TAC Cup 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

[/B]

Sounds an interesting concept, game time would be a big issue as the VFL teams will have to embrace the concept.
Well that's right and I'm not sure they all will.

Is their number one priority to develop a TAC Cup kid, or is it to win matches? Mind you, if sides use it wisely then its a free kick really because you get that extra pair of fresh legs on the bench. I can imagine there will be some games this season where one VFL side has a TAC Cup player on the bench and their opposition don't. And that'll be an interesting scenario. A good TAC Cup player can be very close to AFL standard and should be at home in the VFL. But again how happy will the TAC Cup team be giving up one of their best 2 or 3 players for a weekend?

Is their number one priority to develop a TAC Cup kid, or is it to win matches? Mind you, if sides use it wisely then its a free kick really because you get that extra pair of fresh legs on the bench. I can imagine there will be some games this season where one VFL side has a TAC Cup player on the bench and their opposition don't. And that'll be an interesting scenario. A good TAC Cup player can be very close to AFL standard and should be at home in the VFL. But again how happy will the TAC Cup team be giving up one of their best 2 or 3 players for a weekend?

Well could be Intresting for Collingwood and Geelong because we have our own VFL Clubs would it be seen as Tempering with Prospects if we bring a Player in we are Intrested in Drafting

For mine, Gippsland must start clear favourites. Butcher and Stevens are absolutely top notch, but it's the depth behind them that'll make them so hard to beat. I'd imagine that Nathan Vardy and Mitchell Golby will be very useful players.

If I had to pick another side, I reckon it's Eastern. If Ben Griffiths can get up and fit he'll lead them up forward, and Jordan Gysberts will be outstanding when available. Behind them I think guys like Burnage, Cass and Moore will be contributors.

As for the other sides, I think the Stingrays, Jets, Cannons and the Falcons should have reasonable aspirations, the private school system will hurt Oakleigh and Sandingham and I just don't see the depth in the the Bushies, the Pioneers or the Rebels to have them up there at this stage. The Knights could go either way.

The logistics of this will be interesting to watch. VFL have paid players, budgets, sponsors, members and a desire to win a competition or to do as well as they can within that budget.

Small things like say a Bushie who always gets the team bus to Melbourne, does that means he gets to Skilled Stadium by himself the best way he can?

Playing with a team that you don't train with will stretch the player's and VFL's coaches comfort levels.

Is it a different player every week?

Will it be a reward for good play or a purgatory to shape up a bit?

For mine, Gippsland must start clear favourites. Butcher and Stevens are absolutely top notch, but it's the depth behind them that'll make them so hard to beat. I'd imagine that Nathan Vardy and Mitchell Golby will be very useful players.

If I had to pick another side, I reckon it's Eastern. If Ben Griffiths can get up and fit he'll lead them up forward, and Jordan Gysberts will be outstanding when available. Behind them I think guys like Burnage, Cass and Moore will be contributors.

As for the other sides, I think the Stingrays, Jets, Cannons and the Falcons should have reasonable aspirations, the private school system will hurt Oakleigh and Sandingham and I just don't see the depth in the the Bushies, the Pioneers or the Rebels to have them up there at this stage. The Knights could go either way.

Private schools affect more than oakleigh and sandy now. I reckon Calder and Northern have about 8 blokes of their best sides at private schools. Calder will be the big improvers for mine- only way is up- they played about 15 U/16 players last year, had the biggest representation in Vic Metro U/16 side ( without Mitchell Wallis who broke his leg) and have some top agers such as Temel, Tydell, Lucin, McCallum, Ezard, Melksham and Dahau (19 year old) who should give them a bit of leadership. I watched Sam Vale play for Assumption several times and he is a big straight ahead sort of player who looks to be a chb type. Apparently he has moved down to Melbourne for an apprenticeship with James Lawton who was also at Assumption last year and also on Calders training list. Rumours around the traps have Calder snaring a VERY handy type from interstate who has moved into their zone but wont write name until I know it is fact- if true will be a player on AFL radar.

Private schools affect more than oakleigh and sandy now. I reckon Calder and Northern have about 8 blokes of their best sides at private schools. Calder will be the big improvers for mine- only way is up- they played about 15 U/16 players last year, had the biggest representation in Vic Metro U/16 side ( without Mitchell Wallis who broke his leg) and have some top agers such as Temel, Tydell, Lucin, McCallum, Ezard, Melksham and Dahau (19 year old) who should give them a bit of leadership. I watched Sam Vale play for Assumption several times and he is a big straight ahead sort of player who looks to be a chb type. Apparently he has moved down to Melbourne for an apprenticeship with James Lawton who was also at Assumption last year and also on Calders training list. Rumours around the traps have Calder snaring a VERY handy type from interstate who has moved into their zone but wont write name until I know it is fact- if true will be a player on AFL radar.

Agree with you here, the cannons will be far from the disaster they were last year.
That bottom age group will be one of the strongest for any club in many years.
They'll hit Serhat up like no tomorrow and he is almost impossible to stop when out in front on the lead.

Yeah Vale is a big CHB, will be intersting to see how he goes this year with no experience.
Also interesting to see if this interstate recruiting coup eventuates, but the cannons will be very formidable either way...

How do people rate the Gold Coasts' chances??

How do people rate the Gold Coasts' chances??
That's a massive unknown isnt it. But we're talking about a small group of full time footballers that are pretty talented. It's fair to say 3, perhaps 4 would've been drafted last year if they threw their hat into the ring.

Zac Smith is a very promising ruckman whose only played the game for two years. And perhaps more importantly has a really good engine, not to mention at 204cm he'll tower over what a few other clubs throw at him in the middle. His Div 2 national carnival last year was poor although I believe there were some issues with the coach. That was prior to his Gold Coast signing, but he was still of interest to AFL clubs. Charlie Dixon was in quite a few recruiters second round in last year's draft prior to signing with GC. 199cm, clunk marking forward and fights for the footy when it hits the deck. Pretty sure Jack Stanlake would've got drafted too.

Haberfield's an AIS kid, a bit underpaced but very classy, Nick Price was brilliant in the U16s in 2007 before a year out of the game playing Rugby Union, Rory Thompson's another 199-200cm tall forward. They'll stretch their opponents in the big man department.

The questions remain I suppose on their depth players - they might have a good batch of 8 or 10 full timers, but will the rest be able to carry then through? And I suppose the other one is the home ground advantage. We've seen it for years in the AFL, does the psyche of the opposition change when they travel up there - holiday mode, different preparation, mentally wondering what it'll be like to play against guys being played to play this game.

As for Calder, I agree about the blooding of U16s and U17s kids in last year's squad. Hopefully they have some good on field leadership among them. I also agree that school is impacting more and more on the Cannons. PEGS the obvious one, but take Luke Mitchell out too who will have Melbourne Grammar commitments, and he's exceptionally promising. And Northern do have a group missing as well, namely at Marcellin.

And foj1 - I'll wait with interest to see who this gun interstate recruit might be!!!

Private schools affect more than oakleigh and sandy now. I reckon Calder and Northern have about 8 blokes of their best sides at private schools.

I certainly don't disagree that private schools affect more than just Oakleigh and Sandy, however, I still don't think that sides like Calder, Northern or Eastern are quite as affected as Oakleigh or Sandringham. The amount of guys on those sides' lists from private schools way out number the amount on Northern's or Calder's.

Calder will be the big improvers for mine- only way is up- they played about 15 U/16 players last year, had the biggest representation in Vic Metro U/16 side ( without Mitchell Wallis who broke his leg) and have some top agers such as Temel, Tydell, Lucin, McCallum, Ezard, Melksham and Dahau (19 year old) who should give them a bit of leadership. I watched Sam Vale play for Assumption several times and he is a big straight ahead sort of player who looks to be a chb type. Apparently he has moved down to Melbourne for an apprenticeship with James Lawton who was also at Assumption last year and also on Calders training list. Rumours around the traps have Calder snaring a VERY handy type from interstate who has moved into their zone but wont write name until I know it is fact- if true will be a player on AFL radar.

Certainly a decent bunch down at Calder.

One you haven't named that I'll be watching is Daniel Talia; great athleticism for his size.

gotta remember that Cambo Heath is playing for Power this year too:thumbsu:

Jordan Dessent is another one to keep an eye out on this season as well.. got one of the under 19 spots on Powers list and was a very solid defender for them last season. one a couple of the awards last year (most improved IIRC). and i really think that he might bloom this season:thumbsu: rarely beaten over the course of a game.

gotta remember that Cambo Heath is playing for Power this year too:thumbsu: .
I was hoping that wouldn't happen...but thought it would. I really liked Campbell from the first time I saw him play last year, he's got a lethal weapon that left foot of his.

But I still disapprove of AFL listeds playing TAC - but this is the last year that should happen.

I was hoping that wouldn't happen...but thought it would. I really liked Campbell from the first time I saw him play last year, he's got a lethal weapon that left foot of his.

But I still disapprove of AFL listeds playing TAC - but this is the last year that should happen.

yeah, with the draft eligibility changing it shouldn't occur anymore.

yeah, with the draft eligibility changing it shouldn't occur anymore.
Almost 100% sure it wont.

And as stupid as it might be to say, Heath in my view is a lot less "AFL ready" than Dangerfield was 12 months ago. We're talking Top 10 material against a later draft pick punt, so I wouldn't expect Heath to be dominating games the way Dangerfield did last year.

Almost 100% sure it wont.

And as stupid as it might be to say, Heath in my view is a lot less "AFL ready" than Dangerfield was 12 months ago. We're talking Top 10 material against a later draft pick punt, so I wouldn't expect Heath to be dominating games the way Dangerfield did last year.

yeah i get what you're saying. i think we'll notice Heath go even better this season though for a number of reasons

- Is now a top ager so naturally should do better
- no pressure to perform as he has already been selected (may work against him though. who knows?)
- training at an AFL club (professionalism will be very high)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah i get what you're saying. i think we'll notice Heath go even better this season though for a number of reasons

- Is now a top ager so naturally should do better
- no pressure to perform as he has already been selected (may work against him though. who knows?)
- training at an AFL club (professionalism will be very high)
The first point - well that's just the natural evolution of a player. No doubt he'll be a good contributor for the Power. But 8 goals off his boot in a game, continual match winning performances week after week...I doubt that. Partly cos he's still some way off AFL, and partly cos he'll have a few teammates who'll share the spotlight (already mentioned in this thread).

What I think you're right on is point 2, and particularly being a country TAC Cup player he'll be a kid who everybody knows. Those Metro kids who jump in the bus down to Morwell will know about John Butcher and Koby Stevens and Campbell Heath. That's a challenge in itself for those guys.

yeah i was also going to list that as a disadvantage.

the fact that everyone will know who he is means there is no way he'll slip under the radar.. but like you say, there definitely won't be any 8 goal matchwinning hauls which dangerfield did week in week out.

Can anyone please tell me around what date TAC clubs normally finalise their playing lists?

to be honest they actually leave it pretty late and i'm pretty sure they can add along the way (ala mitch brown last season)

most teams would be finalizing their last 30-35 in the next fortnight though i reckon

Can anyone please tell me around what date TAC clubs normally finalise their playing lists?

It all depends really, usually clubs finalise lists after the round of praccy matches have been played, however they are doing AFL Fitness testing again this year on the 7th of March so you may see them finalised by then, every club is different really.

they are doing AFL Fitness testing again this year on the 7th of March so you may see them finalised by then, every club is different really.
So many guys got tested on that day last year who didn't appear on TAC Cup lists. Quite crazy really. Perhaps its two weeks too early.

But like you said, it varies from club to club.

I'll be in the GC to see the Tigs Crows game and before hand the GC will be playing Murray.

Anyone in particular from either side that should stand out?

i would have thought that gippy will be v hard to beat. as mentioned they have a very strong list and with butcher up front gives them a big advantage. footyman - agree with you. dont like afl listed players still at tac but that maybe more a problem of the rules than the clubs. as you say shouldnt happen again.

Murray $1.80
Gold Coast $2.10
Northern $3.00
Eastern $3.30
Gippsland $5.00
Geelong $5.00
Oakleigh $6.00
Dandenong $7.50
Sandringham $11.00
Calder $12.00
Nth Ballarat $ 15.00
Bendigo $33.00