Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think that's why we're a good team, nothing more at this stage. As much as the last three years have felt like a really positive period for us, other than a six or seven week period in the back end of 2022, I don't actually think we've looked like contenders at any other point in those three years.

That's a bad thing if the last three years have been part of a so-called 'window', as it means we've underperformed. It's a good thing if the next three years are part of a so-called windows, as it means we've probably overperformed en route to getting there.

Very interesting times ahead.

Depends what you define as a contender but starting this season beating Melbourne and Collingwood - at the time two of the teams expected to have the best chance of winning the flag - can't really be seen as anything other than 'contender form'.

Depends what you define as a contender but starting this season beating Melbourne and Collingwood - at the time two of the teams expected to have the best chance of winning the flag - can't really be seen as anything other than 'contender form'.
Anyone can have a great few games. Hawks won two in a row last year beating the Bulldogs & the eventual premiers in Collingwood, but finished 16th. Contenders are contenders because they do it most weeks of the season.

Anyone can have a great few games. Hawks won two in a row last year beating the Bulldogs & the eventual premiers in Collingwood, but finished 16th. Contenders are contenders because they do it most weeks of the season.

Well that's why I said it depends on your definition. It's about the context and the time of season in which you have those wins. You said we were contenders in 2022 because of a six week block, that's not 'most weeks' of the season. We're arguably contenders now off the back of a six week block which has seen us go 5-1.

Well that's why I said it depends on your definition. It's about the context and the time of season in which you have those wins. You said we were contenders in 2022 because of a six week block, that's not 'most weeks' of the season. We're arguably contenders now off the back of a six week block which has seen us go 5-1.
I said for a six or seven week period we looked like contenders. Because we actually did it for six or seven weeks and in that time we beat three top four opponents. That is very different to doing it for three weeks and beating one top four opponent. If we can replicate it again and again over the course of the season, we won't just have the form-line of a contender, we'll absolutely be one.

I said for a six or seven week period we looked like contenders. Because we actually did it for six or seven weeks and in that time we beat three top four opponents. That is very different to doing it for three weeks and beating one top four opponent. If we can replicate it again and again over the course of the season, we won't just have the form-line of a contender, we'll absolutely be one.

Yeah ok I think that's a distinction without a difference. To say we only beat one top four opponent ignores the fact that when we played Collingwood they were considered a top four opponent and could well still end up there. I think what this comes back to is - not just you - people desperate to pick apart media analysis, but then complain for weeks on end when no one talks about us. It just gets a bit tired.

People said the same in the past about Gulden, about Warner, about Mills, about Buddy, etc. Heeney's our best player right now but that doesn't mean he'll be our best player in the next five weeks when we might be just as good, maybe even better. It's an insane call to make five weeks into a season, and King should know this better than anyone - just a few weeks ago he was going on about how we have so many weapons that if one doesn't get you, another will. Took two games for him to change his tune.
What makes you think King was speaking of the rest of the season? I felt he was talking about right now... and right now, Heeney's it, mostly I think because Horse believes the others are all good enough to play their roles and support him while he goes wherever he feels the need. How will it last, probably until he is injured, tagged or we have an injury and need him to play somewhere else.

Btw, I'd be amazed if any coaches were planning for three weeks ahead, let alone further... they're all planning for the game in front of them, the next game they'll play.

And let's face it, no coach out there is learning from Kingy... they have people employed to provided them with the all the information they need including stats and analysis to make their own judgements with a much greater knowledge of the team.

With regard to Gulden and/or Warner, Heeney's five years older with more than 100 more games worth of experience, and while they may play a few better games than him, in my view he is still a much better player. Will they be in a year or two? I'm hoping not!

Mills is a different player altogether and not comparable imo.

Buddy was a once in a generation player, and imo, certainly the greatest player of this century!

What makes you think King was speaking of the rest of the season? I felt he was talking about right now... and right now, Heeney's it, mostly I think because Horse believes the others are all good enough to play their roles and support him while he goes wherever he feels the need. How will it last, probably until he is injured, tagged or we have an injury and need him to play somewhere else.

Btw, I'd be amazed if any coaches were planning for three weeks ahead, let alone further... they're all planning for the game in front of them, the next game they'll play.

And let's face it, no coach out there is learning from Kingy... they have people employed to provided them with the all the information they need including stats and analysis to make their own judgements with a much greater knowledge of the team.

With regard to Gulden and/or Warner, Heeney's five years older with more than 100 more games worth of experience, and while they may play a few better games than him, in my view he is still a much better player. Will they be in a year or two? I'm hoping not!

Mills is a different player altogether and not comparable imo.

Buddy was a once in a generation player, and imo, certainly the greatest player of this century!
My problem was not with King thinking Heeney is our best player, but with the sentence "Stop Heeney and you stop Sydney." That's hyperbole at its best.

Which just reinforces to me that it's more than just Heeney that make us a good side.
Of course its more than just 'Heeney that makes us a good side'

But think about it...! Heeney is ranked by champion data as having the best first 5 games to start the season ever (since they've been keeping stats), Heeney is also a loooong way clear in the coaches votes, so is you dont like stats (except your own) then at least acknowledge the AFL coaches know who's playing well. Heeney is also probably winning the brownlow..
So According to the coaches, champion data and the umpires, Heeney is the best player in the game this season.
If you take out the best player (from any team) you will go a long way to beating them

Not sure what your issue is when King suggests Heeney needs to be controlled?

edit.. ps. Ive given a 'thumbs down - dislike' to your posts rather than try and discuss them, as its useless discussing with you, and Ill get a ban.

Last edited:
We’re an even team across the board, in the next month, Errol Gulden could be our best player and the next article could say “Stop Gulden, stop Sydney”.
Of course, but King was talking for this week. Things can change but that's rather obvious.

King can talk as much as he likes. So he’s once again changed his tune on us BFD.
Man is a stat driven hypocrite.

His hypocrisy knows no bounds. 1996 Grand Final slid into Craig O’Brien knees first with O’B’s head over the ball on the ground. Near on took his head off. O’Brien went off the ground ending his and our GF. He presented after the game looking like he went through the windscreen in a road accident. Our one other meeting that year with North Lockett and O’Brien netted 11 between them. Plugger still kicked 6 on one leg in that GF but OB was flat out taken out in a deliberate act by that germ in an attempt to turn that GF around at a stage we were in it up to our eyeballs. Eighteen years later this hypocrite is on his soapbox every time there is head contact calling for long suspensions and lessons to be learned. Granted a bit long winded to get my point across here but the message is the man pisses with the wind and anything he says should be taken with the knowledge that integrity and character will never be a redeeming quality.

King can talk as much as he likes. So he’s once again changed his tune on us BFD.
Man is a stat driven hypocrite.

His hypocrisy knows no bounds. 1996 Grand Final slid into Craig O’Brien knees first with O’B’s head over the ball on the ground. Near on took his head off. O’Brien went off the ground ending his and our GF. Our one other meeting that year with North Lockett and O’Brien netted 11 between them. Plugger still kicked 6 on one leg in that GF but OB was flat out taken out in a deliberate act by that germ in an attempt to turn that GF around at a stage we were in it up to our eyeballs. Eighteen years later this hypocrite is on his soapbox every time there is head contact calling for long suspensions and lessons to be learned. Granted a bit long winded to get my point across here but the message is the man pisses with the wind and anything he says should be taken with the knowledge that integrity and character will never be a redeeming quality.

It's almost like people can change their tune with age, experience and perspective and it not be hypocrisy but growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 yrs ? Let’s get it right ! 28 yrs ago was 1996. Mate I feel old enough already don’t throw on a couple of years please !

'Almost 30 years ago' Reasonably sure 28 is almost 30. :p

I mostly agree with this.

I think there's an element of the media in general (and King in particular) shouting our praises too loudly based off the limited evidence of the first couple of weeks, and now swinging the pendulum too far the other way.

Our last two matches haven't been great, but we only played one really poor quarter in each - the third against the Tigers and the second against the Eagles. Against the Tigers we actually came out strongly at the start of the fourth quarter and were well on top in general play but our delivery forward was poor during that period, and we weren't able to create the scoreboard buffer that our control of the game suggested we should.

And the current Eagles outfit is far stronger than people are giving them credit for. Yeo is fit and in form. Kelly and McGovern are in reasonable form. Reid is growing in confidence. I expect them to give Freo a run for their money this round. Indeed, if I were in a tipping comp this season, I'd lean towards tipping the Eagles.

But inconsistency is playing out across the competition. The Demons had three really good weeks but looked dreadfully flat last weekend. Essendon were awful against Port but fantastic against the Bulldogs, who in turn were poor in that match but blew St Kilda away last night.

There's very little separating most clubs in terms of talent, conditioning and functional game plan. The ability to execute close to maximum ability week after week is largely mental. And it's very hard to do so every single week for 23 rounds of the home and away. Every club is going to have lapses for a game here or there, or even just a quarter here and there that costs a win.

Furthermore, to win a premiership a team needs to adapt as the season goes on - adapt to what's working and what's not; adapt to what other clubs are doing; adapt to injuries; adapt to which players have improved, which are in form, and which are struggling.

GWS and Carlton were awful for most of the first half of last season and yet both narrowly lost preliminary finals. In 2005, at the midway point of the season, we played the most goddamawful game against St Kilda that had Demetriou publicly slamming us. One year in the mid naughties (can't remember which) the Saints won their first twelve games of the season but then went to the movies midweek, lost to us in r13 at the SCG and it was season over for them.

So yes, it's a cliche, but premierships are won in September (occasionally October) and March to August is all about learning and improving.
Liz , you are a legend , absolutely spot on

I love these RedKite auctions the Swans hold - the player portraits done by the kids are really cool.

I’m the proud owner of Campbell & Magor portraits from last year …. and this year I’m aiming for the Lizard

I’d really encourage everyone to place a bid if you can - it’s for a genuinely great cause.

We looked on fire early in 2021, beating Brisbane at the Gabba, Richmond (reigning Premiers) and only dropping one of our first 5 games, by two points to GWS. A heavy round 6 defeat to the Suns was followed by on/off results, often losing close games. Were we were too young or too inexperienced? Whatever, we simply couldn't sustain it.

In 2022 we had a good run with injuries, winning more games but we spent in the end and limped into September.

In 2023 we were hit hard by key player injuries and had to work too hard to reach September, leaving too little in the tank.

The game plan hasn't changed much since the end of 2020/pre-season of 2021. We've stuck with a game plan that relies on fast ball movement, hitting targets and extreme pressure without the ball. We use the corridor when we can or we work harder to spread the ground when the corridor is cut off.

Over the off-season we buffed up our midfield with the intent to i) generate more scores from stoppages and ii) to create more forward half turnovers.

In 2024, I see these top 5 questions for the Swans

1) Do we have the skills to hit targets by foot?

9/10

This a key weapon, especially at larger grounds, but it relies on spreading to create options when the corridor is heavily defended. When we are forced to go wide we should rely on elite kickers like Blakey, Gulden and Campbell to switch play fast and long.

2) Do we have the fitness to maintain extreme pressure and run out games?

7/10

By all accounts we do. We're running out games pretty well but the drop off in pressure of our last two games is disconcerting. It's good to see Wicks back.

3) Do we have the depth to keep winning while resting players during the H&A season?

7/10

With Parker, Mills and Sheldrick still to come back in we've got good competition for spots in most positions.

4) Do we have the self-belief to win close games?

5/10

We ought to, but self-belief is self-fulfilling. Against Richmond, we needed to win. We can't let dodgy umpiring calls kill our momentum.

5) Do we have the forward power to kick a big score in the post-Buddy era?

8/10

Our young key forwards are developing and we have a good spread of scoring options.

6) Do we have the key player depth to cover injuries?

6/10.

It's not such a concern forward but we remain light on key defenders, especially with Rampe, out as he can play tall. Melican in career best form fills me with relief more than admiration. It'd be good to see more pressure on key positions.

5) Do we have the finals experience to get to the big dance (and do the Waltz, Polka and Cha-cha)?

6/10

Geelong in '22 demonstrated why there's no substitute for experience, when they obliterated our young team with the oldest, most experienced finals team to ever grace an AFL final. We've gained more finals experience since '22 but so have other contenders. Heck, even Carlton players have some finals experience.

We looked on fire early in 2021, beating Brisbane at the Gabba, Richmond (reigning Premiers) and only dropping one of our first 5 games, by two points to GWS. A heavy round 6 defeat to the Suns was followed by on/off results, often losing close games. Were we were too young or too inexperienced? Whatever, we simply couldn't sustain it.

In 2022 we had a good run with injuries, winning more games but we spent in the end and limped into September.

In 2023 we were hit hard by key player injuries and had to work too hard to reach September, leaving too little in the tank.

The game plan hasn't changed much since the end of 2020/pre-season of 2021. We've stuck with a game plan that relies on fast ball movement, hitting targets and extreme pressure without the ball. We use the corridor when we can or we work harder to spread the ground when the corridor is cut off.

Over the off-season we buffed up our midfield with the intent to i) generate more scores from stoppages and ii) to create more forward half turnovers.

In 2024, I see these top 5 questions for the Swans

1) Do we have the skills to hit targets by foot?

9/10

This a key weapon, especially at larger grounds, but it relies on spreading to create options when the corridor is heavily defended. When we are forced to go wide we should rely on elite kickers like Blakey, Gulden and Campbell to switch play fast and long.

2) Do we have the fitness to maintain extreme pressure and run out games?

7/10

By all accounts we do. We're running out games pretty well but the drop off in pressure of our last two games is disconcerting. It's good to see Wicks back.

3) Do we have the depth to keep winning while resting players during the H&A season?

7/10

With Parker, Mills and Sheldrick still to come back in we've got good competition for spots in most positions.

4) Do we have the self-belief to win close games?

5/10

We ought to, but self-belief is self-fulfilling. Against Richmond, we needed to win. We can't let dodgy umpiring calls kill our momentum.

5) Do we have the forward power to kick a big score in the post-Buddy era?

8/10

Our young key forwards are developing and we have a good spread of scoring options.

6) Do we have the key player depth to cover injuries?

6/10.

It's not such a concern forward but we remain light on key defenders, especially with Rampe, out as he can play tall. Melican in career best form fills me with relief more than admiration. It'd be good to see more pressure on key positions.

5) Do we have the finals experience to get to the big dance (and do the Waltz, Polka and Cha-cha)?

6/10

Geelong in '22 demonstrated why there's no substitute for experience, when they obliterated our young team with the oldest, most experienced finals team to ever grace an AFL final. We've gained more finals experience since '22 but so have other contenders. Heck, even Carlton players have some finals experience.
Excellent post M. Duck. While our depth has definitely improved it has yet to be shown definitively that our game day quality has done so sustainably over 2022.
Your point 4 is a telling one. Self belief or rock-hard determination? This next stretch of games will tell all.

I love these RedKite auctions the Swans hold - the player portraits done by the kids are really cool.

I’m the proud owner of Campbell & Magor portraits from last year …. and this year I’m aiming for the Lizard

I’d really encourage everyone to place a bid if you can - it’s for a genuinely great cause.

The Blakey one is outstanding (and especially from a four year old).

The other one I really like is Rampe's, because it captures something of his essence, rather than looking as if it could be anyone.

21APR24: Sydney Swans vs Suns Match Reports New

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back