Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2011 Mock Draft (Edited for final selections)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Snoops 2011 Mock Draft

Great job again, always look forward to your Phantom's.

For West Coast's selections, I'm hoping to select a tall with #23. Best available out of the remaining players in this order: 1) Manson 2) Lockyer 3) McInnes 4) Kersten.
Then with #28 I want Murray Newman, I'm a big fan.

Also, what are your thoughts on James Batterham if you've heard of him?

Would love Murray Newman at 28.

23 any of those 4 would like a Lockyer or maybe a Markworth.

Bye the way thanks snoop great read.

@Snoop Mitchell number 1? Over Coniglio and Patton in this draft? :eek: Why?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say if he took the GWS kids out?

I was jetlagged when I read it though.

I thought he meant the kids already taken by GWS, the 12 preselections.

Woot!!! Been waiting for this. Thanks Snoop. Why do you rate Grigg so much higher than most other phantom drafters? Do you think GWS will back off of him because of his lacking physical attributes i.e. speed
I do like our first 2 picks :)

I think GWS will be less interested in him bc they have a few already like him. GWS list lacks players with explosive pace I think and hence think they may aim up for that first. Grigg is a bit more in the mould of Coniglio and Wingard.

Few comments...

Found this interesting, because it's on the basis of his games for Norwood that I have dropped him down the order. Really, he should have been a mainstay in their league side but for some reason he wasn't. He tends to play his own game from what I've seen, and his reading of the play involves running to space to get a cheap kick.

This kid is different...that's what I always say when a similar player to previous sliders come up. :p

Maybe I'll get caught out again with Newman (Rankine) and Kelly (Wilson, Monaco) but I'll stick with them regardless. On the flip side, maybe that's why I'm rating Devon Smith higher than usual (Prestia).

Was wondering when Frost would feature. I know you were very keen on him last year. I still like him too, I have him more as a rookie though.

Good to see someone else having Jordan Murdoch getting picked up. I really like, and he surprises me every time I see him play. I would gladly take him, and then his brother next year.

Was also pleased to see Tom Lee and Brendan Ah Chee feature. Big fan of those two.

On first look, it seems you covered everyone else in the unlucky section. So again, great work. My mock draft is now like the under-performing little bro
ther of yours. :)

RE GRIGG - beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I really liked his games for Norwood and wasnt peturbed when dropped back to Reserves late. Norwood had a great mid group and no shame there. he also got BOG a week later. You probably see him more and appears conscensus with you but happy to wait 3 years and see.

RE SMITH - prestia is what gave me the confidence to take Smith high as well. Why I slid Smith back a bit is that he can sometimes be hit and miss. I saw a lot of him last year as well though and have been impressed for a long time with him

RE FROST - he could well be. particularly if they think nobody else is keen.

RE MURDOCH - Am a massive fan of his Chris25 and could probably be accussed for tanking him into our pick

Great job again, always look forward to your Phantom's.

For West Coast's selections, I'm hoping to select a tall with #23. Best available out of the remaining players in this order: 1) Manson 2) Lockyer 3) McInnes 4) Kersten.
Then with #28 I want Murray Newman, I'm a big fan.

Also, what are your thoughts on James Batterham if you've heard of him?

West perth midfielder player in Colts who seemingly went ok. have heard name mentioned but dont know well enough to comment.

I'd really hope we pick O'Hanlon at 55 if he's there. Seems to be some consensus elsewhere that Sydney like him, possibly at 43

Would it be right to say that Grigg's position will be about the most fascinating of the draft? Would expect dons (19) and Freo (20) to look very closely

For me the most interesting (in order) are;

1. Manson
2. Grigg
3. Frost
4. Newman
5. the order of the CHF / FF types (Kersten, Dobosz, McInness, Murphy, Gordon, Sheehan, Hamling etc)

Grigg intrigues me. His kicking is part of the cream of this draft, but he's missing attributes to be either outside or inside effective at AFL for me.

Frost - We're on par here. He'll go, but I think early rookie....unless someone cottons onto interest. He's more underdeveloped mentally (footy IQ) than his brother, but his athletic tools are very good.

@UpTheGuts I'm not sure why people are assigning Sydney to O'Hanlon, from what I've read on here he is a medium marking forward which is something we really do not need at the moment with TDL in the squad.

In my opinion we would be looking at an outside midfielder and KPD with our two live picks. But if they're not there, they're not there :(

@Snoop Mitchell number 1? Over Coniglio and Patton in this draft? :eek: Why?

dont fret - what i was saying was that I rate him that highly and hence what a bargain they got.

Grigg intrigues me. His kicking is part of the cream of this draft, but he's missing attributes to be either outside or inside effective at AFL for me.

Frost - We're on par here. He'll go, but I think early rookie....unless someone cottons onto interest. He's more underdeveloped mentally (footy IQ) than his brother, but his athletic tools are very good.

he is going to be of interest but i will happily judged down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed and agility is something he already had as well. Has a nice fame to put on weight, which he needs to do. His issues relate more around his kicking and decision making as well as his understanding of the KPD role. When to front, when to peel off, push up, drop back, all that. He's still learning, but he wants to.

Speed and agility is something he already had as well. Has a nice fame to put on weight, which he needs to do. His issues relate more around his kicking and decision making as well as his understanding of the KPD role. When to front, when to peel off, push up, drop back, all that. He's still learning, but he wants to.

It seems that this kid may be a bit overrated if he has this much to learn, (then add injury concern), regardless of how much up side!

Snoop, Fantastic stuff.

On the Hawks:
I would have thought Kersten was not a player type we are after considering we traded for the highly rated Gunston. Also, reading your ideas on Tom Curran it suggest he would be a better fit for the Hawks at 38.

Snoop has him in the 40's, others don't have him.......this is a very thin draft, can't see where he's being overated.

It would be amazing if every club posted their rough rankings list just to see the difference in the ratings between clubs. I can see positions 15-60 on clubs boards being wildly different based on needs and thoughts.

As I've said before, roughly the top 1-15 look rather good, then it starts coming down to perception. You may get a player or two slipping down to pick 16-20 as GWS will draft a little for needs and position. I think Brisbane and Fremantle may get a little lucky with a quality player slipping to their picks due to the strange situation we're in this year with GWS.

BigFooty ends up having a little heard mentality. Most people are getting their information from roughly the same sources and naturally get influenced by each other, plu the media.

You watch names like Tomlinson getting moved up in the mock drafts as media reports where they may get drafted. Watching Grigg drop down the mocks due to a wave of perception change. (I had Grigg super high until I found out more information and have also moved him down).

Fantastic as always Snoop.

I haven't been able to follow this years draft pool but I will refer to this when the real stuff begins!

# 4 GWS - Bill Longer (Northern Knights / 202 / 95 / 93)

Do you think that Port or Brisbane will select Longer? If they would not select him, then I can see GWS rolling the dice and slipping him down the order.
# 8 Brisbane – Mitch Grigg (Norwood / 181 / 85 / 93)

I was on this guys bandwagon for a while as well. Just hearing some Port old timers and many other watchers pushing him down the order has got me thinking he may slide. He has a few too many question marks in my eyes to go this high now.

# 9 GWS – Todd Elton (Dandenong / 197 / 92 / 93)
This guy has elements of Hampson in my eyes, without the height. He is too short for a ruckman and not good enough to be a forward. (In my eyes).
He has hands like Hampson at times and does not judge the flight of the ball. He has the ability to run under the ball or get pushed under the ball too easily. If anyone was going to take this risk, then GWS I guess would be the team. Still not my cup of tea here.

# 11 GWS – Matt Buntine (Dandenong / 188 / 85 / 93)

I agree with you a little on Buntine, but my VFL watchers keep telling me that this guy is good. So I will bow to their greater judgement, but I have Buntine down a little on my radar.

# 14 GWS – Myles Bolger (South Frem / 201 / 90 / 93)

I just struggle to see this guy in the top 20, let alone the GWS taking two rucks this high. Just not the biggest fan and could easily see this guy slipping a little.

# 15 Richmond – Elliott Kavanagh (Western Jets / 187 / 78 / 93)
This guy will cause a few clubs to question when to take the risk. Hopefully he does better than Swift risk.

# 28 West Coast - Zyrus (Waylen) Manson (Claremont / 195 / 80 / 93)
Cannot wait for the draft to start so I don't have to constantly listen to people talk about this guy. If he gets drafted too high, I can see the pressure and expectation being way too high. He dominates at the moment due to the level of football he is playing and his ability to out jump and out run his opponents. AFL he will not get the same benefits, so it will be interesting to see how long and if he can adjust.

These are just some of the more interesting points of your draft.

ROUND TWO

# 36 Melbourne – Elliott Yeo (East Fremantle / 188 / 82 / 93)
I'm jumping on this bandwagon. Even if the only football of his I got to watch was earlier in the year and I was not massively impressed, but he seemed to have a good end to the season. The Sharks produce stars, so jump on board.

# 37 St Kilda – Marley Williams (Claremont / 181 / 85 / 93)
Well worth a role of the dice somewhere from 35-70.

# 38 Hawthorn – Shane Kersten (South Fremantle / 191 / 90 / 93)

Maybe W.A bias, but this kid has got something. I really like his ability and at this point in the draft, you could do a lot worse. I think he may actually go a little higher than this, but who knows with the talls this year.

# 42 St Kilda – Tom Curran (Oakleigh / 195 / 86 / 93)
What I've heard is the Hawks thought he was a little too slow and had the turning circle of the Queen Mary... so who knows.

# 45 Port Adelaide – Josh Waldhunter (Central Districts / 183 / 83 / 93)
Interesting to see you dropping this guy. He will provide me with some interest as to where he will drop in this draft.

# 48 Geelong – Clay Smith (Gippsland Power / 180 / 82 / 93)
Ouch, not sure what this kid has done to you, but surely he goes higher than this? He will win more contests than he loses and we live in a contested football generation.

My rough thoughts on your second round.

It seems that this kid may be a bit overrated if he has this much to learn, (then add injury concern), regardless of how much up side!

There is no 'Injury Concern'. The problem has now been fixed. Very 'trendy' operation to have at the moment. It seems everyone is doing it. :eek:

Thx for your time and effort Snoop a great read.

# 21 Sydney – Tom Mitchell (Father / Son)
A ripper – I would have him #1 in this draft and would have had him in top 3 if you were to include the GWS kids.

Interested to know who u think might have gone picks 1 and 2 if the GWS kids had been included in this draft?

Snoop, Fantastic stuff.

On the Hawks:
I would have thought Kersten was not a player type we are after considering we traded for the highly rated Gunston. Also, reading your ideas on Tom Curran it suggest he would be a better fit for the Hawks at 38.

fair point

Thx for your time and effort Snoop a great read.

Interested to know who u think might have gone picks 1 and 2 if the GWS kids had been included in this draft?

Well lets make it interesting and include Mitchell;

1. D.Shiel
2. S.Coniglio
3. J.Patton
4. T.Mitchell (i know i said he would be first and look bloody hard splitting top 5)
5. J.Cameron
6. C.Wingard
7. B.Longer
8. C.Hampton
9. WHE
10. D.Tyson
11. L.Sumner
12. A.Treloar
13. M.Grigg
14. T.Elton
15. T.Golds

Thats off the top of my head so maybe slightly out but interested in others view. Tom Bugg, Jack Hombsch and ANthony Miles would be somewhere thereabouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back