Toast Support the Swans AFLW Bid - Swans to be added in 2022-2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

Announcement at midday.

...the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

THE NAB AFLW competition is now whole, with the AFL Commission throwing the door open for Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney to join in the 2022/23 season.

We are in from next season!

It's game on

Awesome news! Although a bit bummed at the news we're looking to play out of Marrickville. Doesn't feel very Swans heartland.
Agree, but ...
I guess lack of facilities at SCG and because of covid surrendering their lease over the Royal Hall of Industries (RHI).

The AFL is pushing for a $7 million redevelopment of the iconic Marrickville venue, where the Newtown Jets have played since 1937, to make it ready for AFLW matches for the Swans’ first season in the competition late next year.

The AFL’s proposal for a refurbished grandstand at Henson Park.

The council also provided a letter of support for the Swans’ AFLW bid submission, which was officially approved on Thursday as they and three other clubs were granted entry to the competition.
Swans chief executive Tom Harley described Henson Park and the plans for female-friendly change rooms and improved media facilities, potentially including broadcast-standard floodlights, as a “really attractive opportunity” for the code

re RHI:
Harley would not speak in detail but said the club was working on “reigniting” that project and had “extremely strong confidence” the Swans would have expanded facilities in time for their first season in the AFLW.

Agree, but ...
I guess lack of facilities at SCG and because of covid surrendering their lease over the Royal Hall of Industries (RHI).

The AFL is pushing for a $7 million redevelopment of the iconic Marrickville venue, where the Newtown Jets have played since 1937, to make it ready for AFLW matches for the Swans’ first season in the competition late next year.

The council also provided a letter of support for the Swans’ AFLW bid submission, which was officially approved on Thursday as they and three other clubs were granted entry to the competition.
Swans chief executive Tom Harley described Henson Park and the plans for female-friendly change rooms and improved media facilities, potentially including broadcast-standard floodlights, as a “really attractive opportunity” for the code

re RHI:
Harley would not speak in detail but said the club was working on “reigniting” that project and had “extremely strong confidence” the Swans would have expanded facilities in time for their first season in the AFLW.

Yeah I guess I'm just being a bit selfish that I would have loved them to use the opportunity to push up North.

Yeah I guess I'm just being a bit selfish that I would have loved them to use the opportunity to push up North.
although for this ol' girl, if she wanted to hop on a plane from south coast to see their first game, Marrickville is not that far in a taxi (says this Melbourne-brn girl who does not know Sydney!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, but ...

re RHI:

Two separate projects. Henson Park for games, RHI for training etc.

Regarding the latter, and although Tom Harley didn't speak in detail, the NSW Minister for Sport said in a letter sent to the AFL last week that the "state of the art centre of excellence is due for completion in August 2022".

Hi guys. Just wondering where do you plan on playing the games seeing most oval grounds in Sydney would be used for cricket. Is there a Swans facility that you guys are building? Cannot wait to see you join the 14 other sides in the AFLW!

Hi guys. Just wondering where do you plan on playing the games seeing most oval grounds in Sydney would be used for cricket. Is there a Swans facility that you guys are building? Cannot wait to see you join the 14 other sides in the AFLW!
I can recommend you check out this post from earlier in the thread:
Two separate projects. Henson Park for games, RHI for training etc.

Regarding the latter, and although Tom Harley didn't speak in detail, the NSW Minister for Sport said in a letter sent to the AFL last week that the "state of the art centre of excellence is due for completion in August 2022".

And also this post from a thread on the main AFLW board:
An upgraded Henson Park has been the obvious option for the Swans' home ground for a while now, but it's good to finally get more of an indication that the wheels are definitely in motion.

Can’t wait for this to happen at the end of next year instead of having to wait until the NAB cup to start re-engaging again with the swans every year.

Wishing 17 year Isadora McLeay, Sydney Swans Academy (and has also participated in the Giants' footy program) player all the best with GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back