BlueBen

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
It is 10 years today since our famous 5-4 win over Alavés in the 2001 UEFA Cup Final.

Not sure how many on here are old enough to remember it?

An amazing match in which we were clearly the better side but Alavés showed terrific spirit to keep coming back and make it an extraordinary final. They made it 4-4 with virtually the last kick of normal time to send it to extra time in which we eventually won with the golden goal being an own goal.

Unfortunately, the match probably gets overlooked a bit because it was the UEFA Cup and not the Champions League.

Some highlights for those who haven't seen it or want to reminisce:

[youtube]jSWrN65VvBY[/youtube]

Re: The BigFooty Liverpool Army - Part 21

Nice to watch some highlights of that final, 10 years does go fast doesn't it.

Certainly does! I remember thinking for most of the game we were cruising and then Alavés would always hit back out of nothing. Their star striker at the time, Javi Moreno (anyone remember him?) scored twice in three minutes to make it 3-3 early in the second half and then was inexplicably taken off not long after.

It was a bit of a surreal game but a truly memorable one and again, had it happened in the Champions League, and not the UEFA Cup, it would surely be more widely hailed as one of the great European finals.

It's also a shame that Alavés have since fallen on hard times, now playing their football in the third division.

Away kit looks the goods. Wouldn't mind red instead of silver though.

999x.jpg

Hopefully when we wear it this weekend it gets us a win and 5th spot !

Seems we are being linked with Hazard and aguero now. That would be nice im all for hazard but i think we need to address other areas first, we need a striker that knows where the goals are off the bench. Obviously left sided players important too, but its good to see the quality of the names we are being linked with compared to this time last year

Seems we are being linked with Hazard and aguero now. That would be nice im all for hazard but i think we need to address other areas first, we need a striker that knows where the goals are off the bench. Obviously left sided players important too, but its good to see the quality of the names we are being linked with compared to this time last year

Aguero one is rubbish imo, no way he goes to a non CL club. Also apparently the asking price is 45 million and no way us or likely anyone pays that for him. We could of had him for 15 a while back. Apparently it was reported that he was a Liverpool fan but that has since been proven incorrect.

and likewise Hazard. Why would he go to a non-CL Club when Lille just won Ligue 1?

The player you should be going after is Jerome Thomas. You might take it as an insult but he's been fantastic this year. Proven in the EPL, has a lot of class about him and knows where the goals are. Wouldn't cost too much either.

and likewise Hazard. Why would he go to a non-CL Club when Lille just won Ligue 1?

The player you should be going after is Jerome Thomas. You might take it as an insult but he's been fantastic this year. Proven in the EPL, has a lot of class about him and knows where the goals are. Wouldn't cost too much either.

probably because whilst CL is important the chance to go from Lille to Liverpool and France to England isn't one that is turned down very often.

probably because whilst CL is important the chance to go from Lille to Liverpool and France to England isn't one that is turned down very often.

Yeah, you're right, he needs a change of scenery.

Leave here:
France+Beach+Pic.jpg

to go here:
1.1262811375.frozen-pond-london-is-cold.jpg

and who needs CL football when you can wear the great red shirt!!1 :eek:

Adding to that, Arsenal and Real are interested in him anyway. You'd think they'd be better alternatives.

Plenty of people leave CL clubs to go to non CL clubs in England, Spain or Italy. I know you like to think that no one would choose Liverpool over a club higher than it on the table or on top of tables in a lesser league but it does happen. Over CL teams in the main leagues? probably not but you're kidding yourself to think someone would stay at clubs like Rangers/Celtic/Porto/Lille etc. just for the few CL games they play and likely won't progress out of the group stages. The fact is yourselves and us would be better than a lot of teams that will fill up the CL next season. I know with your recent taste you think it's the most important thing in the world but the fact is players would prefer to be playing in a top league, where, when the teams do make the CL, they are a chance to win it all... not just maybe get lucky to be grouped with a big team for a bit of media exposure.

I also noticed people saying Young would choose United over Liverpool if he had the choice because they would be playing CL. Don't underestimate a players desire to actually play over being a bench player in a more successful side. My point being, for the great players who could pick their team... then yes Spurs or Liverpool are unlikely to be picked but CL alone won't trump a better league, more playing time and possibly a higher salary. As much as you hate us GB, plenty of players pick us just to wear that red shirt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of people leave CL clubs to go to non CL clubs in England, Spain or Italy. I know you like to think that no one would choose Liverpool over a club higher than it on the table or on top of tables in a lesser league but it does happen. Over CL teams in the main leagues? probably not but you're kidding yourself to think someone would stay at clubs like Rangers/Celtic/Porto/Lille etc. just for the few CL games they play and likely won't progress out of the group stages. The fact is yourselves and us would be better than a lot of teams that will fill up the CL next season. I know with your recent taste you think it's the most important thing in the world but the fact is players would prefer to be playing in a top league, where, when the teams do make the CL, they are a chance to win it all... not just maybe get lucky to be grouped with a big team for a bit of media exposure.

I also noticed people saying Young would choose United over Liverpool if he had the choice because they would be playing CL. Don't underestimate a players desire to actually play over being a bench player in a more successful side. My point being, for the great players who could pick their team... then yes Spurs or Liverpool are unlikely to be picked but CL alone won't trump a better league, more playing time and possibly a higher salary. As much as you hate us GB, plenty of players pick us just to wear that red shirt.

At the current point in his career, whether you like it or not, he would be much better off staying in France as opposed to moving to England. Next year, he will be playing Champions League football and adding to that, the reassurance he'll be in a league he's familiar with rather than the EPL, which probably won't suit him very well (especially the type of football Liverpool play, which is different to Lille's)

None of that matters anyway. As I said, both Arsenal and Real Madrid have declared their interest in him. If he was faced with offers from those two clubs and Liverpool, which club do you think he'll choose?

...Oh, what's this? He'll want first team football? Do you really think that'll convince him Liverpool is his best option? Most footballers rate themselves highly and if Hazard thinks he's good enough for a team like Madrid or Arsenal, he'll go there. Not to mention, he'd get a game for Arsenal quite easily anyway, providing he went there.

I'd say you're much better going after Jerome Thomas anyway. Hazard will cost an absolute fortune, and that's only after 7 goals and 7 assists in Ligue 1. Thomas will come much cheaper and he's a proven gun in the EPL.

At the current point in his career, whether you like it or not, he would be much better off staying in France as opposed to moving to England. Next year, he will be playing Champions League football and adding to that, the reassurance he'll be in a league he's familiar with rather than the EPL, which probably won't suit him very well (especially the type of football Liverpool play, which is different to Lille's)

None of that matters anyway. As I said, both Arsenal and Real Madrid have declared their interest in him. If he was faced with offers from those two clubs and Liverpool, which club do you think he'll choose?

...Oh, what's this? He'll want first team football? Do you really think that'll convince him Liverpool is his best option? Most footballers rate themselves highly and if Hazard thinks he's good enough for a team like Madrid or Arsenal, he'll go there. Not to mention, he'd get a game for Arsenal quite easily anyway, providing he went there.

I'd say you're much better going after Jerome Thomas anyway. Hazard will cost an absolute fortune, and that's only after 7 goals and 7 assists in Ligue 1. Thomas will come much cheaper and he's a proven gun in the EPL.

I'm not sold I would want him, never said that. Just noticed you throwing out the CL argument in here and another thread I do not remember like no player in a CL team would leave for one not in it. You seem to be going on a view no one wants to come here, when history says otherwise. Just pointing out a player would be an idiot to choose a club on CL alone, especially one that has a history of playing in it more often than not and with recent success.

The whole we aren't a champions league club etc argument doesn't fly with me... Everyone knows who we are and where we're heading... A good young player with ambition will see that and jump on board.

The whole we aren't a champions league club etc argument doesn't fly with me... Everyone knows who we are and where we're heading... A good young player with ambition will see that and jump on board.

We managed to get Suarez despite not having champions league to tempt him, no reason why we can't do it again

Leave here:

to go here:

Hrrm. You have obviously never been to northern France in winter....

Unlike your little club, Liverpool has massive pulling power throughout Europe. No matter the position on the EPL table. Yes, to get the absolute superstars, you need CL football, but Hazard is not at that stage yet.

I do wish you guys all the best in your pursuit of Parker though.

massive inferiority complex there GB. please try and keep your spurs to reds thread posting ratio swinging your way for everyones sake

No champions league will make some players unattainable, bit not all. For those prepared to sacrifice champions league short term, they will need to be convinced that the club is heading in then right direction toward getting back into the comp and staying there long term.

Liverpool pretty well placed to make that sales pitch, although probably only for another season of not qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back