Remove this Banner Ad

416965878_937587344395649_8413549877096176253_n.jpg

japan-sets-the-record-for-highest-partnership-in-t20i-v0-es0yqlfztnic1.jpeg

This was the highest-ever T20I partnership

The captain is Australian apparently. Has played grade cricket in Brisbane and is also a player manager interestingly.
Born in Japan, has a Japanese parent, moved to Australia at 6.

His opening partner plays grade cricket in Perth, apparently.

China may be pretty weak going by some of those results but the team seems to be mostly home grown players at least. Japan seems to have a decent amount too. Something to be said for that over expats like in Hong Kong (who are far and away the strongest of the three tbf).

China may be pretty weak going by some of those results but the team seems to be mostly home grown players at least. Japan seems to have a decent amount too. Something to be said for that over expats like in Hong Kong (who are far and away the strongest of the three tbf).
Not saying you are doing this, but I'd caution people against judging players based on their name.

For instance, Hong Kong captain Nizakat Khan was, yep, born in Pakistan but has represented Hong Kong since under 17s, some 15 years ago. Guys like Aizaz Khan and Haroon Arshad are definitely of South Asian origin but were both born in Hong Kong.

A bunch of the German team at one point were Afghan refugees and I remember Denmark putting a thing on socials a couple of years ago listing the birthplaces of their team, who, as it turns out, were the Danish-born children of immigrants.

There absolutely is an element in associate cricket where people move overseas just to play cricket - some of the best players in Uganda's rise to the T20 World Cup, for instance - but personally I am prepared to turn a blind eye to most of that (as long as the rules are being followed, of course) if it helps cricket develop around the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back