Should we change Australia Day from the 26th?

Should Australia Day be changed from the 26th to something else?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why. The monies paid out over the years should be more than enough compensation for any inconvenience caused by one day of celebration.

If they are treated poorly or discriminated against they shouldn't suck it up, but when we're talking about crimes from 200 years ago then yes you need to eventually get over it.

Imagine if the rest of the world never forgave and got over things? We would still hate Japan Italy Germany ect ect. Guess what, everyone else got over it. Bad shit happened to everyone in history, crying about it while your people live in poverty doesn't really achieve much.
We dont have public holidays for those things though. Auschwitz day wouldn't go down too well I'd imagine.

If they are treated poorly or discriminated against they shouldn't suck it up, but when we're talking about crimes from 200 years ago then yes you need to eventually get over it.

Imagine if the rest of the world never forgave and got over things? We would still hate Japan Italy Germany ect ect. Guess what, everyone else got over it. Bad shit happened to everyone in history, crying about it while your people live in poverty doesn't really achieve much.
You’re talking about different countries here. Armistices and treaties are signed war ends, everyone goes home, you rebuild.

So the injustices and trauma enacted only happened 200 years ago? That’s only when it started.

As an aside, Australia wasn’t officially in use until much later, 1901. It was known as NSW upon arrival.

Because a bunch of serial complainers who were here for 40,000 years yet built nothing have been sooking ever since about how "their" country was taken away because they were too weak & primitive to defend it?

Well they're more than welcome to join us in celebrating the magnificent civilization we've built. Really its a pretty simple choice they have, either obsess over a past injustice which is IMPOSSIBLE to rectify after 200 years, or focus on their future property by assimilating themselves into the population which plenty of Aboriginals have done extremely successfully.

If we scrap our national day because 2% of the population is offended we're a country of soft-minded flunkies who deserve to be invaded by the Chinese or Indonesians, which would be irony indeed. We don't have any more God-given right to this land than the Aboriginals did.

Just wrong.

Its 60,000 years.

We dont have public holidays for those things though. Auschwitz day wouldn't go down too well I'd imagine.

We have Anzac day which is the equivilient. Our Anzac troops killed a lot of people and had many horrible things happen to them, we moved on and now for example we are very close friends with the Japanese. The indigenous community would be far far better off to move on and focus their attention on productive things that actually improve their communities rather than focusing on 200 year old crimes and a date.

We have Anzac day which is the equivilient. Our Anzac troops killed a lot of people and had many horrible things happen to them, we moved on and now for example we are very close friends with the Japanese. The indigenous community would be far far better off to move on and focus their attention on productive things that actually improve their communities rather than focusing on 200 year old crimes and a date.
Free money is better than working for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free money is better than working for it.

No, the evil white man only oppresses aboriginals and never gives anything to them.

Didn't you know that 200 years ago some white guy murdered 30 aboriginals then got hanged for it? Anyone who celebrates Australia day and is white should feel horrible about that, because they are white too.

No, the evil white man only oppresses aboriginals and never gives anything to them.

Didn't you know that 200 years ago some white guy murdered 30 aboriginals then got hanged for it? Anyone who celebrates Australia day and is white should feel horrible about that, because they are white too.

Why should I be sorry for something that happened 200 hundred years ago. AH shit I'm dumb, here's another 300 million. Divide that by 30 and be grateful.
Because I'm a good bloke I won't deduct the cost of my 2 cars stolen and burn't, or the financial assistance I've given to aboriginal workmates.
You call me evil white man, you're the racist

Today’s aboriginals I see walking around do not seem to be oppressed, they get around cocky asF abusing people and doing what they want.

They do not give a damn about 200 years ago, they just want money, cigarettes and grog.

What day did white people officially take control of the land? From that date Australia became a Commonwealth nation. It is that date we should celebrate Australia day

If it's such a big deal, why is it only discussed this time of year and forgotten about for the other eleven months?

Bit like when the NRL State of Origin starts and pros and cons for an AFL SOO starts up again.

Back