all feels like such a waste of time, not going to win a flag playing like this so what is the point, every finals appearance is just another delay in moving on like we should.
Yup I already have almost no enthusiasm for the AFL season left. Never felt this before even we were s**t. We might beat the dogs next week but I know I won't enjoy it

The group we HAD. Our time was the last 3 years. We don't seem to have the depth now to cover any cracks. No one is stepping up from underneath Gawn, Trac, Oliver, May and Viney unfortunately. I still think Riv, , Petty, Koz and Sparrow hold the key. these 3 have to be pushing for AA squad for us to go again this season. JVR and McVee/Bowey to improve again sure, but it's the Rivers, Petty, Kozzy and Sparrow group that simply MUST step up and start winning matches. Petty and Koz hve shon they can do it at times, Riv has gradually improved, and Sparrow probably has had too much of a defensive role to be a matchwinner. But this group need to start taking some of the load. Same with Lever. The bloke has been all over the shop since the flag. Wasn't he touted as our next captain?
I genuinely thought Lever could be captain. He hasn’t started well and has been making some big errors the last 12 months. I agree re that group. We’ve kind of maxed it he development of Gawn, May, Petracca, Viney, Oliver. They are what they are. A known quantity. We need improvement from;

Lever
Rivers
Pickett
JVR
McVee
Bowey
Sparrow
Petty

If those guys improve 20% + this year then it’ll lift the core elite group. It’s hard to see though, as I don’t think we’ve got the coaching chops to develop them.

I genuinely thought Lever could be captain. He hasn’t started well and has been making some big errors the last 12 months. I agree re that group. We’ve kind of maxed it he development of Gawn, May, Petracca, Viney, Oliver. They are what they are. A known quantity. We need improvement from;

Lever
Rivers
Pickett
JVR
McVee
Bowey
Sparrow
Petty

If those guys improve 20% + this year then it’ll lift the core elite group. It’s hard to see though, as I don’t think we’ve got the coaching chops to develop them.
I have faith in Koz and Bowey. The rest not sure on as yet. Petty will most likely be in Adelaide. Lever we know can play AA level but can he get there again? McVee I want to see in the midfield. Same with Riv. Our coach could be the worst thing for these blokes. JVR another one. With our gamestyle, the poor guy won't stand a chance.

This really annoys me. Taking time to fix our ball movement means we are in jeopardy of losing games in the season proper. Taking time to fix our ball movement is match sim at training. It’s not even the ball movement. It’s basic skill errors, predictable set ups, poor goal kicking and a dysfunctional forward line. You can argue ball movement is part of kicking but the issues at hand are forward of centre. Per usual.

The big question is whether the club has the clout to sack him, which is financially problematic given he is signed to what, 2026? It’s threatening to be another Luke Beverage scenario post 2016; a whole lot of hot air after a flag.

We have a problematic run. WB, Hawthorn, Port, Brisbane. No idea what the WB are like. Hawthorn have improved and will probably give us a run. Based on our first game I’d say we are not much of a chance against Port or Brisbane.
The change should have started last year and then all our players would be on the same page by now. The game has moved on from our style in 2021 and we're playing catch up but it would be even more foolish to fight against the tide. If we can keep the ledger squared by midseason who knows.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

The change should have started last year and then all our players would be on the same page by now. The game has moved on from our style in 2021 and we're playing catch up but it would be even more foolish to fight against the tide. If we can keep the ledger squared by midseason who knows.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
Hmmm. With the development of the rest of the competition though we are a huge risk of being left behind. It seems so strange to say but Jake Melksham was probably our most important forward last year in the limited time he played.

So, I look at a guy like Fritsch who would be our most consistently productive forward since Neitz and Robbo. Give him some space on the fat side and he can burn an opponent on the lead. Have him one out and he’s half a chance of kicking a snag. The sort of player that we should build our forward line and forward play around. But, nah let’s kick it to the pocket or to a million static players standing in the hot spot every time. Top coaching.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it how people talk about players improving however outside of Viney and maybe JVR we have had * all improvement to anyone across all lines since 2021

Even Petracca peaked a few years ago and stagnated when he came into his prime.

Everyone else is the same or gone backwards.

The fact what we gift games to blokes like Spargo, Sparrow, Chandler, Lever, Langdon, Laurie ect when they struggle week in week out is why we are so s**t. If they ain’t improving flog them back to the VFL.0

Is anyone willing to plant a kilo of Coke in Goody's locker with a note saying 'Holding for Greg Stafford'?

Feels like coach still being treated with kid gloves at press conferences . Why not ask him why our forward line looks like a pile of s**t ?
Because AFL media are literally the worst sporting journo's of any sport. They'd rather creep around and sniff out negative stories, pile on when blokes are down or bottom feed out of bins than ask a coach or player a tough or interesting question.

Feels like coach still being treated with kid gloves at press conferences . Why not ask him why our forward line looks like a pile of s**t ?
Because the Aussie media are a bunch of soft utensils. They'd rather fill the back pages with bad words clarko and concussion stories than actually say something negative about a performance

Meh , the team still reflects the coach , dull , boring, predictable and seemingly lacking in any innovative progress. Team selection is a mystery and it seems based on who are coaches mates . So far this weekend, we look like the only team that thinks clogging up the forward half is the way to go . Mind boggling.

a team with Laurie, Schache, Chandler, Langdon, Tomlinson, Spargo getting regular games would be doing very well to make a prelim. Its over and it could get very ugly in the next few seasons because Goodwin is still living in 21'. He's been absolutley horrendous since the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back