Oakleigh $6.00
Dandenong $7.50
Sandringham $11.00
Calder $12.00
Nth Ballarat $ 15.00
Bendigo $33.00
Western $50.00

No Bets accepted of course
Interesting market!! A bit compressed up the top end for me. $1.80 before a ball has been bounced for Murray :eek:

Hard to disagree with it, nobody knows at this stage. Although I'd take the $5 Gippsland if it was a real market. And I'd probably throw $5 on Western at 50s - they're over the odds.

Yep, Gippy's where my money would be too.

Not sure why Western's at such long odds though :confused: I reckon their side looks pretty handy this year. Far better than Bendigo's I would have thought anyway.

Gippsland have just shortened to $3.50- and I better lay off on them!!

I guess history still hurts the Jets.

Any thoughts on how the experience of the current coaches would affect the market??

Looking forward to going to the GC first round, they'll certainly be up for that- bit unlucky for Eastern to draw them- but a great experience and trip.

Today's Age indicates both Hannebery and Heath will play TAC Cup this year. Of course Hannebery has Xavier commitments too but the story says he will play some footy for Oakleigh.

I guess history still hurts the Jets.
It probably does, but at the same time history in this competition doesn't mean a heck of a lot. I think the Jets have a pretty good coach in charge and obviously last year was the first time they had two guys drafted in a season for almost a decade and they will match that, and should better it, at the end of this year.

Any thoughts on how the experience of the current coaches would affect the market??
Hard to say isn't it. New coaches especially. Molloy went to the Dragons with high expectations as far as I was concerned, and left with his tail between his legs. To many Phil Bunn was an unknown, and he won a flag.

Experience also can count for little - Ellis at Bendigo is close to the longest serving and I dont think he's gotten them into finals.

Pagan, well I'd have the Knights a little shorter because of that factor.

jets older guys this year some of the best they have had for a long time, a lot of size and speed, and crusha will have these boys flying this year. to say the jets are the worst team in the comp is a massive insult.......

to say the jets are the worst team in the comp is a massive insult.......

That's the great thing about footy- their results can prove that i have insulted them.

Looking at the Vic Metro Academy & AIS, I might have Eastern at generous odds.
Gysberts & Harper - AIS. Ben Griffiths, Andrew Moore & Jayden Cass are topliners in Academy. Add Nathan Burnage for Yarra Valley as 200cm + ruckman who may be in Academy as well- their best starts to look good.
Have to add Matthew Scott- unlucky not to be drafted bottom age in 08

Anyone else coming up for the Round 1 game vs Gold Coast?

Thought I'd get in early with my hot tip for TAC Cup this year, clearly I am a bit late. Haha, love your work guys!

Anyway, like a few have said I'm tipping Gippsland. I'm the most optimistic since 2005 (still think 2005 was better, tough to compare to a Premiership team before they have played a game I know).

The usual suspects you guys have named should all perform well. My tip is for Hoghton to have a big year. Middle of the pack last year, first real taste of the big time, I'm looking for him to come on big this year.

I hope to get to a few games after a couple of years away, should be a good year!

Well, it seems most clubs have now at least had one proper intra club game - some such as Western and Murray have had two. Many are playing their last intra club on the weekend coming up and a couple of sides are even having their first match against another club. Then its full steam ahead to March 7 for the TAC testing day, before three weekends of practice matches before Round 1.

Eastern interestingly have 8 players in the first VM U18 squad - the most of the metro teams. Definately them and Gippsland would be the 'market movers' on Chandra's betting board for mine. Do you want to come up with an updated market mate?

A new website that will focusing on the Under 18 leagues around Australia will be up soon. "Youth Footy" (www.youthfooty.com.au) is the site and it will provide previews, reviews, results and profiles regarding all the leagues.

Hopefully you enjoy it... Expect to be up and running by mid March!

Murray $1.80
Gold Coast $2.10
Northern $3.00
Eastern $3.30
Gippsland $5.00
Geelong $5.00
Oakleigh $6.00
Dandenong $7.50
Sandringham $11.00
Calder $12.00
Nth Ballarat $ 15.00
Bendigo $33.00
Western $50.00

No Bets accepted of course

The Gold Coast are remarkably short at $2.10. Don't know if there is much value there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murray will probably just sneak into the finals. To have them $1.80 well thats just stupidity. They won't be terrible but they won't be great either. Look out for Brendan Allen for Murray

Change tact for a minute - what's something you want to see in the TAC Cup this year and also what's something you don't want to see in the TAC Cup this year? Six weeks away from the season, mightn't be too late to give out wishlists out...

I want to see the umpires let the game go. We're not there to see a stop start game of footy caused by touchy little men in orange blowing the whistle every 30seconds. Too many TAC games got ruined by the umpiring last year. Let the guys play!!!

I don't want to see teams full of small blokes and I dont want to see too many gorillas. I'm not at a nursery looking at garden gnomes or at a zoo looking at apes. Hopefully sides are balanced and pick their fair share of draftable players rather than sides just to win games. Rotate things up, let everyone have a go in a number of positions and let them show their stuff. Development rules, winning comes second.

Change tact for a minute - what's something you want to see in the TAC Cup this year and also what's something you don't want to see in the TAC Cup this year? Six weeks away from the season, mightn't be too late to give out wishlists out...

I want to see the umpires let the game go. We're not there to see a stop start game of footy caused by touchy little men in orange blowing the whistle every 30seconds. Too many TAC games got ruined by the umpiring last year. Let the guys play!!!

I don't want to see teams full of small blokes and I dont want to see too many gorillas. I'm not at a nursery looking at garden gnomes or at a zoo looking at apes. Hopefully sides are balanced and pick their fair share of draftable players rather than sides just to win games. Rotate things up, let everyone have a go in a number of positions and let them show their stuff. Development rules, winning comes second.

Yep development does rule! (or so it should).

You asked for it, so here's my wishlist.

1. No listed afl player playing in TAC Cup, if that's developmental I'll go hee.

2.The TAC Cup POTY not necessarily be under 178cm. Umps please have a good lookaround.

3. The coach of the year to recognise and reflect the coaching efforts that year, not a long service award.

4. School footy and TAC footy working a bit closer together.

5. Closer games.

6.Top 8 to continue, as it keeps the season alive longer.

7.Gold Coast to do well.

That might do for a start!

Yep development does rule! (or so it should).

You asked for it, so here's my wishlist.

1. No listed afl player playing in TAC Cup, if that's developmental I'll go hee.

2.The TAC Cup POTY not necessarily be under 178cm. Umps please have a good lookaround.

3. The coach of the year to recognise and reflect the coaching efforts that year, not a long service award.

4. School footy and TAC footy working a bit closer together.

5. Closer games.

6.Top 8 to continue, as it keeps the season alive longer.

7.Gold Coast to do well.

That might do for a start!
1-6 I agree with. As for point 7 - I say STUFF EM!!! They're only stopping off for a one year visit, I want that trophy to stay in Victoria!!!

Some good points IGO. Particularly agree with you on the awards.

Eastern interestingly have 8 players in the first VM U18 squad - the most of the metro teams. Definately them and Gippsland would be the 'market movers' on Chandra's betting board for mine. Do you want to come up with an updated market mate?

Gippsland $2.50- running scared from all the plunges
Eastern $2.50- after a Rd 1 loss to the Gold Coast
Murray $3.10- blown but too good a club to post silly odds on
Geelong $4.50- odds on to rack up more handballs than any other team
Gold Coast $5.00 - what sort of team will they put out during C'ships?
Northern $7.50- Will Pagan modify his style for the softer personalities of kids today?
Oakleigh- $9.00- performace during school comps always interesting
Sandringham $10.00- sleeping giant- will pull out a big year soon
Dandenong $12.00- and produce the Morrish Medal winner
Calder- $15.00- Oh for the glory days!!
Nth Ballarat $15.00- Great spirit will see them win their close games
Bendigo $20.00 - despite having 2008 Coach of the Year
Western- $33.00- Will get the normal reactions form their passionate followers- Need the results to back you up though guys.

What I'd like to see:
- Rotating players- so there's no pigeon-holed fwds/ backs etc.
- APS & AGS Meetings where the schools decide to let some players play some more TAC Cup footy and miss the odd lopsided game of School footy.

Western- $33.00- Will get the normal reactions form their passionate followers- Need the results to back you up though guys.

That's a tad harsh...
The Jets played finals last year in an injury riddled season, and all reports from the camp suggest that the list this year is better than ever.
Spoiled for choice all over the park really with a wealth of talls, quality balls users, pacey and tough midfeilders and genuine goalsneaks.
And rest assured, any side coached by Steve Kretiuk will be a spirited and uncomprimising outfit.
Now with 7-8 VM squad members and 3 guys in the AIS, the jets are no longer the whipping boys of the comp.

That's a tad harsh...
The Jets played finals last year in an injury riddled season, and all reports from the camp suggest that the list this year is better than ever.
Spoiled for choice all over the park really with a wealth of talls, quality balls users, pacey and tough midfeilders and genuine goalsneaks.
And rest assured, any side coached by Steve Kretiuk will be a spirited and uncomprimising outfit.
Now with 7-8 VM squad members and 3 guys in the AIS, the jets are no longer the whipping boys of the comp.
To be fair to Chandra those odds are just a bit of fun. And given the nature of the TAC Cup - with changing squads and the impact of nationals and school footy - anything can end up happening.

I think the Jets have done a great job in the past two years particularly, slowly developing into a team that has the respect of everyone whose involved and watches the competition. And their playing list now seems to have some competitiveness for spots in the team and the players seem to understand the honour of playing TAC Cup footy and the self discipline it requires. But their challenge - as a club - is now to perform in finals. They threw away a top four finish in 2007 and despite being gallant against Dandenong in the final quarter of last years final they still lost.

Arguably, that's all history and it shouldn't matter to this years group. But history can follow clubs in this competition.

The Jets should be competitive in 2009. Decent talls and spine players such as Hartigan, Fitzpatrick, Halloran, Tighe, Ball, Giles and Sneddon. Notman and Sherlock will be good 19 year old contributors. And some of those 17 and 18 year old midfielders who got some exposure during 2008 should be able to contribute and have an influence on games. All that combined with limited impact from school footy should be a recipe for at least a top 8 finish and perhaps a top 4 finish. Anything less would be a failure.

Cachia and castricum possible, and next year Wallis, Conway, Casley and Libatore
cachia needs to lift his form this year alot personally dont think his gotta good enough attitude to turn it around castricum dont think so mate but u never know assuming ur a st kevins person as they all go there
and
as for having jets last overall in peoples betting is pretty much on what most people have them on at the start of each year but hopefully the go well this year

The Gold Coast are remarkably short at $2.10. Don't know if there is much value there
Bendigo will make finals this year, they have 5 boys 190cm+ this includes proctor and lockwood, who are there 19 year olds. They also had 14 bottom age players last year, that played better than expected. It was because they were bottom age that they lost 4-5 games by less than 10 points, and no side really gave them a touch up.

players such as: page, k.geary, martin, jones, j.geary, mckee, arthur, gilmore, craig and bruns will all be fine contributors this year

Also a big issue they have is that they lose 3-4 boys every year who get scholarships at boarding school and leave the system such a Josh free and Davis who was a u/16 rep player and now going to school in Geelong and will line up for falcons this year.

Don't write off Pioneers, with Phil Carman as the new assistant coach, could be the big movers

Bendigo will make finals this year, they have 5 boys 190cm+ this includes proctor and lockwood, who are there 19 year olds. They also had 14 bottom age players last year, that played better than expected. It was because they were bottom age that they lost 4-5 games by less than 10 points, and no side really gave them a touch up.

players such as: page, k.geary, martin, jones, j.geary, mckee, arthur, gilmore, craig and bruns will all be fine contributors this year

Also a big issue they have is that they lose 3-4 boys every year who get scholarships at boarding school and leave the system such a Josh free and Davis who was a u/16 rep player and now going to school in Geelong and will line up for falcons this year.

Don't write off Pioneers, with Phil Carman as the new assistant coach, could be the big movers

I agree bendigo will make the finals with 5 boys over 190. Why are Gold Coast so short on odds?? Also can i have a list of some indigenous players in the tac with a little bit of info
It would be greatly appreicated????

First hit out of the year on saturday between western and northern.

In the main game at 2 pm, the jets went down by about 2 goals which was fair considering the likes of Fitzpatrick, Hartigan, Rayner, Sherlock, Conway and Mckenzie were missing.

Northern were just about full strength and looked sharp and well drilled... Pagan even employed his paddock at one stage in the last quater.

Their forward line looked formiddable at times, Hood and Woods were dynamic together, Cachia looked strong in the centre and Tom Hill was very good as a loose CHB.

For the jets youngster Ben Casley was excellent at CHF and Dion Lawson worked hard all day. Shannon Ball was also good at FF kicking 5.1.

I didn't get to see much of the seconds but the Knights were clear winners, and some of their younger guys look to have a fair bit of size about them.

Majak Daw was a shining light for the Jets with a big second half.

any other matches to report on for the weekend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back