Media Swans Talk in the Media 2022

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
96 Prelim final quarter on Fox Footy now. Watch Wade Chapman show how underrated he was.
Seriously, what a player. A true Blood. A friend of mine nursed him in hospital after another head injury. The docs pleaded with him to give it up or at least rein in his fearless style of play but he knew no other way.

"Get it to Plugger!!" was all any of us were thinking in those dying seconds of the '96 PF. Chappie kept a cool head in some of the hottest footy I've ever witnessed. He knew time was critical, he didn't waste it, but neither could he just blast the ball forwards to where Plugger was fenced in by an army of defenders. He placed the kick to grass at the 50, knowing Plugger was fast enough to get to that space ahead of anyone else (Plugger was lightening over 20m). Chappie gave the kick just the right amount of hang time for an easy mark. He knew Plugger had the range to score from so far out. Plugger seemed to read his mind, sprinting to the fall of the ball with a crowd of defenders in his wake, he took an easy chest mark. Few were ever stupid enough to try to plug a hole in front of Plugger, at 120kg and moving at speed. Plugger's kicked from the edge of the square, probably 60m, but he could easily kick that range without having to strain. He only had to score a behind, so their was no risk he would miss the lot. Those '96 Swans were a slick team, who showed their very best when under pressure. They gave us fans an enormous confidence they could go all the way.

The '96 GF didn't go our way, but still, I'll never forget the feeling of that moment when Plugger kicked that behind. A bunch of us were getting ready to jump the fence even as the ball sailed through. The feeling was magic. The fuse had been lit. We felt something special was coming. We were sure of it, even if we'd have to wait another nine years. The Melbourne media sometimes paints us as fickle. I don't agree. Impatient, sure, but not fickle. Once our Swans are featuring regularly in finals we know it's a matter of when, not if, we'll win another premiership.

Seriously, what a player. A true Blood. A friend of mine nursed him in hospital after another head injury. The docs pleaded with him to give it up or at least rein in his fearless style of play but he knew no other way.

"Get it to Plugger!!" was all any of us were thinking in those dying seconds of the '96 PF. Chappie kept a cool head in some of the hottest footy I've ever witnessed. He knew time was critical, he didn't waste it, but neither could he just blast the ball forwards to where Plugger was fenced in by an army of defenders. He placed the kick to grass at the 50, knowing Plugger was fast enough to get to that space ahead of anyone else (Plugger was lightening over 20m). Chappie gave the kick just the right amount of hang time for an easy mark. He knew Plugger had the range to score from so far out. Plugger seemed to read his mind, sprinting to the fall of the ball with a crowd of defenders in his wake, he took an easy chest mark. Few were ever stupid enough to try to plug a hole in front of Plugger, at 120kg and moving at speed. Plugger's kicked from the edge of the square, probably 60m, but he could easily kick that range without having to strain. He only had to score a behind, so their was no risk he would miss the lot. Those '96 Swans were a slick team, who showed their very best when under pressure. They gave us fans an enormous confidence they could go all the way.

The '96 GF didn't go our way, but still, I'll never forget the feeling of that moment when Plugger kicked that behind. A bunch of us were getting ready to jump the fence even as the ball sailed through. The feeling was magic. The fuse had been lit. We felt something special was coming. We were sure of it, even if we'd have to wait another nine years. The Melbourne media sometimes paints us as fickle. I don't agree. Impatient, sure, but not fickle. Once our Swans are featuring regularly in finals we know it's a matter of when, not if, we'll win another premiership.

Just about the best game ive been to , correct about Chappy what guts and a player

Tom Hickey, Joel Amartey, Hayden McLean and Dane Rampe are the talls out of contract at the end of 2023.

Amartey and McLean couldn’t secure places in the team through the finals and had suitors but nothing happened across the trade period, so will surely wait until late in the year to see where they are in the pecking order.

Lewis Melican is a free agent so if he can’t secure regular games he would have suitors who would pick him up for free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back