Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

On face value, Sidey looks cooked, it might be time to ease him out of the side and let him have a few games teaching kids in the VFL. If he comes good towards the end of the year it's a bonus.
It’s one thing for Steele to struggle, but it’s another for someone underneath to take his spot. As someone concerned about his form I can’t overlook that no one is firmly putting up their hand to relegate him.

On face value, Sidey looks cooked, it might be time to ease him out of the side and let him have a few games teaching kids in the VFL. If he comes good towards the end of the year it's a bonus.

Have too many over 30s lining up each week for mediocre results.

Too many 200 plus gamers… not enough sub 50 gamers

I’d rather mediocre results cause they backed a promising kid like Allan

Than stuck with the same bunch of veterans hoping things will change

1713500526543.jpeg

The sooner they phase a few veterans out… the better shape they’ll be in 2025/26

View attachment 1963920

The sooner they phase a few veterans out… the better shape they’ll be in 2025/26
Is that cup cake last year's flag? If so, keep doing it Bart!

View attachment 1963920

I see you’ve become quite fixated on bottoming out this year - a year where we don’t have our first round pick

I've always disliked playing kids as subs. Sidey could be the perfect sub. Experienced and can make an impact when subbed in and being sub gets him through the hard mid round of the season.

Is that cup cake last year's flag? If so, keep doing it Bart!
WT’s post was a steaming pile, but this isn’t much better from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about the game! What worked last year is not going to win us a flag this year.

WT’s post was a steaming pile, but this isn’t much better from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about the game! What worked last year is not going to win us a flag this year.
Specifically on Steele and his role last year, its amazing how a huge leg up for us last year , our wings output, has turned around with almost every club doing it differently this year and our 23 advantage vanishing.
If i recall correctly, Fagan stated it was his major learning from the 23 GF rewatch/debrief.

How can you be so sure?

Bart and the cupcake was a reference to continually doing the same thing and continually failing ... it's a nonsense call for the reigning premiers - in round 5 - coming off 2 wins. It'll only be tweaks to the system and any tweaks will be done most effectively by the senior pros.

His consistency has been a problem in recent years. I think his best is still very good.
I am expecting a solid game from him tomorrow.

Bart and the cupcake was a reference to continually doing the same thing and continually failing ... it's a nonsense call for the reigning premiers - in round 5 - coming off 2 wins. It'll only be tweaks to the system and any tweaks will be done most effectively by the senior pros.
I agree definitely nonsense. In theory you’re bang on about implementing tweaks, but in practice the results have been below par to this point.

This next three is crucial to it all. On form we should be the outsider in all of them. Drop them and look sub par in the process then it’s crunch time on the tweaks. Win 2 or more and we’re back on track ending this discussion.

I agree definitely nonsense. In theory you’re bang on about implementing tweaks, but in practice the results have been below par to this point.

This next three is crucial to it all. On form we should be the outsider in all of them. Drop them and look sub par in the process then it’s crunch time on the tweaks. Win 2 or more and we’re back on track ending this discussion.
So, lose the next three and we have to change our game plan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, lose the next three and we have to change our game plan?
No*. I have confidence the game plan with tweaking from last year stacks up. The personnel executing it though might need a small shake up… We won’t know until we get to the other side.

*The caveat being what it looks like. If it looks like St Kilda’s last night it might be a different story of players being unable to execute or it not stacking up against the best in 2024. Carlton’s is a good watch because I don’t think what they’re doing stacks up. It’s so arduous when they have the talent to play like GWS or Port.

But Macrae and the suggested Allan will :tearsofjoy:

But Macrae and the suggested Allan will :tearsofjoy:
No, maybe read the post again before jumping in with a half cocked view (paying particular attention to the first part which referred to Whisky’s view as a steaming pile of s**t…).

I’m open to Macrae making it, but I’m not a fan. Allan’s currently a long way back…

I'd almost say 10 based on his durability + more outside style of gameplay which should hold his body in good stead. Seems like he'd still have the hunger for it too.

As for the OP, as plenty have stated he's been 'elite' for a while. I personally judge 'elite' by position, and for midfielders as the top 30 by that position, and he's been towards the back of that group for a while. If he plays like he has in his three games this year consistently he'll be pushing top 15, or even top 10 IMO.

Reckon Bard was close enough here :)

Premiership player 2010, 2023
Player of the finals series 2018 (as voted by the coaches)
2 time Copeland trophy winner (one in an almost Premiership year)
Anzac Day Medallist
2nd most games played for Collingwood Football Club
All Australian 2018
Was Collingwood co-vice captain 2015 - 2021
2nd 2018 Brownlow Medal.

No matter your opinion of him, there are few who have had such a career at Collingwood.
When he does go he will be missed.

Absolute legend of the club, but he’s returning back to his 2019-2021 form. Understandable considering his age, however if this trend continues then this might have to be his last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back