Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno what was ever a problem considering some alternative names to make it sound like a club instead of a reps team.

Brought up Wisle, Timberdevils (nod to the forestry) and Orchardevils (nod to the Apple isle) before, which doesn't sound the best but in this day and age why not something interesting, like the JackJumpers?

Again Demons and Devils, as a term clash with each other like Collingwood and Carlton's jumpers.

Dunno what was ever a problem considering some alternative names to make it sound like a club instead of a reps team.

Brought up Wisle, Timberdevils (nod to the forestry) and Orchardevils (nod to the Apple isle) before, which doesn't sound the best
This is why.

More than fine with Devils, because Australians know Devils and Demons contextually are different.

Just please Tassie, emulate Adelaide and use the state colours with a good design.

This is why.

More than fine with Devils, because Australians know Devils and Demons contextually are different.

Just please Tassie, emulate Adelaide and use the state colours with a good design.
Only contextually different, but you'd want to be able to distinguish more, considering the term itself is very similar to the Demons, the same way Port added teal to their colour when entering as an AFL club.

And Tasmanian Devils, it's such a boring and unoriginal name for a sporting club at this day of age.

It's fine for the VFL, but this is a professional sporting competition much more of a value.

I thought that they would go with a new jumper purely to keep the state jumper a representative jumper. If people don't mind then I think it's fine though. It's a classic design that already has a strong brand to it. No offense to the designs in this thread but every pitch I've seen just feels like an imitation of the state jumper or change for the sake of change. I haven't seen any potential designs that feel right like the state jumper does.
This is a fair take too.
The Tassie Map jumper, imo, is one of the all time greats. If they went with something else there's no way it'd be as iconic and there might be a bit of a Port/Prison Bars situation with some fans.
I know there's the argument of 'well they're not the State of Origin team' ... but the reality is State of Origin hasn't been a thing for a long time, and Tassie will effectively be the state team.
I think it's a bit disappointing in the sense that we all wanted a big, new reveal like we had with GC and GWS in the early 2010s, but the more I've thought about it the more I think it's probably the right call, and judging by the fan survey it's what the majority of Tasmanians want.
Another thing I've noticed - when the March 18th event gets mentioned on Fox Footy, they keep saying 'they'll announce the name and colours' ... there's actually been no mention of a logo or jumper reveal recently, maybe they're both still a while down the line anyway. The event itself was clearly politically timed, and for a team that's not set to join the league until 2028 it's very early to have finalised the branding.

Dear Santa, I would like
State colours
not State jumper
Subtle T not Bold T
Map on logo not Map on jumper
Tasmania Devils not Tasmanian Devils

Please and thank you.
View attachment 1920108
This is so simple yet so effective. Reminds me of St Kildas cross jumper variations which have been wildly popular.

Now watch us get a GC Sun's type jumper as plain green with the logo in the middle.

community moon GIF

I know a lot of you are disappointed but I think we all need to remember it’s not for us and it’s for the Tasmanians. This seems to be what they want the most so I think we should be happy for them.

There’s also no reason why they can’t have some killer looking away and clash guernseys too.
I see what you’re saying, but the Crows were definitely marketed as the same thing when they joined and for some time after we got our license. The same could be said for the Eagles and the Bears to some extent as well. These teams also came into the league while the draft hadn’t yet become the primary way to pick up new players, so their squads were almost akin to a state squad as well.
I know there is obviously bound to be some differences here, like the Crows never wanted to make the SA jumper their home jumper, and they tried to wear it while there was another SA team in the comp, but the point I’m mainly trying to get at is that there are ways to brand themselves as the team for Tasmanians without straight up taking the state jumper. Being the Devils and wearing the original colours is the perfect start, and provided the design is a good one the fans will come to love it.
The Crows are the perfect case study on how to do the quasi-state team branding and I mean that as a massive complement to them, I hope Tassie took some pointers along the way as both clubs really required a lot of people to unite in order to come to fruition. I just really don’t want to see a state team’s jumper become synonymous with a club that won’t be exclusively made up of players from that state.

Only contextually different, but you'd want to be able to distinguish more, considering the term itself is very similar to the Demons, the same way Port added teal to their colour when entering as an AFL club.

And Tasmanian Devils, it's such a boring and unoriginal name for a sporting club at this day of age.

It's fine for the VFL, but this is a professional sporting competition much more of a value.
Devils is way better than Suns and Giants.

This is a fair take too.
The Tassie Map jumper, imo, is one of the all time greats. If they went with something else there's no way it'd be as iconic and there might be a bit of a Port/Prison Bars situation with some fans.
I know there's the argument of 'well they're not the State of Origin team' ... but the reality is State of Origin hasn't been a thing for a long time, and Tassie will effectively be the state team.
I think it's a bit disappointing in the sense that we all wanted a big, new reveal like we had with GC and GWS in the early 2010s, but the more I've thought about it the more I think it's probably the right call, and judging by the fan survey it's what the majority of Tasmanians want.
Another thing I've noticed - when the March 18th event gets mentioned on Fox Footy, they keep saying 'they'll announce the name and colours' ... there's actually been no mention of a logo or jumper reveal recently, maybe they're both still a while down the line anyway. The event itself was clearly politically timed, and for a team that's not set to join the league until 2028 it's very early to have finalised the branding.
I hope this is the case, makes sense to announce the name and colours now as they were pretty obvious what they were going to be, maybe they could just wear the map for their inaugural season, I've heard theres talks of SoO making a return

They might be using the state jumper for now but remember it’s still 4 years away until they enter the AFL. I think a lot will happen between now and then and a lot of these concerns will be ironed out as they build on their brand and identity. I don’t mind the Tasmanian Devils name at all, it feels right for Tassie. The jumper design though definitely needs to be revisited as they prepare to launch into the AFL. They can trial some different designs between now and then and see what resonates well with their fans and what translates well on the field.

They might be using the state jumper for now but remember it’s still 4 years away until they enter the AFL. I think a lot will happen between now and then and a lot of these concerns will be ironed out as they build on their brand and identity. I don’t mind the Tasmanian Devils name at all, it feels right for Tassie. The jumper design though definitely needs to be revisited as they prepare to launch into the AFL. They can trial some different designs between now and then and see what resonates well with their fans and what translates well on the field.
lets get a passion up, or something idk?

Dear Santa, I would like
State colours
not State jumper
Subtle T not Bold T
Map on logo not Map on jumper
Tasmania Devils not Tasmanian Devils

Please and thank you.
View attachment 1920108
As a Tasmanian, I would take this everyday of the week over the 'Map', it's not too late, you should definitely email this through to the believe tasmania campaign email 👌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be so hugely disapointed if they just use the state jumper with the Tassie Map in the middle, would be another fail for a new club after both Gold Coast and GWS. THey need a new identity. I quickly threw a lot of the amazing options we have on this forum together just to show how the colours can work in so many new and interesting ways and still keep the Tasmanian football tradition
The top T one is the best, hope they go with something like that.

This is my preference for the jumper design. Was always going to be the state jumper though. Wish they'd gone for something new to represent the club and left the state jumper for representative footy, but I guess it could have been much much worse considering what some other clubs are running around in.

0843-Tasmania-AFL-Jumper-Design-(no-pattern)-V01.jpg

Why not an apple that resembles the Tasmanian Isle?

Would be fun to have an apple colour on jumpers: The Tasmanian maroon on the Premiership team, a lighter shade of red on the Women's, and green on VFL/U18s.

Haven’t designed jerseys in a decade but with a new iPad, Apple Pencil and the Procreate app I wanted to see what I could scratch up. The end result, the Tasmania Australian Football Club. IMG_0064.png

"THE NEW Tasmanian AFL club will launch its nickname and colours in March ahead of the team's entry into the competition in 2028."

I don't think there will actually be a jumper shown, just the logo and name with the colours we assume they will all use, green, maroon, yellow and maybe white.

The jumper will be coming at a later time methinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back