Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks MrsEddieBetts! I’m hanging out for folklore too. I, really not sure what to expect in a way.

My previous posts in this thread at that time will tell the story but folklore dropping was completely unexpected both in terms of zero promotion beforehand and a very different genre, especially given the massive marketing campaign and pure pop nature of Lover.

folklore immediately grabbed me on first listen and never let go - it is her best writing to date (imo) and I hope you enjoy it too.

Lover (2019)

As I enter into Taylor’s seventh album Lover I’m quite looking forward to se what direction of pop she goes in. 1989 was incredible but Reputation felt a little to samey throughout it’s listen through. Saying that though it did have some great tracks, mainly Getaway Car and …Ready For It.

On to Lover though and opening track I Forgot You Existed sounds like an open admission to moving on from revenge and broken hearts and embracing new beginnings and love. Cruel Summer is such an absolute smash of a song and I’m so glad it’s got the success it deserves, even if it’s four years after it’s release. Lover whilst it’s nice and made a good choice for single isn’t amongst my favourites here, though I think it may be more of a grower than an instant hit. Speaking of instant hit The Man was just that for me, such a brilliant song. It hit me pretty much straight away with the lyrics. The Archer and I Think He Knows were both also great tracks and Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince was just so good, love the lyric ‘You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes’. Paper Rings sounds the closest to something you might’ve found on a Taylor Swift album but with a slight pop twist.

Eight tracks in and I can’t believe how much I’m loving it. It’s such a strong album. The greatness continues with Cornelia Street, I seem to remember reading such praise for this online at the time of release in 2019 and I can finally see why. I feel by this stage at track ten I’m just praising every song, so to move things along Death By A Thousand Cuts and London Boy impressed me too. Especially London Boy, actually I’ll probably love anything that name drops places in London or names of London Underground Stations. Soon You’ll Get Better sounded quite similar to White Horse and lyrically I thought it was just so touching.

False God is probably the first song on the album I found myself not really enjoying and whilst I love the message and lyrics of second single You Need To Calm Down I didn’t quite like the music. I really want to like it more than I do though. Afterglow didn’t really do much for me, though Me on the other hand is quite the guilty pleasure. I know it has it’s fair share of hater but I don’t mind it. It’s Nice To Have A Friend and Daylight close out the album and unfortunately neither of the two matched the highs that proceeded them on the album.

All in all though I really loved Lover, I think it could be top of the pile for me now. That and 1989 will take some beating. Saying that I do know Folklore and Evermore are both different to Taylor’s previous albums, so I’m really looking forward to getting into those next.

Singles I liked: Cruel Summer, The Man, Me (featuring Brendon Urie)
Album Tracks I liked: The Archer, Paper Rings, Cornelia Street, Death By A Thousand Cuts, London Boy, I Think He Knows, Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys, save my from myself. I thought this morning I should listen to evermore because I’ve been ******* flogging folklore and just being sad.

Evermore isn’t helping. Now I’m listening to tolerate it and trying to put mascara on through tears 😂
Mate, turn 1989 on and put it up LOUD.

You're welcome.

You guys, save my from myself. I thought this morning I should listen to evermore because I’ve been ******* flogging folklore and just being sad.

Evermore isn’t helping. Now I’m listening to tolerate it and trying to put mascara on through tears 😂

I apologise in advance as I think my initial thoughts on Folklore may not be well received. Still love you all!

Folklore (2020)

On to Taylir’s 8th album now, Folklore. I know very little of this, having only heard Cardigan and knowing that it’s a change in direction musically to So I’m really looking forward to listening to this for the first time.

1+1 is a very solid start that shows even without the banging pop songs Taylor’s songwriting is still absolutely top shelf, a very good opening to the album. Cardigan was the only song I was slightly familiar with heading into this. Not that I ever actively listened to it, it just came on the radio and tv a lot. Any the song itself is wonderful, such a nice song. If this is what’s to come on Folklore then I think I’m going to really enjoy it. What is The Last Great American Dynasty about? I’ve seen it mentioned a lot by people due to it’s brilliant song writing. I think I’ll have to agree, it’s a very well written song. Sadly I must confess the Exile didn’t really do anything for me at all, though I feel like it has the potential to really grow with repeated listens.

My Tears Ricochet was really quite splendid, and I think my favourite lyric had to be ‘If I’m dead to you why are you at the wake?”. Mirrorball and Seven both underwhelmed me a little. Though whilst they’re still both decent songs I think I built up this album to much in my mind. So I need to be careful here. August was quite please and a nice step up on the previous two songs for me and This Is Me Trying, Illicit Affairs and Invisible String were all quite good. Folklore still hasn’t really hit me as hard as 1989 or Lover but it has so far been quite a decent album.

The last few songs from Folklore seem to drag on just a little for me. Sadly I think this album was hindered by my unrealistic expectations. I’ve seen so much on hear and other places online really singing Folklores praises. So I think I went into this listen through with such high, high hopes and that’s probably why I’m a little underwhelmed in general. I do want to give this album a fir chance though. So I’ll definitely be revisiting it in a few months time.

Tracks I liked: 1+1, Cardigan, The Last Great American Dynasty, My Tears Ricochet, August

Remove this Banner Ad

Back