Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

After a very brief check, I believe you are correct. The closest I can find is when Geelong and North Melbourne played each other in round 11, 1972. Both teams went in to battle with 11-game losing streaks.
The Geelong v North Melbourne game in Round 11 of 1972 was the first one I thought of too.

There was also the North Melbourne v South Melbourne clash in Round 17 of the same year. North entered the game with a 0-16 record. South had won its opening game of 1972 with a win over Geelong and had also beaten North in its Round 6 clash but had not won since. So, going into round 17, South was on a 10-game losing streak and had lost 14 of its previous 15 games. North came from behind at three-quarter time to record a 9-point win - its only win of the year.

Neither team won again for the year, with North finishing last at 1-21 and South second last at 2-20.

North went out over the summer and secured Ron Barassi as coach (as well as players via the 10-year rule) which resulted in a great improvement in 1973, a Grand Final appearance in 1974 and the club's first Premiership in 1975.

South ended 1972 on a 16-game losing streak and continued to lose its first 13 games in 1973 before beating Geelong in Round 14. South's 29 game losing streak is the 5th longest in V/AFL history but has not been beaten since. Fitzroy (1995-1996), Gold Coast (2011-2012) and GWS (2012-2013) all got to 21 consecutive losses.

The Geelong v North Melbourne game in Round 11 of 1972 was the first one I thought of too.

There was also the North Melbourne v South Melbourne clash in Round 17 of the same year. North entered the game with a 0-16 record. South had won its opening game of 1972 with a win over Geelong and had also beaten North in its Round 6 clash but had not won since. So, going into round 17, South was on a 10-game losing streak and had lost 14 of its previous 15 games. North came from behind at three-quarter time to record a 9-point win - its only win of the year.

Neither team won again for the year, with North finishing last at 1-21 and South second last at 2-20.

North went out over the summer and secured Ron Barassi as coach (as well as players via the 10-year rule) which resulted in a great improvement in 1973, a Grand Final appearance in 1974 and the club's first Premiership in 1975.

South ended 1972 on a 16-game losing streak and continued to lose its first 13 games in 1973 before beating Geelong in Round 14. South's 29 game losing streak is the 5th longest in V/AFL history but has not been beaten since. Fitzroy (1995-1996), Gold Coast (2011-2012) and GWS (2012-2013) all got to 21 consecutive losses.

One of the most spectacular cases of sides on long losing streaks meeting was in the VFL in Round 13 2002, and the game between Frankston and Bendigo. Home team Frankston Dolphins came in on a losing streak of 13 matches, from the 2001 First Semi Final to Round 12 2002 inclusive, but opponents the Bendigo Diggers brought into the match a mind-boggling 34 match losing streak. Bendigo had lost their last two games of 2000 (this following their only win that year), lost all 20 matches in 2001 and like their opponents Frankston had lost the opening 12 matches of 2002.

Frankston had copped some heavy defeats in 2002 from the better teams, but in other matches had been more competitive, unlike Bendigo which had been thrashed week in, week out so far. So what happened in this game? Perhaps not surprisingly, the Dolphins buried the Diggers by 78-points.

Brent Harvey and Dustin Fletcher opposed each other on 22 occasions. I presume this would be the league record? Is anybody able to produce a top 10?

What's Geelong's W-L record at their home ground under lights?

The only time I can recall them losing under lights at their s**t hole of a ground was 2021 when Gawn kicked a goal after the siren. Even then it took no crowd to achieve that, and I daresay if there was a crowd, the Cats would have won.

Brent Harvey and Dustin Fletcher opposed each other on 22 occasions. I presume this would be the league record? Is anybody able to produce a top 10?

I don't know when this list was done (or who created it (might've been RonTheBear) ) but this is down to 25 games as opponents.

1691369647848.jpeg

Strong chance that the most meetings as opponents will be players who played a lot of footy in the 12-team era (guaranteed two matchups a season) and also the finals series up to 1992 where double meetings were common. Indeed as with the post about Hawthorn's record against sides since 1975 i made in another thread, the Hawks and Kangaroos played two finals against each other every years from 1974-1978. So there's every chance that Tuck, Matthews, Schimmelbusch and Dench for example may have played up to 20 matchups in those seasons alone!

Even the longest careers of players nowadays will make matching those numbers hard, eg Selwood and Pendlebury as an example both 350+ games and regular finalists. Selwood played 27 games against Collingwood, so a maximum matchup against Pendles of only 27.

I'm sure this has been covered previously so I apologise in advance.

What’s the record for most number of goals without a behind?

Do you mean for an entire match, or do you mean the longest streak of goals before a behind, as with Sydney last round where they kicked 12 goals before registering their first behind of the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mean for an entire match, or do you mean the longest streak of goals before a behind, as with Sydney last round where they kicked 12 goals before registering their first behind of the game?
Start of a match until a behind is scored.

Swamp answered it anyway.

Adelaide in 2021.

An interesting question I'm not sure has been answered.
In Round 22, 2019, Ben Brown kicked 10 goals. I believe he's the only player to kick double digits with a jumper number that's 50 or higher, but that's not the question.

If you were to replace each goal with the kicker's jumper number, Ben Brown would've been responsible for a total of 500 (No. 50, 10 goals). The total for North Melbourne that day was 708.

That's not the highest total. Geelong's 37.17.239 game in 1992 had a total of 715. Sydney's 36.20.236 game in 1987 had a total of 740. But I believe I found the highest total.

With Adrian McAdam and John Longmire wearing high numbers and combining for 19 goals (in fact, they combined for 725), as well as lots of other high jumper numbers kicking multiple goals, North Melbourne recorded a staggering total of 1023.

A close second I found was Footscray's record-breaking total of 33.15.213 in 1978, which had a total of 920 (Templeton kicking 15 with number 31 on his back, and Ian Dunstan kicking 7 while wearing number 32).

Has there ever been another total of 1000?

Can someone explain how Bernie went from part time goal kicker to 100 goals in a season?

View attachment 1788393
He went to full-time.
I'm kidding.
But from what I've read, he was mainly a centre half-forward who could also play in the backline.

So, here's my guess:

Robert Walls took over coaching duties in 1981 after Fitzroy's dismal 1980 season and decided to clean up the list by getting rid of old blokes. Out went Beecroft (returning to WA), Irwin, Richardson and Thompson. With leading goalkicker Beecroft going home, Walls decided to keep Quinlan around and dropped him into Beecroft's spot where he made an immediate impact: 73 goals and a Brownlow. Fitzroy wound up making finals but could never get the premiership, and ultimately Walls left to coach Carlton in 1986 with greater success.

He went to full-time.
I'm kidding.
But from what I've read, he was mainly a centre half-forward who could also play in the backline.

So, here's my guess:

Robert Walls took over coaching duties in 1981 after Fitzroy's dismal 1980 season and decided to clean up the list by getting rid of old blokes. Out went Beecroft (returning to WA), Irwin, Richardson and Thompson. With leading goalkicker Beecroft going home, Walls decided to keep Quinlan around and dropped him into Beecroft's spot where he made an immediate impact: 73 goals and a Brownlow. Fitzroy wound up making finals but could never get the premiership, and ultimately Walls left to coach Carlton in 1986 with greater success.
Sometimes a certain player develops a rapport with a forward that really clicks for a season or fair portion of it...with Quinlan for example, I notice that Les Parish and Leon Harris often had higher disposal tallies in the games BQ "kicked a bag."

Wonder if Quinlan has ever mentioned in an interview if players such as those two made a difference to his success ?

Can someone explain how Bernie went from part time goal kicker to 100 goals in a season?

View attachment 1788393
Bernie was basically a CHF who also played CHB and rucked a bit until the end of 1982. And West Aussie Bob Beecroft was the full forward between 1977 and 1980 kicking 59, 65, 87 and 63 goals in those 4 seasons and was Fiztroy's leading goal kicker in those 4 seasons.

Have a look at his stats in his Brownlow year 1981, 332 kicks and 116 handballs. They aren't the stats of a full forward. He only had 48 handballs in 1984 when he kicked 105 goals.

He was 31 at the end of the 1982 season and Walls thought his days as a roaming CHF were over and he was better value deeper in the forward line. Pretty sure Gary Sidebottom became the CHF in 1983 and eventually Richard Osborne over Bernie's last couple of years.

Last edited:
.....Out went Beecroft (returning to WA), Irwin, Richardson and Thompson. With leading goalkicker Beecroft going home, .....
Bob actually went to SA and played for Woodville in 1981 rather than return to WA. he was headed home but Woodville lured him away from returning toSwan Districts. I remember seeing him kick a bag one day when I went to the footy with my mate, as he barracked for North Adelaide and it was when we had a bye in year 12 footy and could go watch a SANFL match.

Bernie Quinlan made his debut for Footscray against Fitzroy. When he debuted for Fitzroy his first game was in round 8, 1978 against Carlton. If he had been made to wait one more week he would have debuted for Fitzroy against Footscray. Are there any two-club players who made both debuts against the other club?

Bernie Quinlan made his debut for Footscray against Fitzroy. When he debuted for Fitzroy his first game was in round 8, 1978 against Carlton. If he had been made to wait one more week he would have debuted for Fitzroy against Footscray. Are there any two-club players who made both debuts against the other club?
Ollie Henry this season for one.

Another question is has a three-or-more-club player done it multiple times?

Dale Kickett played for West Coast in 1991, then debuted for St Kilda against West Coast in 1992. He then debuted for Essendon in 1994 against West Coast. I wouldn't count it as a pure case since Kickett had been once removed from West Coast after joining Essendon.

George Dougherty is close. In 1936, he was cleared from Carlton to Geelong and debuted against his old club two weeks after playing for them. He then went to Footscray while Geelong was out of the league due to the war, then returned to Geelong in 1944, re-debuting against Footscray. Again, I don't count this one because he'd already played for Geelong earlier.

Last edited:
Who was the last 17 year old to play AFL? Brad Ebert is the most recent I can find, and did The AFL change their policies to only allow 18+?

Pendlebury and Sidebottom are now dual Collingwood Premiership players - and well done to them

Who would have been the last Coll player to achieve that - Murray Weideman would definitely be 1 - perhaps there are a few others who also did the 53-58 double ?

And going right back there would be plenty - and one of them because he had a public profile ( TV) was Bruce Andrew - read this years ago - but the bloke from champion kick fame - and also had that hair immacutely parted dead centre - but from memory he played in 2 Coll flag winning winning sides . Had an interesting career - only played the 60 odd games - something happened in an off season - or a teenager - dived into a swimming pool and hurt his neck or something - and that hindered his career a bit

Pendlebury and Sidebottom are now dual Collingwood Premiership players - and well done to them

Who would have been the last Coll player to achieve that - Murray Weideman would definitely be 1 - perhaps there are a few others who also did the 53-58 double ?

And going right back there would be plenty - and one of them because he had a public profile ( TV) was Bruce Andrew - read this years ago - but the bloke from champion kick fame - and also had that hair immacutely parted dead centre - but from memory he played in 2 Coll flag winning winning sides . Had an interesting career - only played the 60 odd games - something happened in an off season - or a teenager - dived into a swimming pool and hurt his neck or something - and that hindered his career a bit
I was thinking exactly the same thought, it's been over 60 years since dual Collingwood premiership players have existed, and indeed despite the short time span between '53 and '58, there's only three. Thorold Merrett, Michael Twomey, and Murray Weideman, who played his 5th career game in the 1953 Flag. In a sign of the time then, in much younger lists, the oldest player for the Pies in 1958 was Peter Lucas, two months shy of his 29th birthday, but he missed out on the 1953 Flag despite playing in the winning 2nd Semi.

Collingwood's 1958 Flag side had an average age just under 23 years.....this season Collingwood's average age would be 27 years 9 months.

May beg another question, would any side winning a Flag five seasons apart have as few as three players only in both sides?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back