Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Steele is a legend of the club and gets extended credits with his heroics last year. Appears cooked but has in the past and came through. Harrison looked good but and will be a good prospect
Agree I am one of his biggest defenders but today was a shocker sadly (along with a few others).

He is cooked. The question whether McRae is ruthless enough to replace him now or will he carry him for the rest of the season.

If he does carry him, he needs a new role. Probably half forward.

It’s one thing for Steele to struggle, but it’s another for someone underneath to take his spot. As someone concerned about his form I can’t overlook that no one is firmly putting up their hand to relegate him.

Harrison came on and had 7 possessions in the last and kicked a goal, there is a bit of pressure on Steele's spot. Look, guys a champion and we all love him, but we all face that time when we've run out of time.

As much as it's hard time for sidey to be eased out of the side he was no where today ,time to give the kids a chance
I couldn’t believe in that last quarter that he was sent into the middle for centre bounces a few times considering how poor his game was. Dont think Essendon lost a centre clearance in the quarter.

This could be his Final Season

Yep agree here TD, I think he's just about done. If he's not getting it on the wing, we can't really hide him anywhere else. He's too slow to play half forward, not good enough defensively to play half back. A bit worried about what to expect from him for the rest of the year honestly.

Yep agree here TD, I think he's just about done. If he's not getting it on the wing, we can't really hide him anywhere else. He's too slow to play half forward, not good enough defensively to play half back. A bit worried about what to expect from him for the rest of the year honestly.
I recommend you read Fly’s comment about Steele in the post match interview.

I love Steele. Sad to see this happening but he’s appearing to now be outstaying his welcome.
He’s fallen off the cliff over the preseason I think.
The reality is, he’s not doing enough to hold a spot in the side. He’s getting games because of who he is, not his current form.

Could McCreery be a wingman? I see him as having potential as an inside mid.

I don’t believe we need McCreery in the forward line now with Schultz, Elliot, Hill all there. I’d prefer Reef for a bit more height.

So maybe McCreery can play Steele role.

I love Steele. Sad to see this happening but he’s appearing to now be outstaying his welcome.
The reality is, he’s not doing enough to hold a spot in the side. He’s getting games because of who he is, not his current form.

I don’t believe we need McCreery in the forward line now with Schultz, Elliot, Hill all there. I’d prefer Reef for a bit more height.

It doesn’t sound like you love him.

It’s one thing for Steele to struggle, but it’s another for someone underneath to take his spot. As someone concerned about his form I can’t overlook that no one is firmly putting up their hand to relegate him.
But there may be.
It doesn’t need to be a straight like for like player. Also, don’t confuse previous performances of a club champion with current output. If Sidey doesn’t rebound from that performance, it wouldn’t be difficult to get someone to play his role and provide a better contest.

We can shuffle the players around. For instance WE could move tot he wing and McInnes come in as a forward.

Can Crisp play wing and bring HH in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely a bloke can have an indifferent start to the season. I won't be writing off Sidey just yet. There is no one to replace him anyway. He could have been carrying a niggle, who knows. I'm more concerned about replacing him with someone like HH as he doesn't have the runs on the board yet. In hindsight, I would've started him sub

It doesn’t sound like you love him.
He’s finished. Nothing wrong with accepting that a player’s best is well past him. Found something the last two years under Fly after he looked done under Bucks. Just get over yourself mate. Fly isn’t going to tell the whole world the truth and write a champion off in his post game presser.

But there may be.
It doesn’t need to be a straight like for like player. Also, don’t confuse previous performances of a club champion with current output. If Sidey doesn’t rebound from that performance, it wouldn’t be difficult to get someone to play his role and provide a better contest.

We can shuffle the players around. For instance WE could move tot he wing and McInnes come in as a forward.

Can Crisp play wing and bring HH in?
I think you’d be advised to not take one post as a stance on a player…

That was a comment a week ago as a harkback to comments from two weeks prior where I suggested Steele goes out v Port in favour of HH. Yesterday I would have subbed Steele not Mitchell club chose run over contest it didn’t pan out, but it doesn’t really change that no one is demanding selection underneath.

Last edited:
This could be his Final Season

The club will need to make a choice at the end of the season. On current form, l doubt Sidey gets another contract with us, and hopefully he decides to hang them up, and not play for another club for one season. Finish as a one club legend.

We have a few 30 year olds, but we cant transition out alot of them at once. The two that l would look at the end of this season, are Sidebottom and WHE.

The club will need to make a choice at the end of the season. On current form, l doubt Sidey gets another contract with us, and hopefully he decides to hang them up, and not play for another club for one season. Finish as a one club legend.

We have a few 30 year olds, but we cant transition out alot of them at once. The two that l would look at the end of this season, are Sidebottom and WHE.
I’d have Howe ahead of WHE at the moment.
He seems to have also had a rapid decline over the offseason.
I don’t know what it’s like, to be older, where your body doesn’t quite do what it used to, and having just won a premiership, the ultimate goal, to push through and still play your best footy. I can imagine it’s harder to motivate to push through the pain etc, when you’ve just achieved your ultimate goal.

I’d have Howe ahead of WHE at the moment.
He seems to have also had a rapid decline over the offseason.
I don’t know what it’s like, to be older, where your body doesn’t quite do what it used to, and having just won a premiership, the ultimate goal, to push through and still play your best footy. I can imagine it’s harder to motivate to push through the pain etc, when you’ve just achieved your ultimate goal.

I think Howe will get another year, only because we have a dearth of key/intercept defenders, unless we trade in a back from another club eg. Taylor from GWS or an Eyre really comes on in the second half of the season and plays decent senior footy. I would keep Howe to help fast track guys like Eyre, Jiath, Dean.....

I couldn’t believe in that last quarter that he was sent into the middle for centre bounces a few times considering how poor his game was. Dont think Essendon lost a centre clearance in the quarter.
Yeah it was a strange decision to sub out Titch and leave Sidey out there considering he had barely touched the footy for 3 quarters. HH did well when he came on though

I don't know what to make of Steele's game. He wasn't stuffing up like his first few this year. He was just barely involved. I doubt he was running the wrong patterns, was him not touching it on the wing just a product of us moving it so directly - straight up the guts?

I don't know what to make of Steele's game. He wasn't stuffing up like his first few this year. He was just barely involved. I doubt he was running the wrong patterns, was him not touching it on the wing just a product of us moving it so directly - straight up the guts?
Was it 3 free kicks he gave away too?
He could barely get involved, which wasn’t like him. But then when he was, he infringed. Just a dirty day.

He’s having more bad games than good this season ☹️

Steele was poor yesterday but had plenty of mates.
Certainly wouldn't be sacking him based on this game, particularly as he probably had his best games for the year 5 days earlier.
Similar to WHE - BOG last week and barely sighted yesterday.... maybe the shorter break contributed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back