Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

A belated happy 33rd birthday to Steele Sidebottom. His birthday was yesterday. What a champion. Played in 5 grand finals and a 2-time premiership player.

I love how every time I hear about this 103m kick it seemingly gets longer still. It’s as though in kicking the ball 105m, Steele has opened up our minds to the limits of human potential… for kicking a drop punt 109m… which he no doubt did when he kicked the ball 112m.

Ah Sides..............

Two way gut running pro, runs his opponents into the ground actually, (yeah I'm talkin bout all duck no dinner Langdon, our Langdon was better btw) exquisitely skilled on both sides of his body, cool and calm in traffic and contest.

One of the sharpest minds that crosses the white line.

Reminds of some other bloke with similar attributes, can't put my finger on it, another Pies legend apparently, some basketball bloke.

Ah Sides..............
Two way gut running pro, runs his opponents into the ground actually, (yeah I'm talkin bout all duck no dinner Langdon, our Langdon was better btw) exquisitely skilled on both sides of his body, cool and calm in traffic and contest.
One of the sharpest minds that crosses the white line.

Reminds of some other bloke with similar attributes, can't put my finger on it, another Pies legend apparently, some basketball bloke.
Tom Wilson?
Not sure his football skills were comparable, though.
:p

I'd had enough of Steele by the end of 2021... played flat, ineffective footy that year. Father time had caught up with him. Great player for our club but the time had come to wind it all up.

What an incredible two years he's added since. The quintessential big game Collingwood player. An unbelievable presence in the biggest of games, topped off by the of the great grand final moments. Now absolutely sealed as one of the all time Collingwood greats. I love Steele. He's still in my top 2 or 3 wingers in the league. I have him a top 5 player of importance to us still.

God I love being proven wrong as a pessimist.

I'd had enough of Steele by the end of 2021... played flat, ineffective footy that year. Father time had caught up with him. Great player for our club but the time had come to wind it all up.

What an incredible two years he's added since. The quintessential big game Collingwood player. An unbelievable presence in the biggest of games, topped off by the of the great grand final moments. Now absolutely sealed as one of the all time Collingwood greats. I love Steele. He's still in my top 2 or 3 wingers in the league. I have him a top 5 player of importance to us still.

I’ve nearly made a career out of writing players off too early. But the off field changes at Collingwood revived players like Sidey. Didn’t hurt Pendles, Elliott or even Cox for that matter. (Cox being another one I’d written off at the end of ‘21).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You did well to last to 2021. There were mouth breathers on this forum saying we should trade Steele in 2017 using the age old Big Footy justification of “he won’t be in our next premiership team”.

You don’t just trade away players like Steele. He proved why in the dying minutes of the GF when he kicked that 125m goal ( The Royal Sampler )

You did well to last to 2021. There were mouth breathers on this forum saying we should trade Steele in 2017 using the age old Big Footy justification of “he won’t be in our next premiership team”.

You don’t just trade away players like Steele. He proved why in the dying minutes of the GF when he kicked that 125m goal ( The Royal Sampler )

Sure did. Let’s hope Ned can one day play for us, and roost 128m goals to seal premierships, like his old man.

Sure did. Let’s hope Ned can one day play for us, and roost 128m goals to seal premierships, like his old man.
I personally am looking forward to him sealing Collingwood premiership number 34 in his debut season at 18.

Smart thinking Steele! Naming your new son after the club's C.E.O. should get you another year or two on your contract.
It's funny how a lot of our players children/newborns have been named with Pie connections.

Pendle's daughter named Darcy.
Fly's daughter named Maggie.
Crisp's daughter named Murphy.
Steele's son named Ned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back