10 Sandringham
11 Oakleigh
12 North Ballarat
13 Bendigo

Morrish Medal winner – Michael Barnes
TAC Coaches award winner – Griffiths
TAC Team of the Year Ruckman – Tom Hill
TAC Team of the Year Full Back – Grimes
TAC Cup Leading Goalkicker and how many goals – Matt Watson (35)

Number of draftees per club (no names needed, just a number)
Bendigo: 1
Calder: 3
Dandenong: 3
Eastern: 4
Geelong: 4
Gippsland: 5
Murray: 2
North Ballarat: 0
Northern: 4
Oakleigh: 2
Sandringham: 2
Western: 2

(30)

Went for a few out of left field - see how we go.
I think we will see a fair number of rookie elavations being a reduced draft.

Just got home from Victoria Park saw a very disappointing game between Western Jets and Oakleigh both teams must improve to have any chance of making the finals the skill levels from both teams well below par although windy conditions made things difficult.

Just got home from Victoria Park saw a very disappointing game between Western Jets and Oakleigh both teams must improve to have any chance of making the finals the skill levels from both teams well below par although windy conditions made things difficult.
Not entirely sure about that mate, I'll concede the first game was ordinary but that was full of mostly bottom aged guys.

The skills were hit and miss in the second match (top agers), but the conditions were difficult and we're talking about pre-season where teams are still gelling together and you don't expect skills to be that great anyway. I do think that the class rose towards the top however in that second game.

It's early days and that was the first game I'd seen since September so I haven't got a fresh benchmark in my head to compare it with, but I wouldn't be writing off either sides finals chances because of what you saw at Vic Park on a wintery like March day!

Certainly the gap in standard from Game 1 to Game 2 was very noticeable however - as you'd expect.

Agreed. The first match was very scrappy but the 2pm game was good considering the conditions.

Dunno about you Fm but i found it hard to pick best players..
For Oakleigh, Van Unen was very good and Gorden looked promising up forward.
A few good midfeilders in there but i'm not sure of names.
The whole Oakleigh side looks pretty tall on average and suprised me today.
But i suppose they'll be hit hard by school footy..

Good to see the Jets at close to full strength.
Looked very strong in the first half but then seemed to drop away, particularly in the 3rd qtr.
Morris and McKenzie looked classy, Conway had the ball on a string, Nick Tonini (no.34) was very hard at it and Hartigan was unbeaten.
Also very pleasing to see the almost perfect return of Johnny Rayner after a reasonable stint on the sidelines.

Would be keen to know the thoughts of anyone else at the game but a pretty good hit out i thought..

Agreed. The first match was very scrappy but the 2pm game was good considering the conditions.

Dunno about you Fm but i found it hard to pick best players..
For Oakleigh, Van Unen was very good and Gorden looked promising up forward.
A few good midfeilders in there but i'm not sure of names.
The whole Oakleigh side looks pretty tall on average and suprised me today.
But i suppose they'll be hit hard by school footy..

Good to see the Jets at close to full strength.
Looked very strong in the first half but then seemed to drop away, particularly in the 3rd qtr.
McKenzie looked classy, Conway had the ball on a string, Nick Tonini (no.34) was very hard at it and Hartigan was unbeaten.
Also very pleasing to see the almost perfect return of Johnny Rayner after a reasonable stint on the sidelines.

Would be keen to know the thoughts of anyone else at the game but a pretty good hit out i thought..
I never expect much in those first games. You're talking about people who are still 16 yrs old and haven't had that season in the TAC Cup or really started smashing the weights. And you notice that players really dont seem to know how their teammates play, and there's always a lack of voice and communication out on the ground. The Jets were perhaps more quiet and incohesive than Oakleigh were, but that's natural cos everyone is still a bit new and settling in.

The second game as you said was tough to pick best players. Although you probably nailed the group of best performers - I'd agree with you there. There were probably two standouts in each team and then it was daylight to the rest.

I wouldn't say either side are going to be hopeless. To be honest, I probably haven't seen a Jets side in the 8 or 9 years that I've followed this competition that interested me as much as today's one did. They've certainly got together a better team of footballers than ever before and realistically quite a number of potential AFL draftees. They seem to have a decent group of versatile talls which is a good start.

As for Oakleigh, unfortunately school footy will be a killer but I liked what a few of the bottom aged players showed in the early game so they might find a few of them can step up. I think their midfield looks alright but I'd be more worried about their lack of KPPs. If Castricum isn't there, if Gordon isn't there...well it leaves them with McMahon at 203cm in the ruck, Taffin at 192cm (both 19 yr olds incidently) and then they're down to the 190cms and less.

any1 know how the prac match between calder and the knights went yesterday?

Missed the first game.

Pretty scrappy afair the 2nd game with Hoody, Woods & Cachia starting the game off well in the 1st quater and getting the knights off to an early start probably 2 or 3 up at quater time. Talia was good down back for Cannons, Ezard had some touches on a wing with Melksham & McCallum also noticed.

2nd quater saw Lucin come off the bench and into the middle creating some run and winning clearances around the stoppages. Grimes was solid in defence and Thompson was Cannons only real avenue to goal in was a pretty even quater.

Melksham's class was cleary evident in yhe early part of the 3rd and showed why he is touted as a early draft choice, first 10 minutes was excellent. Duhau also showed why the he was selected as a 19 year old with great balance & poise.

Daniher for his first real crack rucked well all day and his conterpart Walsh was good also.

Temel was pretty much unsighted for the first half and was moved to defence where he effected some decent spoils.

I believe the knights probably would have won by 5+ goals.

Extremely tough conditions with the rain absoulty peacing down in the 3rd and the final quater was basically a scrap fest.

Better players,
Knights - Grimes, Woods, Smith-Whiting, Hood, Walsh.
Cannons - Melksham, Lucin, Talia, Duhau, Thompson.

Cannons/Knights first game was pretty average...conditions couldnt be any worse. Not many stood out at all although Luke Mitchell, as probably expected stood out a fair bit.

Daniher for his first real crack rucked well all day and his conterpart Walsh was good also.
Better players,
Knights - Grimes, Woods, Smith-Whiting, Hood, Walsh.
Cannons - Melksham, Lucin, Talia, Duhau, Thompson.
Are you sure you watched the right player because I saw Walsh drop about 5 uncotested chest marks and cant actually recall him taking any the Knights had many better players than him. I also dont think he did much ruck work at all.

Anyone get to Eastern vs Gippy, should have been a quality game if we're to believe the tipsters on here with many picking them as 1 and 2.

I heard Eastern won by a goal in the main game and Gippy 9-10 goals in the 2nds and that neither Butcher or Griffiths played.

Temel was pretty much unsighted for the first half and was moved to defence where he effected some decent spoils.
Pose an interesting question. I think that both Temel and Mitchell seem more at home when they're playing close to goal. Did those two play in tandem up forward on Saturday? It'll be interesting what the Cannons do during the season - do they play as FF and FP, does Mitchell go to CHF and Temel FF or does one of them end up playing back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to change the topic a bit but back to the predictions.

2009 Premiers – Eastern
Wooden Spooners – Bendigo

End of H&A season ladder prediction –
1 Gippsland
2 Eastern
3 Western
4 Geelong
5 Dandenong
6 Murray
7 Oakleigh
8 Calder
9 Sandringham
10 Gold Coast
11 Ballarat
12 Northern
13 Bendigo

Morrish Medal winner – Andrew Hooper
TAC Coaches award winner – Kyle Hartigan
TAC Team of the Year Ruckman – Nathan Vardy
TAC Team of the Year Full Back – Kyle Hartigan
TAC Cup Leading Goalkicker and how many goals – John Buther (52)

Number of draftees per club (Assuming it's just players taken in the National Draft?)

Bendigo (1)
Calder (2)
Dandenong (3)
Eastern (3)
Geelong (2)
Gippsland (5)
Murray (2)
North Ballarat (1)
Northern (3)
Oakleigh (2)
Sandringham (1)
Western (4)

You saw it here first :thumbsu:

I never expect much in those first games. You're talking about people who are still 16 yrs old and haven't had that season in the TAC Cup or really started smashing the weights. And you notice that players really dont seem to know how their teammates play, and there's always a lack of voice and communication out on the ground. The Jets were perhaps more quiet and incohesive than Oakleigh were, but that's natural cos everyone is still a bit new and settling in.

The second game as you said was tough to pick best players. Although you probably nailed the group of best performers - I'd agree with you there. There were probably two standouts in each team and then it was daylight to the rest.

I wouldn't say either side are going to be hopeless. To be honest, I probably haven't seen a Jets side in the 8 or 9 years that I've followed this competition that interested me as much as today's one did. They've certainly got together a better team of footballers than ever before and realistically quite a number of potential AFL draftees. They seem to have a decent group of versatile talls which is a good start.

As for Oakleigh, unfortunately school footy will be a killer but I liked what a few of the bottom aged players showed in the early game so they might find a few of them can step up. I think their midfield looks alright but I'd be more worried about their lack of KPPs. If Castricum isn't there, if Gordon isn't there...well it leaves them with McMahon at 203cm in the ruck, Taffin at 192cm (both 19 yr olds incidently) and then they're down to the 190cms and less.

who do you think personally they could realistically have drafted? western and oakliegh

who do you think personally they could realistically have drafted? western and oakliegh
Forget what I personally think, the Jets have Fitzpatrick and Hartigan who've gone through the AIS program and should be drafted. Tighe and Rayner were of interest to AFL clubs last year, that's no secret either. Fair chance both of them could be drafted. So without sticking the neck out too much I've named four. I'd be surprised if they had less than four draftees, even if one of those guys dropped out I suspect there are a couple who could jump in with a chance in the draft. McKenzie is AIS and could end up with the Gold Coast later this year, so if you count him there's another potentially entering the AFL system. Realistically for the Jets I think 4 draftees this year as a minimum.

Oakleigh will get a few games out of a guy already on an AFL list in Dan Hannebery. I think they'll have a bit less success in November than the Jets. But I'm sure there are two or three that are good enough, put it this way I came away with six players yesterday that I thought looked alright.

Early days though, it's just guesswork at the moment. These guys have got something like 20-25 games ahead where they'll fall in and out of favour and new players will pop up and jump into the equation. Take the clock back two years, Cal Ward was unknown to most and six months later he got drafted in the first round. Go back 12 months, Mitch Brown couldn't even make the Sandringham Dragons list, last November the Cats selected him with a first round draft pick. There might be a great unknown out there right now who can do the same thing in 2009.

Pose an interesting question. I think that both Temel and Mitchell seem more at home when they're playing close to goal. Did those two play in tandem up forward on Saturday? It'll be interesting what the Cannons do during the season - do they play as FF and FP, does Mitchell go to CHF and Temel FF or does one of them end up playing back?

Mitchell played in the first game, which i missed. the word around the ground suggested he was good.

Temel played up foward for the first half and apart from a nice mark in the first was pretty much unsighted.

Was reasonable down back and i think they may give him a bit more time down there this year.

I must admit that Temel looks a lot better as a foward however his best game last season was in defence against the knights at coburg.

I think we will see Waston in tandem with Mitchell up foward until school footy takes over for Mitchell, with Temel showing potenetial selectors what he is capable of doing down back for the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Only my thought though.

Are you sure you watched the right player because I saw Walsh drop about 5 uncotested chest marks and cant actually recall him taking any the Knights had many better players than him. I also dont think he did much ruck work at all.

Sorry mate, i didn't have a team list and i was struggling to find a 5th name for the knights and made a mental note of a couple of things i thought he did well, in particular the roving goal he kicked to the scoreboard end from about 45 out.

Probably could have put Witta in there keeping Talia kickless when he was moved foward and probably no. 30 as well.

Help us out a little and give us your bests.

Cheers

Sorry mate, i didn't have a team list and i was struggling to find a 5th name for the knights and made a mental note of a couple of things i thought he did well, in particular the roving goal he kicked to the scoreboard end from about 45 out.

Probably could have put Witta in there keeping Talia kickless when he was moved foward and probably no. 30 as well.

Help us out a little and give us your bests.

Cheers
I didn't see the whole game and I could see you might struggle to name 5 as it was an even performance from what I saw apart from Lambert who stood out in contested situations. Grimes was also good as a sweeper through the middle. No. 30 was Rintoul U16 VM rep and I also was impressed with him down back looks a good size.

thought the same thing, i think had a small injury and was first game for season from what a guy at the game said...kicked 2 or 3 goals though and was pretty good. Will be in best 22 until school takes over.

Forget what I personally think, the Jets have Fitzpatrick and Hartigan who've gone through the AIS program and should be drafted. Tighe and Rayner were of interest to AFL clubs last year, that's no secret either. Fair chance both of them could be drafted. So without sticking the neck out too much I've named four. I'd be surprised if they had less than four draftees, even if one of those guys dropped out I suspect there are a couple who could jump in with a chance in the draft. McKenzie is AIS and could end up with the Gold Coast later this year, so if you count him there's another potentially entering the AFL system. Realistically for the Jets I think 4 draftees this year as a minimum.

Oakleigh will get a few games out of a guy already on an AFL list in Dan Hannebery. I think they'll have a bit less success in November than the Jets. But I'm sure there are two or three that are good enough, put it this way I came away with six players yesterday that I thought looked alright.

Early days though, it's just guesswork at the moment. These guys have got something like 20-25 games ahead where they'll fall in and out of favour and new players will pop up and jump into the equation. Take the clock back two years, Cal Ward was unknown to most and six months later he got drafted in the first round. Go back 12 months, Mitch Brown couldn't even make the Sandringham Dragons list, last November the Cats selected him with a first round draft pick. There might be a great unknown out there right now who can do the same thing in 2009.

Yep agree footyman, Jets will have a lot more players who interest clubs than they have in previous years.

On the McKenzie to GC pre-draft selection, do the kids have to agree to be taken by the GC like a NSW scholarship or rookie zone selection, or do the kids have no say in it like a regular draft selection?

McKenzie would definitely be on Scotty Clayton's radar there and Dylan Conway's probably another Jet who Scotty will be watching closely.

thought the same thing, i think had a small injury and was first game for season from what a guy at the game said...kicked 2 or 3 goals though and was pretty good. Will be in best 22 until school takes over.
Cheers Tiger. :thumbsu:

Cannons played predominately first year kids game 1 & top age game 2. probably 1 or 2 max. in each.

Cannons as of the weekend still had 65 on their lists.
Fair enough that they kept the 17s and 18s separate.

If they've still got 15-20 to cut, it sounds like there will be a few disappointed young blokes down there this week. That'd have to be the worst job in the world I think, delivering bad news to all the players who don't get listed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back