Autopsy Swans v Blues - AFL Rd 10, 2024 - Friday May 17th 7:40pm - (S.C.G.)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The forward line was my biggest concern heading into this season too. But I think what we lack in A grade tall forwards we make up for with goal kicking mids (Heeney, Gulden & Warner kicking nearly 40 between them so far) and also the unpredictability that comes with having such an even spread of goalkickers. In recent years we've been a bit too one dimensional with our forward 50 entires. This year our mids are hitting up targets all over the place and we're often getting multiple cheap goals out the back each game due to our run.

Recent history also shows you don't necessarily need gun key forwards to win the premiership, just a couple of tall targets to create a contest and we have that. It's a no name forward line for sure, but it's effective.
It's a bit like a budget Geelong 2007 (as we had Chapman and SJ who were brilliant) system. Mooney did play well that year but he wasn't a big name key forward. Then we shuffled a bunch of youngsters like Hawkins and Nathan Ablett through there with useful crumbers like Stokes and Varcoe. A resting mid who could find the scoreboard (e.g Bartel or GAJ), but then a conveyor belts of midfielders and utilities who found the scoreboard week in, week out from simply outskilling and outworking opponents.

It can work. The standard of teams in the comp right now isn't high enough to make a functional but workmanlike forward line incompatible with a flag.

So nervous about this game. If the Swans win we go 6 points ahead of our nearest competitor on the ladder, lose and we are so much closer to the pack. Carlton's strong clearance game and their tall forwards worry me.

So nervous about this game. If the Swans win we go 6 points ahead of our nearest competitor on the ladder, lose and we are so much closer to the pack. Carlton's strong clearance game and their tall forwards worry me.
Let me do my best Carlton supporter impression to soothe your nerves:

No Cerra. No Martin. No Cottrell. No Fogarty. No chance.

"But you've still got all of your elite KPPs, and an A grade set of of midfielders/wingmen. Marchbank and Williams are back, while Sydney don't have McCartin to deal with your big forwards..."

I said no chance.

Teams are pretty even and both have the personnel to win the flag this year.

Whichever turns up, kicks straight, brings the pressure and sticks the tackles will win.

Sydney haven't lost to a top 10 side and naturally start as favourites. Id rather Parker in than Campbell - wouldn't mind his hardness and as a genuine option forward of the ball.

I rate Hewett - can shut down and win his own ball but may be a bit slow outside of stoppages to tag the Sydney mids. Will be interesting if either team employs a hard tag.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Best Carlton supporter impression, or best troll impression?

Your obsession is getting a little weird, how long has it been now, a month?
Jeremy you're one of the good ones, let's not fight in public because I make fun of a few of your more extreme cronies! They can speak for themselves and haven't been afraid to continue dishing it out.

Jeremy you're one of the good ones, let's not fight in public because I make fun of a few of your more extreme cronies! They can speak for themselves.

It's Jeremias.

And you said Carlton supporters. I happen to be one.

Troll elsewhere mate.

Sorry Jez.

I want to make it clear to everyone that I wasn't speaking about you. I believe it's against the rules to just tag a bunch of people. Let me know if there's any other issues and have a great night. :)

Might be more your still over there - feel free to whine about a few Carlton supporters as much as you like over there.

Thanks and go Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me do my best Carlton supporter impression to soothe your nerves:

No Cerra. No Martin. No Cottrell. No Fogarty. No chance.

"But you've still got all of your elite KPPs, and an A grade set of of midfielders/wingmen. Marchbank and Williams are back, while Sydney don't have McCartin to deal with your big forwards..."

I said no chance.
You forgot Saad, tsk tsk.

Can the Blues pressure and will themselves to victory? I think they are a shot!

Back